Newbie Battery and Charger Questions

Anything electric, AC or DC

Newbie Battery and Charger Questions

Postby Andelburg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:17 pm

I have two deep cycle marine/RV batteries in my tiny trailer, connected to an automatic 10 amp charger, all installed by the dealer. This seemed like a great idea at the time, but the more I read my instruction manuals and books, the more nervous I get about the whole thing.

One book says that batteries should be brought inside for the winter. It's below freezing here at the moment, and the trailer is out in my driveway. Should I have brought my batteries inside?

The charger instructions say "Never crank engine with charger attached to battery." Are they talking about an AUTO battery (which obviously isn't an issue), or do they mean that I shouldn't start the car if the trailer is plugged into the car and the charger is connected to the trailer battery?

Just how big a problem is the whole hydrogen gas thing? Should I be nervous about the charger staying permanently connected to the batteries in this tiny trailer space?

Sorry--those are all probably profoundly stupid questions, but the instructions say things like "wear safety goggles" and "remove your rings" and "make sure someone is within range of your voice", and I'm getting the willies!

Thanks,
-Andrea
Andelburg
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie Battery and Charger Questions

Postby BufordT » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:59 pm

Andelburg wrote:I have two deep cycle marine/RV batteries in my tiny trailer, connected to an automatic 10 amp charger, all installed by the dealer. This seemed like a great idea at the time, but the more I read my instruction manuals and books, the more nervous I get about the whole thing.

One book says that batteries should be brought inside for the winter. It's below freezing here at the moment, and the trailer is out in my driveway. Should I have brought my batteries inside?

The charger instructions say "Never crank engine with charger attached to battery." Are they talking about an AUTO battery (which obviously isn't an issue), or do they mean that I shouldn't start the car if the trailer is plugged into the car and the charger is connected to the trailer battery?

Just how big a problem is the whole hydrogen gas thing? Should I be nervous about the charger staying permanently connected to the batteries in this tiny trailer space?

Sorry--those are all probably profoundly stupid questions, but the instructions say things like "wear safety goggles" and "remove your rings" and "make sure someone is within range of your voice", and I'm getting the willies!

Thanks,
-Andrea

Sounds like all good advise Andrea. I'd take the batteries inside for the winter.

The book is telling you don't start the engine with the charger running.
There shouldn't be a problem with starting the car with the trailer connected to the wiring harness.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:23 am

You have to remember that instructions are generally overly cautious. They don't want a law suit.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:33 am

Bringing your batteries inside for the winter is a good idea if you won't be using them. It will prolong their life, but you should to put a trickle charger on them once a month or so, just to keep the up. I have also left my batteries in over the winter with no problem, but if they too much, discharge they could freeze, so again, place a trickle cjharger on the once a month or so. Just depends on if you will be using the camper over the winter.

If you do bring them in for the winter, keep them away from flames (furnace, gas water heater). They say not to set them on the concrete, it will discharge the, place a board under them. I've heard that is just an old wives tale, but why take a chance.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Olde wives

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 pm

Especially since one of the old wives might come up and bite your butt if you batteries go dead.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets