Will a car battery do the job?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Will a car battery do the job?

Postby Nic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:32 am

Ok so i want to save money when camping by not having hook-ups. So im going to go for a battery and inverter set up. And just charge the battery back up once i get home. Everyone says to use a marine battery. Do any of you use a car battery? How well do they work out? :thinking:
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:52 am

Nic it's a few dollars difference between the prices. The auto battery will not last as long ( ie buying a replacement battery more often ) and will not tolerate deep discharge like a RV or Marine ( or better golf cart batteries ) battery will.
If you do buy one always charge it outside where fresh air can expell the explosive gases. Fuse everything connected to it ( it can have a melt-down / explosion ) both positive and negitive leads that can drop or run accoss the battery( short circuit pathes - can you say BOOM or FIRE) on any battery you use. I know other will chime in to let you know the pitfalls also.

;) :thumbsup:
Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:19 am

Nic, you can go to your nearest battery outlet and ask for a blem. Those are batteries that sit on the shelf for too long. Last I bought was $35. Ditto what Pat said. Charge outside and fuse everything.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby len19070 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:20 am

A starting battery and a deep cycle battery are made to do 2 different things. A start battery is made to discharge a lot of amps for short periods of time while a deep cycle is made to discharge low amps over a long period of time.

Its like compareing a Long distance runner, with one thats in the 100 yard dash.

When buying a deep cycle be certain you don't get a "Marine Deep cycle starting battery". This is a hybrid battery made to do both, but in reality it doesn't do either very well. Sears likes to push these on to people.

Stay away from if you see the words "Start" or "Dual purpose"

In so much as these Hybrids are the same price as the Proper Deep Cycle. It makes sense not to get one. The hybrids will work..but not as long.

I use a standard Camping World $86 Group 27 (27=size. the larger size) Interstate Deep cycle battery. they lasts 5 years. with proper care. And I very seldom go where there is 110V power.

There are all kind of charts and discharge tabels, flow rates you can get bombarded with AND there are better, more costly Batteries out there.

BUT Either the Interstate Group 24 or 27 Standard deep cycle Battery has been the most accepted and proven Deep Cycle battery in the RV industry For years.

Hope this helps

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:02 am

len19070 wrote:A starting battery and a deep cycle battery are made to do 2 different things. A start battery is made to discharge a lot of amps for short periods of time while a deep cycle is made to discharge low amps over a long period of time.

Its like compareing a Long distance runner, with one thats in the 100 yard dash.

When buying a deep cycle be certain you don't get a "Marine Deep cycle starting battery". This is a hybrid battery made to do both, but in reality it doesn't do either very well. Sears likes to push these on to people.

Stay away from if you see the words "Start" or "Dual purpose"

In so much as these Hybrids are the same price as the Proper Deep Cycle. It makes sense not to get one. The hybrids will work..but not as long.

I use a standard Camping World $86 Group 27 (27=size. the larger size) Interstate Deep cycle battery. they lasts 5 years. with proper care. And I very seldom go where there is 110V power.

There are all kind of charts and discharge tabels, flow rates you can get bombarded with AND there are better, more costly Batteries out there.

BUT Either the Interstate Group 24 or 27 Standard deep cycle Battery has been the most accepted and proven Deep Cycle battery in the RV industry For years.

Hope this helps

Happy Trails

Len

Hey, this is good info. I didn't know that--so who knows WHAT I bought? (Gotta look tonight.)

I got one at Wally World and just bought a middle-priced one. Wasn't too expensive.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Craig McCormick » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:26 am

Nic,

I have used a regular car battery for the last three years and it is still going strong. I paid about $40.00 for it.

AZCRAIG
Craig McCormick
Teardrop Master

Postby sledge » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:30 am

The Wife and I do a lot of fishing, ( River Fishing ) in places where you can't get a boat to the water, we use a little paddle boat the kind you paddle with your feet like riding a bike., because it's light and small and easy to get to the water....I took the paddles off it because neither one of us are able to paddle the thing. :lol: BUT........ we use a Trolling motor , at first we used a Car Battery, it will drain a car battery in an hour , and a Deep Cycle Battery will last 2 or 3 times as long...... there is a BIG difference. :thumbsup:
sledge
500 Club

Postby EZ » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:51 am

My 74 amp/hr. Walmart deep cycle battery cost $39.99 (and then the $6 case). That should easily last me all weekend or more using lights and fan. That's pretty cheap. I'll bet it will outlast any car battery.

Don't use a car battery unless you get it for free and you are super frugal and don't buy a marine battery when you can get a deep cycle.
:lightbulb: :lightbulb: :fan:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby reiltear » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi, Nic!

You also might want to check out the sdtripper2's index. Somewhere half-way down the page there is a list of electrical stuff. I know, it's a lot to read, but if you want to really get edumecated on both sides of the electrical coin, take a peek at those threads.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=12276

If that is too much info to digest, ditto with what everyone else has said here.

ilya
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Ok so next question.... You say to fuse everything. Well i have not run power through my camper yet. For now i am using a power strip. So im wanting to plug my cord into an inverter ..to a battery. Will my power strip surge protector work well enough as a fuse to everything?
Nic
500 Club

Postby Nic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:39 pm

I have a 13" tv and stereo in my rig. Do any of you run your TV off of the battery inverter set up? My TV will work on a cig plug but i dont have one in the camper as of yet.
Nic
500 Club

Postby Nic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:41 pm

( hey ilya, your shop looks JUST LIKE mine! ) hahahaha. Only you have less stuff in yours. HAHAHAHA!
Nic
500 Club

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Most power strips are worthless as to real surge protection, and I doubt you're gonna get any kind of a surge from a deep cycle battery--unless it's hit by lightning.

Even if you do, the INVERTER is fused.

I just don't see any real risk of danger with a 12v battery and inverter.

I would be worried if you're using sensitive electronic equpiment, but for lights and a fan? But even during the hurricane, it ran my TV with no problem.

Also Nic--have you considered just hooking the inverter to your car battery? This saved a LOT of us folks during power outages due to hurricanes. And you just run the car for a few minutes to charge the battery.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby len19070 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:09 pm

EZ wrote:Don't use a car battery unless you get it for free

Thats good advise ED.

Don't get me wrong. Anything will work, for a while. But if you have to buy new, car battery's, Deep Cycle battery's, and Marine Start Battery's are all about the same price.

Get the right one.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:53 pm

I thought about the use of my car. In the trunk i have a cig power plug. I thought about getting an inverter that will plug in there. But i just put a new battery in my car and dont want to mess it up. They are a pain to change out.
If i did use my car battery how often would i need to start my car up? I guess its a good thing its a stick. :D
Nic
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion