It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 am

I can't do any building for a couple months, so I think it's time for a new Generic Design. Can you guys help me out with the requirements...

Why a new design? If a teardrop is not comfortable enough, you might want something larger. If you live east of the Missippi, rain happens, usually on the weekend while you are camping. If you are camping rustic, you might want to bring your own shower. And if mother nature calls in the middle of the night, you don't want to trek down to the outhouse or bathhouse. Some people are talking about camping longer than a weekend. Some of them want more than a TD. Some people want a tiny trailer to flee hurricanes etc. So with all that in mind, let's see what we as a group can come up with...

Here's a couple requirements I think we should include.

Ability to stand up inside it.
Ability to cook inside
Ability to go potty inside
Ability to take a shower inside
Ability to use a bolt together trailer
Ability to sit and eat inside
Simple construction
Lightweight
Can be towed with a medium sized car
Adequate storage

Yes, we are packing 10 pounds of RV type stuff into a 5 pound trailer, and there will have to be some tradeoffs as we proceed into the design. But hey, isn't that what makes it fun?
:roll:

So what did I miss?

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:13 am

Now we can have a Generic Standy section. :twisted:
Using your example of bugging out, how about provisions for longer camping with out power/water.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:50 am

Mike-

I have been thinking about this and am planning my next build so this thread could be interesting.

I would suggest as requirements:

All that you listed except-

Potty
Shower
and cooking inside.

Most of the places we go to have adequate faciliates for this.

And we need a place to stow shoes - outside of the TD inside

My wife and I do genealogy and we plan to use the TD as our research hub and travel around with it to various state archieves. So a place to stay and store our research material will be a good thing.

Thanks

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby SaGR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:52 am

I think a lot could be gleaned from the toy haulers if your idea is for a bugout trailer.

People will undoubtedly want to take certain items with so a bigger door would be nice. The door could also be opened into a fitted tent like some have done with their TD's to give an expanded living area.

Self powered? Maybe a 2.5kw genset or 30w solar panel integrated into the roof.
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby SaGR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 am

BILLYL wrote:And we need a place to stow shoes - outside of the TD inside

Hah! You could make a compartment next to the door that has the hatch on the outside and build in pigeon holes for the shoes. Add a bottom drain and fresh air vents to the outside and your done.

This could be hidden from inside view by placing it under a side cabinet or a bench on the inside of the trailer.

---

If you're making this larger maybe integrate a European style eating nook that doubles as a sleeping area via a collapsing table. (Like most larger RV's have).

Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 am

Hey, I like the name!!! Generic Standy!!! :D

Mike...

bledsoe3 wrote:Now we can have a Generic Standy section. :twisted:
Using your example of bugging out, how about provisions for longer camping with out power/water.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:04 am

So what do you think about starting with a bolt together trailer... say 5x8 or 5x10. that way you've got the option of getting the 5 x 4 1/2" B.C. hubs, and can pretty much pick any size wheel you want.

On a 5' wide trailer, the body will end up being 6 1/2'.

That means the bathroom can be 3' wide, and the inside galley will be 3 1/2' wide.

The bed should go lengthwise rather than across the trailer, so you don't have to climb over your partner to get out.

so we are looking at 7' for the bed, 3' for the standing area, and 1 1/2' for the galley. So the trailer would be 11 1/2' long, and 6 1/2' wide. Hmmm does that seem too big?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Tear Les » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 am

Mike,

At least at this conceptual stage what are you thinking in terms of weight and what's a medium size car these days? (sorry, I don't keep up with the car models much these days)

I designed a little 9-footer TTT that I really like but it was just under 7 feet wide and I was a bit concerned the weight would be too high.

This will be a fun thread...maybe my HF trailer will be empty a bit longer to see where this goes!

Ooohhh...I just had a brain burp! What if the portable toilet room (closet) was a slide out (a really simple one, say on full extension heavy duty drawer slides or those motorhome cargo things). It would take the same space inside with the slide out in as it normally would and could be used as a potty. If the slide out were pushed out (we're talking like 24 to 30 inches here) the space that opens up would be the shower pan).

Ok, I'll go make breakfast now... :lol:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 am

All the things people are suggesting, when combined with:

Ability to use a bolt together trailer

strikes me as actually dangerous. The trailer will weigh more than any of the bolt-togethers will carry, unless there are some secret ones I've not seen.

That's a not to say that a bolt-together frame wouldn't work, as long as the axle and springs were thrown away at the start.

But pretty soon you'll be looking to minimise the height and then a stepped frame starts to look like a good idea. Here's an upside-down Scamp frame for ideas:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby caseydog » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:02 am

Of course, my wish list would make it 500 pounds, loaded. So, we are looking at a frame made of unobtanium, and a shell of carbon fiber.

Seriously, though, I agree with anjib, that something of this size should go on a welded frame, and ride on some decent sized tires. I would also weld on some shock brackets, so you can do a top-notch suspension.

I would also want to look at alternative materials, such as coroplast and other lightweight sheathing.

Another outside-the-box-thinking exercize would be some kind of way to generate battery charging from the turning of the wheels as you tow it down the highway.

While you are creating a new design, why not dream big? Some things will be practical, while others will not. That's part of the fun of creating.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:19 am

What about a 5' X 8' frame and hang over the front and back a foot as is commonly done with teardrops. That could save on frame weight. We would have to ask Andrew as to stability and strength when going to a taller and heavier trailer.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Woody » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:20 am

How about something along the lines of a SerroScotty or Shasta design or a combination of the several of designs of this type, They have the potential of all of your requirements in ammenities you desire. My next build will be something like the Serro Scotty I saw (or the wife fell in love with and won't stop nagging me about) at the Southern App. Chapter Gathering Spring fling in May that Pete brought with him
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am

Should the Generic Standy be something recognizable like a Shasta or a Scotty Sportsman, or should it mimic the teardrop shape like a T@B?

For this design I think I want to avoid pop up tops, as they make things way too complex.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:42 am

How about canned ham. 8)

I guess that would be simmiler to the Shasta.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby fornesto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:47 am

I am currently in the market for a little standy 16' or less to accomodate my growing family of four. They all seem to have the same floor plan - dinette/double bed in front -> kitchen in the middle-> full time double bed/gaucho in the back (sometimes with a bunk over it). This is a very efficient design. The only thing I don't like is the inside kitchen. I'm 6'3" and these little trailers are designed for short people. I couldn't imagine boiling water or frying taco shells in a trailer that small. It's like eating in bed. So, I would like to see an outside kitchen that goes along with the standy. If I find the right trailer at the right time, I'd think about modifying it to have a teardrop style galley in the rear ala T&B Clamshell, or side. I'll get drawing.
fornesto
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion