Aluminum Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Aluminum Trailer

Postby Model_A Bill » Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever built a TD trailer out of aluminum?

How well do they work/are they strong enough?
Are there plans for them, or can you use the plan shown above?
Is there a substantial weight savings?

I'm just thinking out loud!! :roll:
Bill

No matter where you go....there you are!
Model_A Bill
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed May 30, 2007 2:44 pm

Bil, a number of folks have done it...the most recent was Lynn Coleman and her "Inkwell"...however there are several problems that need to be addressed when using Al to build a frame...1) expense...much more than steel, 2) special welding techniques...can't get just anyone to weld it up, 3) by the time you buy Al big enough and strong enough to replace the steel, the weight savings are minimal, 4) Al has some inherent structural problems such as stress cracking around welds, flex points and bolt holes, 5) you can also have some corrosion/di-electric problems from bi-metal contact...other than that it is just fine and dandy...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Model_A Bill » Wed May 30, 2007 3:12 pm

oh...thats all????

No problem then :twisted: :?
That's what I get for thinking out loud! :D
Bill

Model_A Bill
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed May 30, 2007 3:18 pm

Bill, that is what we are here for...AL can be used quite successfully, you just have to be aware of potential problems and deal with them accordingly...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Model_A Bill » Wed May 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks madjack. That's why I stay here :D
Bill

Model_A Bill
Teardrop Builder

Postby cgray » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:56 am

I found an Aluminum trailer by Worthington in a used car magazine for $1000 for a 5x8 and the web site says it weighs 315lbs. It has a torsion axle also.

http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/

I am considering using this trailer and might go 5'x10' if the price does not get much higher.

The other trailer i am considering is the Carry-On trailer that TSC can order. it is 5x8, but i have not seen a weight or price for it yet. Im sure it is much cheaper, but i wonder about the weight. It does not have a torsion axle though.
cgray
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 pm

CG...point of comparison...my last frame...steel w/torsion axle weighed less than 300#s(2 people could pick it up/move it) wo/wheels and tires and cost me around 600 bucks (wheels/tires/fenders/steel/axle/coupler/chains/lights)...the 5x8 Carry-On trailer from TSC cost less than 500 bucks...I am trying to see ANY advantage to the aluminum trailer!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

madjack wrote:...I am trying to see ANY advantage to the aluminum trailer!!!!!!!
madjack 8)

It won't rust ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:17 pm

bobhenry wrote:
madjack wrote:...I am trying to see ANY advantage to the aluminum trailer!!!!!!!
madjack 8)

It won't rust ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: very true, but with the way I prepare and paint my frames, by the time they rust out, my grandkids will be pushing up daisies :o :D ;) ...........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cgray » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Madjack, i know what you mean. I am weighing my options and the Worthington trailer is more then twice the cost and about the same weight as the Carry-On (i think the Carry-On is 250lbs).

Torsion axle would be nice, but for $500+ i can live with a regular axle.

My main concern for the trailer is weight. I can only tow 1000lbs. Then comes size. I would like to do 5x10, but 5x8 will be fine.

So for the commercially available trailers if i wanted 5x10 i would probably go Worthington since the Red Trailer at 5x10 is like 400lbs.

I found this 5'6"x10' Worthington at 275lbs, but im sure the price will be around $1300.
http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/trai ... spx?ID=143

Here is a 4'6"x10' Worthington at 230lbs! That is tempting, but i would have to see the price first.
http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/trai ... spx?ID=138
cgray
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tear Les » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 pm

Do you have a welder in your area that can do a custom frame? The cost should be far less than the Worthington even if you go with the torsion suspension. And, you can keep the weight down.

It shouldn't be any trouble to get a 5x10 down to 1000 pound if you don't over build. I'm trying to hold to the same weight and have seen many TDs that size come in under the 1K mark. Even Steve's Puffin came in under 1,000 pounds and it's 6x8 and 81" tall.

:thumbsup:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets