Dexter Axle Info...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Dexter Axle Info...

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 pm

This is just an FYI:
Background: I have a Dexter 2k# axle, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I purchased automotive aluminum mod wheels 15x7 (most trailer wheels are 15x5 or 6); since they're a little "nicer" I opted for the auto wheels, however, on some auto wheels the bolt plate is quite a bit more thick than a standard trailer wheel and the hub hole on the auto wheel is considerably larger...so, when I bolted my wheels to the axle there wasn't enough thread left on the studs and the center hub opening wasn't riding on the axle hub...so :thinking: hmmm, what to do now. Most would say 1.) buy a regular trailer rim which is typically a 0 offset, the hub opening is 2.5" and the studs will be more than long enough or 2.) just press the studs out and replace them with longer studs...well... not so much the case.

Dexter axles: 4 lug is typically for 8-12" wheels; 5 lug is for 13-15" wheels. Trailer hubs are VERY different from automotive hubs in hub size and stud size...while automotive studs are made in 1/2x20 threads, the knerl (spline on stud) is different than automotive. When you replace studs there are 3 measurements you have to have to get the right one: 1.) knerl size (diameter of the stud at the splines) 2.) number of serations and 3.) bolt size and length. Well.. 1/2 auto knerl is about .68" and on a trailer, not just Dexter, the knerl size is .545". Hub diameter on a 5 bolt auto is about 3.2" and on a trailer it's about 2.5"... THUS, most auto stores do NOT carry studs for a trailer hub; but they can be found and I found my replacements at http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=190 and they verified theirs were .545.
Now, the hub hole on my wheel is still quite a bit to big for the trailer hub...BUT, Dexter axles are NOT made for hub centered wheels (thus why they accomidate 13-15" wheels)... HOWEVER, the hubs are designed to be wheel lug centering via an "a-corn" (so MAG auto wheels simply cannot be used, so make sure you get wheels that have a conifer in them (recess for an acorn nut) and make sure you get a lug nut that has the same pitch as the wheel... 40-50-60 degrees. Another option is to not have studs but "tap axle" but I'd venture to say most of us have stud axles; If you are EVER in doubt, call Dexter... this is where I got all my info and they were so very happy to help me. You just have to go to their website, go to contact and call the corporate headquarters and ask for engineering... they can tell you everything about their axles and if you have your customer number or serial number or part number they can tell you EXACTLY what you want to know about "your" axle.

I purchased my axle direct from Dexter for only $40 more (shipping) than a "local dealer" and I had my axle in 3 days...when I called they had all my info ASAP, and told me exactly what I needed to do to correct my "use auto wheels on their axle" and it was awesome. This has turned into a VERY long post but I though some might like to know this lil tid-bit.

ALSO, before you order, you can call Dexter Engineering to size your axle.. you can tell them your frame width, how high you want it off the ground, etc and they will print out a report giving you all the specs of the trailer empty, 1/2 loaded and fully loaded.. min. fender height, space of arms, etc, etc. kinda takes the guess work out of ordering an axle.....it's free and they'll fax it to you WHILE you're talking to them...I can't say enough good things.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks Keith, :thumbsup: I saved this information it will come in handy when I order my Dexter Torsion axle, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby brian_bp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 pm

A couple more related bits of info...

Dexter sells various studs as separate parts, which addresses the issue of getting the right ones. You can even get studs which screw into a hub which was used with wheel bolts. Check out their catalog at www.dexteraxle.com

I doubt you can safely assume that every automotive wheel has the same size centre hole, even among wheels of the right offset. It's worth checking.

Many aluminum alloy automotive wheels - perhaps most - have tapered seats for use with conical nuts... so some car wheels will work fine.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Keith B » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Agreed... Dexter was/is awesome.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets