Oven Temperature Advice

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Oven Temperature Advice

Postby CPASPARKS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I bought a folding Coleman oven for my propane stove.

I have cooked biscuits and cinnamon rolls in it so far.

I have a problem though. If the top of the food looks done...the bottom is burnt. If the bottom is done the top is still gooey. :?

I have been cooking on the middle shelf and have tried putting foil on top and on bottom...

Any suggestions?
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Re: Oven Temperature Advice

Postby Kevin A » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 pm

CPASPARKS wrote:I bought a folding Coleman oven for my propane stove.

I have cooked biscuits and cinnamon rolls in it so far.

I have a problem though. If the top of the food looks done...the bottom is burnt. If the bottom is done the top is still gooey. :?

I have been cooking on the middle shelf and have tried putting foil on top and on bottom...

Any suggestions?

Get a couple dutch ovens? :roll: ;) :)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby apratt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:26 pm

I have not done a whole lot of baking in mine. This seems to help... lower the temp about 25 degrees and let it cook a little longer. See if that help, I need to play around with mine some more. I wished I spent a little more for a better oven.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:46 pm

CPASparks...you may have gotten one of the ovens developed for the Southern Hemisphere :lol: :lol: trade it out for a Northern Hemisphere model, burns from the top down... honestly...I've burned many a cinnamon roll in mine...thing is, everyone eats them up anyway and says they were great, but then maybe they were just being polite...but they did all get eaten and I did make the effort....I'm thinking an aluminum tent to help break up the direct heat to the bottom of the pan...still working on it all though...I've had decent results with pies...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Oven temp

Postby CPASPARKS » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Arthur and Doug,
Thanks for the input.

I might try putting a foil pan on the bottom to deflect the direct heat.

If you come up with a solution...please let me know.

I like the compact-ness of the folding stove and I have a great spot that it fits in my galley when folded.

It looks cool sitting on my coleman stove. I just wish my cinnamon rolls would not burn. :cry:
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Get a good oven thermometer and trust that instead of the knob on the oven. Do some test runs with the thermometer to see what actual temps are compared to the settings.

Also, try using an AirBake baking sheet, or a ceramic stone sheet to put your rolls on. The might help moderate the heat coming from the bottom as it rises to heat the oven. You basically want to "insulate" the bottom of your food so the heat above can catch up with what's at the bottom. Your foil idea, or even s second baking sheet one rack down might work, as well.

The reason dutch ovens work well is the way the cast iron spreads the heat, and big ceramic brick ovens are even better at absorbing and releasing heat evenly. You'll never get the kind of quality heating from a small, portable, lightweight oven that you get at home, so you have to be creative in finding ways to adapt to the uneaven heating of the camp oven.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:26 pm

The wife says use the air pillow baking pan and baking parchment paper. Propane cooks hot so lower the temp. like mentioned above :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:58 pm

Dumb question here---how big is your pan? If you fill the oven too much the heat may not reach the top as well. Works the same in a home oven.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Laredo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Use a baking pan with a lid, and turn it over when they're half done?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:57 pm

We were trying out our TD oven today to see if we could bake cookies without burning them. Our neighbor let us use her Pampered Chef stoneware cookie pan/sheet and it was very nice, cooked the cookies just right. If we can get one without going to a demo party we will. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby apratt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:05 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:We were trying out our TD oven today to see if we could bake cookies without burning them. Our neighbor let us use her Pampered Chef stoneware cookie pan/sheet and it was very nice, cooked the cookies just right. If we can get one without going to a demo party we will. :thumbsup: Danny

Danny go to their web site. You can order stuf that way. I am like you, not crazy about demo parties.... my wife that is another story. :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 pm

I got my pizza stone at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

The Pampered Chef stones are very good. My BBB stone does not seem to be as good. Ceramic content matters.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 pm

Pampered Chef makes small stones that fit in a toaster oven. I think it'd fit in the Comelan oven but I'm not shure.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 pm

asianflava wrote:Pampered Chef makes small stones that fit in a toaster oven. I think it'd fit in the Comelan oven but I'm not shure.

The neighbor gave us a catalog. It's 8 3/4" x 6 1/2" for $15. I want the next size 11 1/2" x 7 3/4" for $22, it will have plenty of air space around it in our oven. This looks like another Amway or Tupperware party thing :thumbdown: just buy it on the Internet @ the company website or eBay. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I took a perfectly good pizza stone and cut about 6" off of it with a diamond saw blade, so it would fit inside the Flamineta.
It worked fine, but so did double bottom baking pans... That was life BDO.
I'm with Kev on this one, get a cast iron dutch oven. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to Camping Secrets