changing AC location...set outside & run vent in... help

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

changing AC location...set outside & run vent in... help

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:14 am

Okay, I was going to put the small window a/c on the interior cabin shelf, vent it for intake/exhaust out the side but hadn't come up with the drain pan stuff yet......

now I'm thinking I'll just keep it in the car, then place it under the door or under the galley at the campsite, and rig the duct work up to the side wall and have some vent inside to run the air in... does that make sense?

I know IndyCubby and or McTeardrops... someone else has done this.. What works best for creating the catch at the a/c vent to hook it to the duct to run into the TD ?

Is that as clear as mud? haha
AND do you just let it sit on the ground , maybe beside or under the trailer and then what do you do when you need to adjust it in the night, or turn it off? Mine doesn't have a remote, bought it new last year. But it does have built in thermostat and can do vent or cool.

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Too much work. Mount it permanently.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:01 pm

The thermostat sits right behind of the inside airfilter. It checks the air temprature right before it blows it thru the cold parts (evaporator) and into the cabin.

With the setup you propose, it will draw in outside air, blow it thru the evaporator, then into the cabin. It will never sese the cold air for the thermostat to work. You can do it like that but unless you rig up a recirculating air hose, your thermostat won't work.

Of course this is how it is supposed to work, not really how it works in real life. Some have done it like this and they aren't frozen popsicles.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Bandit » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 pm

I mounted a hatch door on the front of my Weekender and then mounted the AC unit on a slider. When traveling, the AC is slide in and I close the door. When I get to my site, I open the hatch, slide out the AC unit, attach a collapsible hose to the drain and run it away from the surroundings of the tear and I'm chilled. I worked out very well. There are a few others that have used a slide-out AC Unit.
The problems of installing when on site is it is another task that has to be done over and over again. The problem with permanently mounting it in the galley is that it robs you of precious storage space and you still have to do some elaborate venting and it also forces you to mount it low.
Mine is mounted mid way up the front of the Tear and it blows in over our heads and towards our feet. I did not want it blowing towards my face.
Just my 4 or 5 cents worth, because 2 cents is worth nothing anymore!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Julie, I found these pics when I first joined the forum. I do not remember who's it is, but I plan to copy them. Hope this helps.

Mk

Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:14 pm

thanks for those pics MK......................

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Yeah, thanks MK .... a picture is worth a thousand words!

I'll decide whether to do that or not... I really would rather have the ac inside, just so as to not have to mess with it when setting up... or picking it up and moving it all the time.
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi Julie,

Here are some pictures on how we mounted our ac. It is mounted to the tounge and ducted in at the headboard. We lengthened the thermostat wires so it reads the inside air temperature and shuts off.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/album/576460762392546887

Keith
Last edited by Keith on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Julie,

The pictures Mary has posted are of my airconditioner setup. Just wanted to say it works, but not perfect as the thermostat does not sence the inside temperature of the trailer because there is no return air. I also have to keep a vent open to make it work, which is not really a bad thing. However, waking up at midnight with icycles hanging from you ears is not too good. Have not gone to the trouble yet to fabricate a thermostat to the inside of the trailer.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah, the thermostat reading and having it outside and a bugger to have to get up and out at 3 am to turn it off is a downside.

I've seen the tongue set up on some, and venting it in to the area above the head, or the like.... I have my battery on the tongue, and might consider that if the weight will not be too much. I don't have any extra space on the 'headboard' area though... so I guess could just mount a 'register' there?

I'll do some brainstorming , or may just go with the original plan after all...

thanks all !
Julie
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:14 pm

Jewel, the easiest way of mounting a A/C without tearing up the Tear that I've seen is to make a second door with the A/C mounted to it and use Marine hinges to change doors.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm

SteveH wrote:Julie,

The pictures Mary has posted are of my airconditioner setup. Just wanted to say it works, but not perfect as the thermostat does not sence the inside temperature of the trailer because there is no return air. I also have to keep a vent open to make it work, which is not really a bad thing. However, waking up at midnight with icycles hanging from you ears is not too good. Have not gone to the trouble yet to fabricate a thermostat to the inside of the trailer.

Okay, Great now I Know who I stole the idea from...Thanks! I hope you don't mind I posted your pictures. I saved them long ago when I was researching for my build.

And I don't mind icicles... just pile up the quilts!!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Mary K wrote:
SteveH wrote:Julie,

Okay, Great now I Know who I stole the idea from...Thanks! I hope you don't mind I posted your pictures. I saved them long ago when I was researching for my build.

And I don't mind icicles... just pile up the quilts!!!

Mk

No problem at all, Mary...just send royalty checks! :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

AC

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 pm

I originally had my ac mounted in the lower galley wall, but i took up some of my footroom, so I built a duct to go from the floor thru the galley, then hang it from the frame with rope and turnbackles, hook it to the duct with two 3 inch tubes(RV sewer tube, new not used), it is alot quieter than before. It does run all the time, and to shut i off, I just get out and reach underneath and hit the on/off switch. It stil needs some tweaking, but works good.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby glassice » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 am

could you add a separate thermostat that tied in to the plug to kill the power when it to cold and back on when warm? It looks like you can add a face box some what like Julie's set up
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques