TECHNI ICE --- my results :(

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

TECHNI ICE --- my results :(

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon May 14, 2007 12:47 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14691

UPDATE -------------------

I rec'vd my 24 sheets of Techni Ice from the ebay seller last Thurs. 24 sheets, to share with some other friends, etc.

I have a 15 year old Coleman cooler, in good shape , not huge but not small. I have camped with it at least 7 times in the past year, and usually have a little meat, cheese, milk, beer / wine, and such and buy about 3 of the small bags of ice, maybe one more bag when I get to camp. Always come home with some ice still frozen, but everything good and cold.

TECHNI ICE -------
I followed directions, and froze three sheets. Put one in the bottom of the Coleman cooler, put a bag of frozen chicken strips, and a few bottles of Gatorage straight from my fridge, then another sheet of Techni ice and then some cans of room temp soda pop, then the third sheet on top of that .

Left it alone , in the garage (about 80* outside) didn't open it for 24 hours and then checked it.

RESULT ---- I'm not happy ! The inside was just cool , not great. The pop and gatorade was cool, but not cold. the top 2 sheets of techni ice were thawed... squishy, not even really cold to the touch! I checked the bag of frozen chicken strips, they were not really frozen anymore . The 3rd sheet of Techni ice on the bottom was half frozen still but the other half was thawed and mushy.... and this was JUST 24 HOURS LATER .

So I know it says to use one sheet per 7-8 quarts of cooler space. I suspect my cooler should use about 4 Techni Ice sheets. And this is supposed to stay frozen 4-7 times more than regular ice.... this was not the case.
I've gotten bags of regular old ice on a friday noon and come home on sunday with still some ice frozen although most of it water. I went to Cedar Hill with the same cooler, not packed full really - mostly wine and chicken and potato salad, etc but had a BIG $3 something bag of ice and came home after three days with colder contents and a little ice still in the chest.

HOW IS EVERY ONE ELSE USING THIS/LIKING IT ??????

I'm very tempted to send it back.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Mon May 14, 2007 12:52 pm

I haven't bought any yet...I kept getting outbid on eBay.

But whenever I camp and I'm packing my cooler everything I put in it is either frozen...burgers, meat etc or well chilled pop etc(ie put in the fridge/freezer at least the day before to get as cold as possible to help the ice last.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon May 14, 2007 1:37 pm

that's what I did for my little test.... the bag of Tyson's Chicken Strips was straight from the freezer, and the gatorage bottles had been in the fridge overnight.
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon May 14, 2007 1:39 pm

...Julie, thanks for the report...that stuff looks great and Ihave been considering ordering some of it...your report will make me wait...like so many things...what looks good on paper, often translates differently when used in real world situations!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon May 14, 2007 3:42 pm

I know in that other thread that i linked to..... they mentioned that they use one of those Xtreme Coolers.... I bought the Techni Ice partially for the less mess or watery reason but also so as not to put $$ into another Coleman ice chest.

Rayvillian (Gary & Trudy ) had something that looked similar and loved it. My neighbor has some packet about 7" square, white with the name "Huskies" on it that his mother's medicine comes packed in. I'll experiment with that too
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:59 pm

I just use it along with the blue frozen things because it folds and fits around stuff. It has never done the job on its own.
I use my metal Coleman with 2 large bags of ice for the serious cold. Main problem with techi-ice is does not work well when I am chilling my martini. :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Pam Wright » Mon May 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi all,

I tried my Techni ice for the Dam gathering.... I was not real happy with it either. I layered sheet starting at the bottom, then a layer of frozen meat... then another layer of Techni ice so on all the way to the top. I used about 8 sheets for a regular cooler, I think maybe I should have used more, because the top thawed within a day or two. Luckily we were at Friend's house on our journey and I could throw it back in their freezer before it completely thawed... From then on we added ice. So bottom line is.... Is anybody happy with it? What's the secret to making it work?

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 am

I had the same results and they say it last 7 times longer I think I'm going back to ice I'm not impressed
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby kajamelu4 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:49 am

I'm really disappointed in your results. I was hoping to avoid the water issue, like everyone else. Would they work in a lunch box to keep things chilled until noon?

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am

that ebay seller offered a 7 day refund policy so I am going to contact them and send it back. I spent about $40 on 24 sheets of it, but glad I tried them before splitting it up among campers.

I'll ask Gary /Trudy some specifics about that stuff they bought.
She was happy with it and they've done several 3+ day trips lately !

Julie
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BillyLandry » Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Julie
I read an earlier post, I think it was Gary/Trudy's post. I belive that they had Ice in ziplock bags also along with the Tehnic ice. Do you think this may be the difference in the lasting effect? Just wondering because I have interest in this tehnic ice.

Billy
"It's not the qualifications--It's the willingnest."
BillyLandry
Donating Member

Postby mincey » Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 pm

I bought the Techni-Ice as well, based on the positive comment on this forum. According to Techni-Ice's instructions, it says NOT to use with ice because it takes more energy to keep the ice from melting. I only "charged" one sheet to test out using my lunch soft-sided cooler, which is a Maxxi-Cold by Igloo. The blue ice blacks keeps things cool, but I was looking for something more flexible. The Techni-Ice keeps things cool for lunch (I work indoors), but if I don't finish my lunch, I have noticed that items left in the cooler are not very cool when I get home, and the Techni-Ice sheet is almost room temperature. So I am not thrilled with them either. I spent about $20, and way past the 7 day return deadline, but not out that much $$$ to worry about it. But will not recommend it to others, nor try on any camping outings! I was pretty disappointed because I, like others, was hoping for non-soggy alternative for keeping food cool.

I think I'll continue using our huge marine cooler with large tupperware conatiners acgting as buckets to keep food dry with ice all around the buckets.

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B Clamshell
The T@Binator
mincey
Teardrop Master

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu May 17, 2007 4:44 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15981

Check out the response from the ebay seller...
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:15 am

Same sad results. I froze the heck out of them in my stand alone freezer with the temp turned way down. they were frozen hard as steel. They did not outlast my old standby placstic water bottles filled with water and frozen in the same freezer with it not turned down any lower than normal. Would not recommend. :thumbdown:
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:58 am

Well, I'm glad I procrastinated, for once. I was going to buy some, but not now....well maybe later. :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets