Big box store windows?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 am

...forget the plexiglass and think polycarbonate/lexan for your replacements.................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby wok » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 am

I found this site.. www.usplastics.com. they have a great selection of all kinds of random odds and ends that some might find useful. I am returning my storm windows and I orderd some of this last night http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=10477
For $30 + shpping ($8), I got 7 sheets of 1/8" thick. I got a huge pile of window screens from Lowes that were supposedly damaged (only one is) for $10, and I have a huge pile of 2x2's so now I can get creative and save a little money. Just need hinges now. What are the best type of fittings (not sure what they are called) so I an open my windows from inside, swing open up style, without having to remove screen or go outside? is it called a piano hinge or something?
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:25 am

The bad thing about plexi and lexan is that they will scratch if you breathe on them wrong.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:36 am

Having been in the sign industry for a number of years, Rocky is right, both will scratch pretty easily. Plex is more stable for expansion and contraction through heat cycles, but polycarb (Lexan) is more break resistant..like 30 times as much as plex..you can put Lexan through a break and bend up 90 degree angles on it....I had signs with a 38 slug shot through them, and the poly ones held up, but the plex ones would fracture, and that was in the inner city of Denver!....Poly carb has a water component in it that allows it to expand and contract more...On windows of this size I don't think it would be an issue, but on a large sign it certainly was...the big thing, is that they both will scratch easily and cloud over time...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby wok » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:49 am

ahh shoot! is acrylic or whatever I linked to the same things as plexi? Haha I guess I will be returning my second set of windows. I need to be really careful in picking out round three. :thinking:

Im somewhat not looking foward to having to return all that stuff I ordered. If the big downside is scratching... what would happen if I put automotive window tint on it, and replaced every few years as needed? The inside shouldnt get too much contact as the screen will block it. Its only the outside I will need to worry about. Or is window tinting film and plexi a bad idea?
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 am

You can get polycarbonate with several different applied coatings for different types of things... like a scratch resistant coating for example.
My experience with polycarb with this type of treatment has shown me that it does help a bit. With great care, it is possible to keep normal uncoated polycarb looking good for quite a while... "Flood" the surface clean. :lol:
Myself, I'd go with tempered glass, unless the application called for a curved surface.
Oh Yaa... If you think polycarb is expensive, get a quote on a piece that is coated. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby wok » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:29 am

Dean:
My problem now is I already have a nice pile of plexi in the mail :( . But if you reccomend finding some that is coated, I think I will try the next best thing with my own low tech homegrown version ( a roll of tint from wallyworld) and hope it works out. Its cheap and I can make use of the stuff I ordered. Hmmm this is almost a case of needing to measure twice and cut once... I need to get ALL the info before making a purchase. HA :lol: . I will learn eventually. Thanks for the advice!!
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:38 am

madjack wrote:...forget the plexiglass and think polycarbonate/lexan for your replacements.................... 8)

Its lexan of sorts they use here for the boat and ship industry - And Ive seen the product. Some have it on for years and they still look like new. The industry doesnt seem to complain about it sooooooo. And as Dean says it has a scratch resistant coating ..

And since the tear isnt going to be used in winter ... It isnt going to scratch that much...

So thats what we decided to go with ...

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Claw » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am

wok,
The acrylic you ordered seems pretty inexpensive to me, even if you replaced it every couple years. But like Dean said if you flooded it to clean instead of wiping it I would think it would last many years.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Re: Big box store windows?

Postby Nic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:02 am

mikeschn wrote:I just wondered if the big box stores have any windows that I could use in a teardrop, or do I have to make them from scratch.

In order for a window to be decent for the road, it should be relatively lightweight, and sorta resistant to breakage. Oh yea, it shouldn't have any panels that just "lift out". Can you imagine going over a bump and losing your window? :o

So has anyone seen a window that might work, or do I have to do something like this...

http://www.deansofidaho.com/teardrop/wi ... ndows.html

Mike...
Hey Mike. Here are a couple pix of the windows i built. I used 1x2" wood frame for the wall and the window. I used plexi and just cut a slice out of the window frame for the plexi. I did the same for my front and top window. Image

Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby wok » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:15 am

Nic:
How did you notch the wood to make a slot for the plexi? Im planning on doing my windows the same way, but I would like to find a way to make a notch for the length of the wood for the peice to set in.... if that makes any sense.....
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Hey Wok. Once i had the frame cut i ran each side through the table saw. The cut is more to the outside of the frame. That gives room for any latch or lock to bol to the inside of the frame. I have one of them out right now. I will take some close up pix for ya. OH.... on the sky light i did the same thing. Only i brough the glass real close to the edge to keep water from standing so much.
Nic
500 Club

Postby wok » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Nic...
That sounds good (now i just gotta find a table saw :thinking: ) I'd love to see some pics! Its good to see the design in action before I have a go at it myself. Does your sunroof pop-up? I thinking about making one with a wide frame, so then laid flat it stood off my roof a good little bit, so I would have room to make the inside somewhat raised to keep water out, and then have the window wide frame sit down over that, with a hinge at the front, and a healthy application of weather stripping. Does that make any sense?
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:42 am

I took some pix of the windows for you today. Let me size them and i will hit you up.
Nic
500 Club

Postby wok » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Thank you!! 8) 8)
wok
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion