My wiring plans

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby mexican tear » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:31 pm

Note
The new converters have two settings. One for perminent connection and one to charge the batteries quickly. Use one if you use shore power for weeks and use the other if you hook up to shore power for a day.

They use a little phone plug thing, I plan on putting a switch permenently so that I do not have to remove the plug and than re-insert it.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:38 pm

Kai, can you provide a link to a manufacture or reseller. I have not seen the kind that you are talking about.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:18 pm

I got a 30 Amp from this seller on eBay.........still waiting for it to arrive, but they list the specs. The link is for the 45 Amp, and I also got the IQ-4 Microprocessor-controller from them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6&tc=photo
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:44 pm

I'm using this battery charger.

http://tinyurl.com/49huh
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Power supply/battery charger

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Ken,

The IOTA DLS-45 looks like the REAL ticket :thumbsup: I was wondering if you know whether it is best to link the DLS-45 to the battery and then the battery to the rest of the system or have the DLS-45 hooked parallel to the tear systems and the battery, then switch back and forth when you have or don't have shore power. Will the constant charge and simultaneous drain on the battery hurt the battery?

asianflava,

That appears to me to be a battery charger ONLY and may not support the power drain of constant use, but I'm just guessing. I think that the one Ken is getting looks like the best all-round thing to use.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Power supply/battery charger

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:20 am

toypusher wrote:That appears to me to be a battery charger ONLY and may not support the power drain of constant use, but I'm just guessing. I think that the one Ken is getting looks like the best all-round thing to use.
Kerry

Kerry,
Here's what I thought you meant when you said convertor:
http://www.bestconverter.com/purchase.html
Battery chargers are pretty rugged, you can use them to charge a battery and run the trailer loads, whithin reason. The nice thing about a battery charger is that its current limited on the output, so if you overload them they shut down instead of blowing up. Otherwise, I would have ruined dozens of them since I seem to touch the clamps together *everytime* I put one one. :lol: I think a good option would be to look at a 20 amp battery charger that has a battery maintanence mode. That way you can charge the batteries, run limited 12V loads and charge the battery without ruining it. Most trailer batteries die because they are left uncharged. Here's a link to a PDF of your wiring diagram with some comments. I added some wire sizes and the neutral wire for the 120V circuit. Remember, circuits are like skinning a cat, there's lots of ways to do it.
http://home.comcast.net/~bdosborn/tear/ ... iagram.pdf
FWIW,
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Wiring plans

Postby toypusher » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:19 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for the input on the drawing and the link to the 'Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series INTELI-POWER converters'. I'm thinking that one of them is about perfect ( or one of the IOTAs). I'm still not totally clear how to use them properly. Do you run your 12V side directly from the converter or have the converter connected only to the battery and the entire 12V tear wiring connected to the battery only. Is it (shore power - converter - battery - tear)? Or is it (shore power - converter - tear and battery in parallel)?

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:15 pm

Bruce,

I think that this is how is should be.

Kerry
Last edited by toypusher on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: Wiring plans

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:37 pm

toypusher wrote:Bruce,
I'm still not totally clear how to use them properly. Do you run your 12V side directly from the converter or have the converter connected only to the battery and the entire 12V tear wiring connected to the battery only. Is it (shore power - converter - battery - tear)? Or is it (shore power - converter - tear and battery in parallel)?

Kerry

Kerry,

Electrically, its all the same. I don't like to connect any more wires to the battery terminal than I have to because they corrode. If you connect the convertor to the fuse block, it eliminates an inline fuse and the main disconnect will disconnect the convertor as well. Here's a link to an excellent RV wiring site.
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:28 pm

After all this discussion on battery chargers, I looked around and found this:
http://www.batterychargers.com/details. ... 0A&catid=2

Anyone ever use this one? Seems like it has everything you need a good price.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

12VDC schematics

Postby DestinDave » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:17 pm

Anyone considering using 6VDC golf cart batteries? How would they appear in the schematic? Would I use the same 12VDC converter or charger or are there special chargers for 6VDC batteries? Two deep-cycle 6VDC batteries would provide a LOT more reserve than two 12VDC batteries and not an unreasonable higher cost.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:26 pm

I'm personally boycotting Schumacher products. They tout that they have a warranty X long. It doesn't mean squat, when you send something in they have a flat fee to repair/replace it. I had a charger die on me, after paying the fee and shipping, it would have been cheaper to buy a new one. What kind of warranty is that? :thumbdown:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:01 pm

I think that this is the 'final' on how I want to do my wiring setup.

Kerry
Last edited by toypusher on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 pm

I see that you have a breaker on the AC side and one on the DC side. Are circuit breakers (in general) made with different applications? Is there one for AC and another for DC, or does the same one do the job for both. I'm much more familiar with DC circuits than AC.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:44 pm

toypusher wrote:I think that this is the 'final' on how I want to do my wiring setup.

Kerry

As a journeyman...POI-FECT!!! :thumbsup:That's how I would do it also!
I didn't put a/c in the stripper, but, I like your plan...Is it COPY-RIGHTED??? Er..WRITTEN??? :roll: :roll: If I put it in my book,:rofl: I'll give you credit!!! :shake hands:
Oh!! Wasn't this drawing, or a version, originally Joanne's??? :MLAS
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets