AC, DC, or Both?

Anything electric, AC or DC

AC, DC, or Both?

Postby DestinDave » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:22 am

What a great site! I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as time goes on but for now - I'm planning on a 12VDC power system (6volt batteries ganged together) with an inverter so I can use 120AC lights and appliances. Then I could use AC shore power in a campground also. Any thoughts on AC versus DC or a combination system would be greatly appreciated.
PS - any teardroppers in the St Louis area? :roll:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:57 pm

Dave,

From what I've read here, it's a personal choice on how you want to do it. I'm currently building a teardrop and because of the way I'm going to use it, it will have 12 VDC only.

And welcome to T&TTT. I've only been on here a short while myself, but I already know there is a lot of knowledge on almost any subject with the membership here.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:58 pm

Welcome to T&TTT Dave,

My first two teardrops had both ac and dc. I use a power supply to run my 12 v lighting when I am plugged into shore line. A flip of the toggle switch, and I am running on battery. ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks Steve and Mike for prompt replies. I am planning to use my tear mainly for weekend photo-op trips to the wilderness hence the need for battery power but I like my coffemaker, heater, TV and they run better on AC.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:08 am

The main problem with A/C current when using an inverter, is that it requires a lot of batteries, which are HEAVY. I'm also interested in bus conversions, and inverters are popular with them, but battery weight is'nt a big issue in a 20,000 pound bus.

I'm planning on using 12v lights (with a converter while hooked to 110v), and using propane for my stove (no coffee maker, just a percolator). The converter will also keep my battery charged while hooked to 110v.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:44 am

but I like my coffemaker, heater, TV and they run better on AC

Dave,

I hear ya man. I plan on using a perculator on the stove, will not need a heater in TX, and have bought a small 12VDC combo TV and radio. Hey, I figure that's "roughing it". ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Why I am Using 12 V DC

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi Dave

I am not in the construction stage yet. Instead I am doing a lot of reading and planning. I want the flexibility of both 12 v and shore power. But I want to keep the cost of construction as low as possible.

For me this means I have decided I don't want to pay to install two separate electirical lighting system.

I will install only 12 v DC lights, fans, etc. I am planning on using some LED lights as well as a few select incadecent light and a 12 v DC area florecent in the hatch pantry.

This will enable me to use the conveniences I desire when on deep cycle battery supply. But I am also designing a converter that will power the 12 system when there is AC shore power.

My system will include all the saftey features of a 12 v DC fuse boxe, as well as a pannel to control the system. I will use a double pole double toggle switch rated at the required amps to switch between battery and the power supply converter.

The power supply is will use is a modified computer power supply adapted for 12v DC. You can see these components at the following sites.

When shore power is available, I can use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and a power strip to power AC needs

Read up, plan the work and work the plan!

Have fun!

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20Camper.htm#12VDC

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Woody » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:57 pm

The main thing is to plan it for both so it will be easier to add it later and to prevent a major hassle after the fact. Trust me it's a P.I.T.A. after the fact
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets