The Locust

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Locust

Postby Greg M » Tue May 22, 2007 9:39 pm

I started my oversized grasshopper build today. Thanks for the help with the profile drawing, Mike :)
I figured The Locust was an appropriate name for a somewhat larger Grasshopper. 8)
Without further ado, here's the first of what I plan to be many pics.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 22, 2007 9:43 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Very nice profile. Looking forward to seeing it together.

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Update July 08/07

Postby Greg M » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:06 pm

I spent last weekend re-organizing the shop so I didn't get much work done on the Locust, but I think I more than made up for it today.
I now have both of the sides and the floor pieced together, the sidewalls and bulkhead up, and the first of my roof spars done.
Now it looks like this:
There are more pics in my album

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey Greg...that looks great!!! What's the layout of the interior?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Greg M » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Hey Greg...that looks great!!! What's the layout of the interior?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dave.

The interior :thinking: Well, it keeps changing on me :D The latest is an angled cabinet/backrest under the front window with a fold down table on the side wall. There will be a cabinet on the bulkhead with the computer monitor and other electronics as well as storage. If I could just get the design to stand still for a minute, I'd get it nailed down :lol:

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:13 am

:thumbsup:

I like how you smoothed the corners along the sides. Are you going to cover it in aluminum, filon, or paint it?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 am

...looks good Greg...but aren't the wheels a little small...lotta RPMs at 70mph :D ;) ................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Greg M » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:56 am

Steve: Epoxy and paint for now. I might go with aluminum in the future, we'll see.

Madjack: Really good bearings 8)

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 pm

madjack wrote:...looks good Greg...but aren't the wheels a little small...lotta RPMs at 70mph :D ;) ................................... 8)

But he's got a really big tape measure. :lol:

Lookin' good Greg.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby volfanatic72 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:50 pm

That really looks good!!! I'm hoping to do something very similar in the near future.

How do you plan on doing the galley area? Is the top part going to open up and the bottom part going to have doors, or is the whole thing going to lift up (if that makes any sense)?
volfanatic72
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg M » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:09 pm

volfanatic72 wrote:
How do you plan on doing the galley area?

I'm going to have the whole back end lift. I thought about doing it like the original Grasshopper, but I think this way will give me more freedom for pullouts and the like.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Looking good Greg. I'll be watching your build. I want to see how you do the inside layout too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Update July 08/07

Postby Joanne » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Greg,

That is really starting to look good. I'll be watching your build with interest.

Joanne

Greg M wrote:I spent last weekend re-organizing the shop so I didn't get much work done on the Locust, but I think I more than made up for it today.
I now have both of the sides and the floor pieced together, the sidewalls and bulkhead up, and the first of my roof spars done.
Now it looks like this:
There are more pics in my album

-Greg
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby angib » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:33 am

Greg M wrote:Epoxy and paint for now. I might go with aluminum in the future, we'll see.

What are you going to put around those tight radiuses at the top and bottom? They look too tight for even 1/8" to go around, unless it's 'bendy' ply.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Greg M » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:45 pm

angib wrote:What are you going to put around those tight radiuses at the top and bottom? They look too tight for even 1/8" to go around, unless it's 'bendy' ply.

Andrew

I'm going the bendy ply route at just those three radii. The rest of it will be 1/8" birch ply. I figure that I'll only need one sheet of the bendy stuff if I get the type that bends around the long axis, and rip it into sixteen inch strips. I'll make the joins on 2x2 spars so that I can epoxy the joins. The only question is: Should I reinforce the seems with fibreglass tape?

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Build Journals