I hate trim!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Don't know what "look" you're going for, but you could use refrigerant line... flexible copper tubing. Don't know if it'll go with the look you want...but a thought. You could glue it in or use "fancy" hangers, etc... you could "also" use it as a wire chase in the future if you wanted too.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:46 pm

EZ wrote:Mary K, it sort of looks like you are trying to bend the trim in 2 dimensions if that makes sense, because you are doing the corner. I did "one dimension" like along the curve of the ceiling but just butted up agains the side wall. Does that make sense? It seems to me that is why the trim is twisting. Maybe you are just asking too much of it over a small radius.

I'm not sure I understand that but I know what I meant.
:chicken:

Ed

Yea, it was twisting alright. frigingfragging#$@!%^**!!!#$@#$@#@#% can I say FartKnockers here???? :fb :fb

Not you Ed, I'm cussing the trim..I would never say that to someones face. :oops: :D

See it's making me bi-polar.

Miriam C. wrote::cry: Mary K try taking the wood trim to the shower with you. Kinda pre-bend by leaning on it some. Rather than a heat gun on the plastic a good hair dryer will probably work. ;) :thumbsup:

Did you try coving instead of quarter round? I need to know what not to get. 8) :D

No! No! No! I'm not buying another piece of wood!!! And you can not make me. :baby: :fb :noyes:

Mk :D
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Mary...on some of that 1/4 round material...what I've done in the past is to cut down a lot of the material on the back 90 degree...get rid of the squared off edge...the more material you get out of the trim the easier it will bend...also make sure you pick out really straight sticks...I make my own up from mohagany...dunno if any of this makes any sense...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Mary, you got further with it than I did. The first piece I tried to bend snapped where they spliced it together. I just quit while I had a cool head.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm

doug hodder wrote:Mary...on some of that 1/4 round material...what I've done in the past is to cut down a lot of the material on the back 90 degree...get rid of the squared off edge...the more material you get out of the trim the easier it will bend...also make sure you pick out really straight sticks...I make my own up from mohagany...dunno if any of this makes any sense...Doug

Doug please show a pic or 3 of the self made mahogany stuff.... ohhh pleaseeeeeee.. as Im going to get into that soon ...

Mary - Find a local Finn with a hot sauna on a Friday or Saturday night..go enjoy a Sauna and take the moulding with ya.. It will bend... :lol: :lol: :lol: Believe me it will bend.... 8) 8) Unless of course the person taking the sauna will bend 1st.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm

doug hodder wrote:Mary...on some of that 1/4 round material...what I've done in the past is to cut down a lot of the material on the back 90 degree...get rid of the squared off edge...the more material you get out of the trim the easier it will bend...also make sure you pick out really straight sticks...I make my own up from mohagany...dunno if any of this makes any sense...Doug

Someone needs to give a how-to on making trim. Picture book-on line-here would be nice. :worship:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Here's a drawing of what Doug was talking about

toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:37 pm

toypusher wrote:Here's a drawing of what Doug was talking about

Ahhhh haaaaaa :thinking: and it will bend after that procedure? :roll: :roll:

Classic Finn :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
toypusher wrote:Here's a drawing of what Doug was talking about

Ahhhh haaaaaa :thinking: and it will bend after that procedure? :roll: :roll:

Classic Finn :D

It will bend easier with less likelyhood of breaking. 8)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 pm

MK doesn't have a table saw or router but I bet a draw knife or even a pocket knife would do that.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm

That's what I'm talking about Kerry...but I made mine with a router and 45 degree chamfer on it, instead of a 1/4 round...then removed material on the back using a small block plane...they are only 1/2" wide on the face..I don't have a good close up of the trim and aren't going down to that garage tonight as it's dumping snow....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Mary... If you are just using the trim to cover slight gaps between the wall and the roof line.... Why not use small flat pieces.. like1/4 or 1/8 x 1/2" and glue it to the roof line butted up against the wall? You don't need angled trim...... :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Mary K
Just a suggestion: go to an upholstery shop, supply place or a big fabric stores and get some cording used for chars. Have them or if you have a sowing machine cover the cording with some fancy fabric. Then get some of the fancy headed nails and tack that about every 2 or 3”. Should look groovy!! 8)

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:46 am

I can't remember what it was but on the Chubby i found some floppy plastic stuff that looked like wood (1/4 round -- kinda) maybe 3/8 on one side and 3/4 on the other with a rounded edge. That stuff was so floppy youhad to double it to tote it (tote -- good southern term (creole?)means "carry, lug, pack, convey"). Yeah, we use to tote a poke from the store. :R

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:08 am

WOW!! Thanks Everybody for the input. This will be great for other builders. 'Cause I am not buying more trim. :lol: Serious, I like the rope or tubing idea.

Doug, I get it and Kerry thanks for the drawing. I can see how that would make it easier. :thumbsup: Maybe on my next build...nononono don't say it....

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques