more information about licensing tears (Califormia)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

more information about licensing tears (Califormia)

Postby mfkaplan » Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 am

This applies to California. Don't know about other states. I only had a bill of sale on which the tear was called a utility trailer. I had a plate and a VIN no. According to law tears need to be licensed as camp trailers to be legal. Utility trailers are open on top. Because I'm taking it out of state I wanted to be absolutly legal with an actual title. Also I may want to sell it someday and a title may make it easier. I did have to pay a penalty for not regestering it promptly properly so the total fee was $64. All I need to do is take it down to DMV today and have it officially measured mainly to prove that its under 16 feet. I also got around to insuring it. Just a telephone call. $5 a month.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Phil & Ningning » Wed May 16, 2007 2:52 pm

I registered mine last week and they gave me an option of a paper title for an extra fee. I opted to go paperless (electronic title) and I am completely legal. I am sure it would be no problem to transfer it to another state.

In order to document the body change from utility trailer to camp trailer, they did require an inspection and a statement of facts from me. I had to list the purchase price of the HF trailer kit, and the estimated current value. Also (with a knowing nod from the DMV lady) it shows that the body modifications were done with scrap materials. They just clean up nice when you take care during assembly, don't they?

The total cost was $20 for five years. The renewal fee is ten for another five years.
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Sat May 19, 2007 10:23 pm

The total cost was $20 for five years. The renewal fee is ten for another five years.[/quote]

Was that for a utility trailer tag? I got my hf trailer used with a Perm 5 year tag. I want to put it to an RV tag but dont want to pay each year.
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby Gage » Sat May 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Mine happens to be reg. as a camp trailer with a 5 year PTI sticker. Why worry about what DMV thinks it is as long as they will register it. And all other states will recognize current registration from other states.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat May 19, 2007 11:21 pm

You get off cheap. In Washington there is a yearly license fee and a TD is considered a utility trailer because it isn't fully self contained like a travel trailer. They do measure and write out a full description of what they see at the time of inspection. My renewal fee was $82.75 this year and that includes the $35 each year for a personalized plate. $> Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Phil & Ningning » Sun May 20, 2007 10:22 am

Nic wrote: Was that for a utility trailer tag? I got my hf trailer used with a Perm 5 year tag. I want to put it to an RV tag but dont want to pay each year.

It's described as a camp trailer. I waited until the build was nearly complete to do the inspection just for that reason.
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Mon May 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Phil & Ningning wrote:
Nic wrote: Was that for a utility trailer tag? I got my hf trailer used with a Perm 5 year tag. I want to put it to an RV tag but dont want to pay each year.

It's described as a camp trailer. I waited until the build was nearly complete to do the inspection just for that reason.

I have not changed the tag info over yet because im wanting to get everything all done before im told they need to see it or anything.
Do you think i can just get away with bringing the title and paperwork to the DMV and just tell them i need to put it in my name? And say nothing about it being anything more than what the title says. Or will they want to see it to put it in my name? The tag still has 4 years on it.
Nic
500 Club

Postby Nic » Mon May 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Gage wrote:Mine happens to be reg. as a camp trailer with a 5 year PTI sticker. Why worry about what DMV thinks it is as long as they will register it. And all other states will recognize current registration from other states.

What did that cost ya? I need to get mine done soon. But ya know. Budget.
Nic
500 Club

Postby Phil & Ningning » Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Nic wrote:
Phil & Ningning wrote:

I have not changed the tag info over yet because im wanting to get everything all done before im told they need to see it or anything.
Do you think i can just get away with bringing the title and paperwork to the DMV and just tell them i need to put it in my name? And say nothing about it being anything more than what the title says. Or will they want to see it to put it in my name? The tag still has 4 years on it.

You should transfer it to your name. I would recommend just to bring it to the dmv, park it outside, and go in to transfer the title. If they want to see it, let them see it. No big deal. Should cost about fifteen dollars for the transfer, and you get to keep the four years.
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Phil & Ningning wrote:
Nic wrote:
Phil & Ningning wrote:

You should transfer it to your name. I would recommend just to bring it to the dmv, park it outside, and go in to transfer the title. If they want to see it, let them see it. No big deal. Should cost about fifteen dollars for the transfer, and you get to keep the four years.

SWEET!!! That sounds like a plan! Thanks! Its been on my mind a lot.
Nic
500 Club

California DMV Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI)

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm

California DMV rules in regards to the
Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI)

The goal here is to have a Permanent Trailer Identification
(PTI) registration and most likely a camp trailer DMV definition~

Why do you want the PTI plate?
Answer:
To not register your trailer every year but renew registration every 5 years.

What trailers are subject to Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI)?
Answer:
All trailers except park trailers and trailer coaches are subject to PTI.

NOTE: A camp trailer or fifth-wheel trailer
(depending upon maximum length, width, or size) can be registered as a
trailer coach, or camp trailer. Camp trailers are
subject to PTI, but trailer coaches are subject to annual registration and
excluded from PTI

Key definition ***Camp Trailer DMV definition: = what you want your trailer to conform to
= Less than 96" W x 16' L to register PTI

Utility Trailer DMV definition: = PTI available
Park Trailer DMV definition: = not what you want your registration to be
Trailer coaches DMV definition: = not what you want your registration to be

Want to read the exact code for California DMV Trailer registrationImage
DMV exact code Search on "Camp Trailer"

Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Fee

All trailers, except trailer coaches and park trailers, are assessed a
Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) fee. Once a trailer is in the PTI
program a service fee is due every five years.
PTI trailers are not
subject to other Registration Fees, California Highway Patrol Fees, County
Fees, Vehicle License Fees, and Weight Fees.
Registration Related Fees for the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program

Service fee for the PTI appears to be $10.00 every 5 years:
Fees may change without notice so don't hold fast on the ten bucks.
See pdf file here

Also special plates if you wish:
Special interest License plates (Like Gage has example)
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby JoeK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Does anybody know if, in California, I build a trailer frame from scratch, will I have to have it inspected by DMV or other entity, and what they might be looking for? Also, might I have to haul it to Sacramento for said inspection? Thanks,
JoeK
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Leon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm

The last one I built had to be taken in to the local office so they could put a VIN sticker on it. I had to estimate the weight, a weight cert. is not required unless it has two or more axles. They put a sticker on it, made a comment like "nice trailer" and gave me paperwork on it. Easy.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby JoeK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Sounds TOO :) easy
JoeK
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Joel....In Placerville, DMV wants a copy of the receipts on the materials, estimated weight, and fill out their paperwork saying that you did the work on it and that everything is true and a check...45 Min total time, including the wait to get to the front of the line...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to General Discussion