Best Charcoal for Cobb BBQ Grill?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Best Charcoal for Cobb BBQ Grill?

Postby tandmkennedy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:39 pm

We are kinda new to charcoal grills - used to propane. As our other post indicates we purchased the Cobb grill and are wondering what is the best charcoal to use? What about charcoal firestarters?

Mike & Tricia in So Cal
Mike & Tricia in So Cal

Adventures in our T@B Blog
tandmkennedy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:20 am

Personally I like the Kingsford self lighting type...

But, heres a load of info: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html

Then there is this: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:06 am

The new Kingsford with the "K" embossed on them works well. They have a Kingsford that Mesquite wood in it for a more smoky flavor.

I've played around with lump charcoal, wood, and regular charcoal. they all have their pluses and minuses. The best compromise (for me) is to put wood chunks in with the charcoal.

Playing with it and finding out what works is half the fun. I don't have any first hand experience with a Cobb. I use a chimney starter to light my coals. I speed it up by putting the chimney starter on my turkey fryer burner. If I need to fan the coals, I use a battery powered blower. The blower is to inflate air mattresses, since I have a tear now, I don't use the air mattress anymore.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:48 am

Have 1 hard fast rule at my house NOTHING BUT KINGSFORD AND GULF LIGHT STARTER . We grill year around and if I spend 20 minutes shoveling snow off the deck to cook I want it right. Personally don't like the self light charcoal . For big pieces (Turkeys or whole tenderloins) use the indirect method by filling a large stainless steel bowl with clear water and setting it dead center under the meat. Ring a generous amount of charcoal around the outside of the fire bowl and light. The heat is indirect and will cook slow and even. Use a meat thermometer to be sure its done.
A 21 pound turkey should take 4-5 hours and a whole tenderloin 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
For pork and poultry I like to snap small apple twigs and add to the coals it add a smokey flavor. I pack a smokey Joe Junior by Weber as our camping grill. While only 15" in diameter it will cook for 4 - 6 people.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:11 am

Went looking at the cobb grill. I was totally unfamiliar with this little unit.
Originally designed to be fueled with dry whole corn on the cob. I would be interested to know how that fuel rates as the heat source. However at $ 129.00 I don't think one is in my immediate future. Then again if it really cooks with only 8-10 bricketts how many bags of kingsford can I save a year

:thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 am

bobhenry wrote: However at $ 129.00 I don't think one is in my immediate future. Then again if it really cooks with only 8-10 bricketts how many bags of kingsford can I save a year

You can find them for much less, almost half price when on sale at Camping World. You will save even more on brickets, 10 is too many. I normally use 6 for every thing, including a tritip roast.
There are not enough corn cobbs around to test that out but being able to pick up the BBQ and move it while it is hot comes in handy. ;)
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby MarksMG » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:49 am

I use Kingsford also but I am kinda bias on the subject. There is a Kingsford plant just a few miles from my camp and I have friend who works there. I have not had to pay for charcoal for years. :thumbsup:

Mark
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

Postby tandmkennedy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 pm

OK...so we bought and used the Kingsford Charcoal with the "K" stamped in it. Worked great in the COBB. Thanks for the info!

Mike and Tricia in So Cal
Mike & Tricia in So Cal

Adventures in our T@B Blog
tandmkennedy
Teardrop Builder

Return to Camping Secrets