what is the best way do you think i could cook in my car?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby caseydog » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:28 pm

beachcamper wrote:I had the sauce pan / popcorn popper. I may be wrong but if I remember correctly it took close a hour to heat up a can of soup. It took a long time regardless. With a car you would definetly would run a battery down, you really need to run the car while cooking with 12v, I think. Keep in mind this was close to 12 yrs ago, maybe they have improved since then. Most of the guys that I know that run over the road now, buy 12v inverters to power 110v appliances, like a microwave,toaster oven etc

With the Lunchbox cooker or the 12V crock pot, you would start the food cooking at the begineing of your day's drive, and by lunchtime, you have food ready to eat.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jack J » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:05 pm

I found it quite difficult to light charcoal for dutch oven cooking while driving down the road, but this book has good tips for some tasty road food. By not using your 12v powerport for powered food heaters, you would be conserving energy and thus help get longer useful life from your charging system. It is also great fun to have the people behind you wonder what kind of alternative fuel you are using while the aroma of fish cooking on your manifold wafts into their air vents. The book actually has some good recipies in it.
If you smell garlic chicken behind a '51 Chev in Utah this June, it's me on the way to Minden.

Jack
Jack J
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Jack J wrote:Image

I found it quite difficult to light charcoal for dutch oven cooking while driving down the road, but this book has good tips for some tasty road food. By not using your 12v powerport for powered food heaters, you would be conserving energy and thus help get longer useful life from your charging system. It is also great fun to have the people behind you wonder what kind of alternative fuel you are using while the aroma of fish cooking on your manifold wafts into their air vents. The book actually has some good recipies in it.
If you smell garlic chicken behind a '51 Chev in Utah this June, it's me on the way to Minden.

Jack

How would those recipes work on a Hybrid? :thinking:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gambam » Wed May 02, 2007 12:58 pm

We used to do the manifold thing at the drag strip on Sundays. Put three chicken breasts and a few veggies in a foil pouch. Three or four time runs later we would eat our lunch before eliminations started. 8)
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Salivanto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 pm

I recall reading as a boy about a scout master who had constructed a box which fit on his tailpipe. The car exhaust went around a sealed box which held the food. He'd worked out an entire recipee book based on miles instead of minutes to measure cooking time. He reported burning his food one day because he was driving uphill and the engine was generating more heat.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Salivanto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Yep, propane cooker is the best way!

Postby gyroguy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:09 pm

curiouswill wrote:i've been looking around and saw that coleman has a little propane cooker that goes on top of their camping propane tank. the package said that it put out about 10,000 btu on average so i thought that it may also be a good small space heater. the coleman cooker is around $21.95 or something in wal-mart. they also has a set of 2 camping propane tank for like $3.64 i figure that this would be the best way since i'm planning to cook during my lunch break..

You're talking about what I was going to suggest! The little one-burner that screws onto a green propane cannister is the simplest way to go.

Start with a full green fuel cannister and time how long it takes to empty. Probably 2 to 5 hours. To figure out how much fuel is left in a green canister, go to the "Camp stove fuel type" and read my post.

I refill my green fuel cnnisters with an adapter that fits on my 20-lb. (BBQ-type) propane tank. The post above tells how.

Last thing, I use a 6-1/2" cast iron skillet for most cooking on this stove. It spreads the heat more evenly than aluminum pans.

In my pickup, I have a beat-up old one-burner, a no-tip base, two refilled green fuel cannisters, a cast iron skillet, and a pair of pliers to pick stuff up with. It's the cheap way to eat on the road, and I've done it for years.

Cautions--
1) As noted, the one-burner does eat up oxygen, so cook outside where there's plenty of oxygen. Never cook in your car. Ever. Don't use it as a space heater! Get a warm sleeping bag instead.
2) The green propane cylinder needs a plastic no-tip base, so the whole shebang doesn't fall over while you're cooking.
3) The one-burner gets HOT! Let it cool before touching. I drop water on mine before I put it away--if water sizzles, cool some more.
4) Let one-burner cool completely before you switch fuel cannisters.

Have fun and enjoy the freshly cooked food!
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeepr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Haha, manifold cooking! That reminds me of my military days. We used to pack MREs on the top of the motor in my 5-ton dump truck. By the time we got to our destination, we had nice hot food!
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Dark Horse » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:55 am

You can still fit double wrapped foil pouches on the intake manifold of most V6/V8 engines the plastic intakes do put a crimp in the performance, but closer to the valve covers you get lots of heat from the Head and the valvecover. Burritos are perfect here :D
I would not suggest doing it with any oil leaks though, even with a double wrap, not good eats.
Most forget about the frame rail on trucks, right next to the Catalytic converter double wrapped tater, turn every so often to prevent burning and baked tater in about an 2 hours on the road, 45min to an hour when wheeling.
The Frame rail also works well for intake manifold pouches but usually needs a little extra help with retaining them on the frame rail. we used to use an oversized hose clamp or 3 with an extra pad of AL foil to keep the clamps from cutting into the pouches Cubed chuck with taters carrots a touch of Onion and Garlic after about 100 miles or an hour wheeling is a wondefull thing.

Jim
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:37 am

caseydog wrote:
Jack J wrote:[img]
Jack

How would those recipes work on a Hybrid? :thinking:

Hydrogen is flammable too ask the folks on the hindenburg !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets