Are all propane bottles the same?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Rich S » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:41 am

I have refilled the 1lb tanks for years. Before they came out with the adaptor I made one from a old propane tourch and BBQ adaptor. I have since bought one of the other adaptors.
You do have to be carefull. Last summer I got the brillant Idea of putting my empty,s in the deep freezer for several days. I got my 20 lb tank full and put it in the sun at over 100 degrees for several hours. It filled the 1 pounders really fast. I then put them in my shed. Several weeks later when we went camping I looked at the tanks, they looked like balloons. It was a miracle they did not explode.
Since then I cool them for about 15 minutes in icewater and use a scale. so far it has been working. :shock:
Rich S
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:48 am

I've been refilling the same two one pound bottles ever since I started teardroping, with no problems so far.

However, I do really have to watch out for the Propane Bottle Police every time I cross a state line! :lol: I just know they are out there looking for me! :shhh:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:04 pm

The only problems I've had is when they don't seal back up after you disconnect them. I have one or two that I leave hooked up to the regulator for that reason. After they do that, I pitch them when they are empty.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm

I have a good friend who refills his 1 pound bottles, but he also walked away from an airplane crash a few years ago.

Maybe that is why I still use liquid fuel!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:04 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Would consider getting one in something smaller like 5 or 10 lbs.

Danny-

Here's a 10#:

http://www.lpgastanks.com/propane-tanks/lc10

$102 Tho...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:30 pm

goldcoop wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Would consider getting one in something smaller like 5 or 10 lbs.

Danny-

Here's a 10#:

http://www.lpgastanks.com/propane-tanks/lc10

$102 Tho...

Cheers,

Coop

Thanks, I bookmarked/favorite it. :)Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets