Input required

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Input required

Postby mamos » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi all

I have been playing around with scissors and sticky tape and have come up with this shape.

Please let me know good or bad what you think.

Although I have never seen a teardrop this shape before I am under no illussions and I am sure it has been done.

I find the shape very pleasing to the eye and I think it would slip through the air nicely.

I thank you in advance for any input.

mamos
Last edited by mamos on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamos
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby s4son » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Or the Camp Inn 560 (Raindrop). A very nice trailer by the way.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:23 pm

Hey, Yea I like that design... :thinking: I'm trying to imagine how to do the frame work on the front....

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:08 pm

Very Cool & doable, mamos!

I say go for it ... love to see it 1-to-1!

I've had a similar design on paper for about 7 years where the front part looks like (and is constructed like) the pilothouse of an old wooden trawler. If I ever get 'round to building my "ultimate teardrop", that'll be it!

Good Luck with your build, mamos, and keep us satisfied with lots 'o pictures ... :thumbsup: ... :thumbsup:

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mamos » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks for your input, very encouraging.

As for framing Mary, I've been awake most of the night fretting over it. I was thinking of laminated wood framing or a more radical idea is to make the body a monocoque glass fibre structure with no need for framing.

more soon

mamos
mamos
Teardrop Inspector

me too

Postby irondance2003 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:09 pm

I too have been playing with this design since a search poped up the Camp Inn 560.
At present the design idea's 5ft high body with a 8in stepdown well (width of the door so you can stand inside ) I designed a 4ft high door and have had it made.
design needs to be 10ft minium ,useing the CampInn's front bench you get a internal seating for lunch or to watch the game on tv.
Quickest way to see
http://www.australianteardroptrailers.com
then go to THE BLACK DUCK
Build with CARE, TIME will tell.OH and I changed my website in dec07
irondance2003
Teardrop Master

Postby mamos » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Very interesting website there

Love the morris 1000

mamos
mamos
Teardrop Inspector

Postby paddlehead » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Mamos,

Wa-flyfisher posted a link to the Drip Off album. If you look on page 5 you can see some of the framing for the front. The sides are pretty standard, with 1/4" outside, 3/4" framing and insulation and 1/8" inner skin. About 4" in front of the door hinge, we transitioned to 1 1/2" thick framing, basically 1x2's. Outer skin is 1/8" birch, then 1 1/2" of insulation (Foamular) and 1/8" inner skin. We routed a 1/8" by about 1 1/2" landing into the front edge of the 1/4" side panel so there is a smooth transition between the front and side panels. With the foam in between and .032 aluminum skin outside it is quite strong. Here are a few pictures.

I can't seem to get the first picture in the sequence to stick, but if you look in the album you will see that we built the front framing first (might have been easier to put up the sides first), then put up the sides, then skinned the front.
Don

paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby s4son » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Don,
How did you get the front corner windows to curve?

Scott F. :thinking:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby paddlehead » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Scott,

We baked them in the oven at about 275° to 300° for about 10 minutes. They were supported on two edges by a couple of 1x2's. When they sagged to what looked like the right amount, I took them out and placed them over a form I had built that was covered with a soft cotton cloth. I sort of pushed a little until they were about the same curve as the form, then let them cool. Did a little experimenting first with some scraps to work out the kinks. Here is a link, hopefully to an earlier discussion on that process. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=
I used standard 1/4" acrylic, not Lexan. It worked quite well.

Don
Last edited by paddlehead on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby pauld3 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:10 pm

...or you can cut the curved pieces out of 3/4 " plywood like we did here for our galley curve...
This is me playing connect the dots to make the curve before I cut them out with the Jig Saw. This worked well for us. Once we had it in place, we used a belt sander to smooth it to the exact curve we wanted. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you..we were horizontal and you'll be vertical...but the concept is the same...I think! :roll:
Lynn
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Don, that looks great :thumbsup: ...I think on Lexan, you have to bake it at a slightly higher temp(350orso)............ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Input required

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm

mamos wrote:Hi all

I have been playing around with scissors and sticky tape and have come up with this shape.

Please let me know good or bad what you think.

Although I have never seen a teardrop this shape before I am under no illussions and I am sure it has been done.

I find the shape very pleasing to the eye and I think it would slip through the air nicely.

I thank you in advance for any input.

mamos

I had not seen your design until today but here are some that are like yours including the one I am now building.
113660 a CAD drawing of my trailer hope I come close!!

and as you whisk trough my build sit you will see other from around the world.

Rain drop from CampInn was my inspiration
http://tinycamper.com/raindrop560ultra.htm

at this point the walls are off and am in process of cutting out the doors. hope done June. :rofl2: am I feeling any pressure :oops: maybe a little when you design as you go and build at the same time and you find the door frames are crooked and wonder how one should cut the door :?

Did you make it? my first trailer BoxKite was done in 2007 and 7 years later the Cross Bow is born.
Nice desgin :thumbsup:
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Input required

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm

The bow front or raindrop trailer is among the best designs being built these days.
I would think that it would be especially good for trailers that are wider than the tow vehicle. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Traditional Designs