The Locust

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Update July 08/07

Postby Greg M » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Joanne wrote:Greg,

That is really starting to look good. I'll be watching your build with interest.

Joanne

Thanks Joanne,

The Dawg website is very high up on my frequently clicked bookmarks :)

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Greg M » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey folks,

I only got a little done in the shop today(and nothing since the weekend. Damn heatwave!!) because I had to mow the lawn, and I stop using the power tools at eight in consideration of our tenants four year old. Anyway. I made up a template for the hatch ribs, and laid out a bunch of ribs on a sheet of ply. Remember: Always make extra, for when you screw up :lol:
The pics are in the album.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

It's starting to hatch

Postby Greg M » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:52 pm

After building a router table on the weekend to help with making up the hatch ribs, I've been beavering away the last couple of nights putting the hatch together. Here's what I've got: A hatch that fits :dancing :dancing (I'm doing the Mary K Dance TM)
Grant shipped the hinge yesterday, and I just can't wait to get the skin on. But first: electrical.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:08 am

Greg, Lookin Good! Aren't routers nice? Have fun with the electrical

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby sunny16 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:32 am

Greg,
Great looking trailer! I built mine in sort of the same fashion. Yours has a bit more radii but the taller back end will give you a bit more room inside and more galley space to have more cabinets if you want. Check out my album and see what I did. I like your profile and you will like the light the front window gives you. Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Greg M » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 pm

John: Yup, gotta love a good router, especially one that's half price. Doing the electrical is the easy bit. Deciding what electrical to do...

Sunny: Nice looking trailer you've got there. It even has a place for your Ham station, cool. Did you have any trouble getting the ply (I'm assuming it's 1/8" birch) to go around those two tight radii?

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby sunny16 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:13 am

Yep, 1/8" birch ply, using lots of clamps and taking your time and the radius isn't too hard to get around. Good glue also helps. Good luck!
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Greg M » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 am

Today, between picking up the new dishwasher, and taking my van in to have it's transmission fixed - AGAIN, I got the layout of the galley figured out, and some of it built. I put off starting the electrics, because I figured I should know where things go before I pull the wire to them :)

Here's today's pics, with Diva the helper dog giving her approval (Lori put her up there, not me. Somebody call the SPCA):

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Greg M » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 pm

I've made a fair bit of progress over the last week. The lower part of the galley is pretty much done. I added a cutlery drawer above the pull out for the cooler, made a couple of temporary doors for the lower cabinets, secured the countertop, and started on the upper cabinets.
In the cabin, I've got the ceiling up (HOORAY!!), and have just about got the storage area doors/backrest done. I've also pulled in my low voltage wiring. Now, if only my parts would show up from Go RV :cry:

On the weekend I took my donor trailer over to my welder's place and had him put on a new set of mounts so that I can move the axle back to where it needs to be. Next I need to cut off the sides and rip out the old deck so I can start stripping the frame down for paint.

I'm going to start spray foaming the roof cavities tomorrow and, with a little luck, I can put the skin on this Saturday.

Do you think I can have it campable in two weeks?

Only time will tell.

Pictures, as always, are in my album.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby tonyj » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 pm

Greg, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a dog in your galley!

Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dhazard » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:23 pm

And it ate all your food.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:30 pm

tonyj wrote:Greg, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a dog in your galley!

Wow! There damn sure is.

*checks own camper* No dog. :(
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Greg says:

I figured The Locust was an appropriate name for a somewhat larger Grasshopper.

-Greg

Greg, how did this joint work for you, now that you have some miles on it?

Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
Greg, how did this joint work for you, now that you have some miles on it?

Cliff

Well, I don't have any miles on it yet, but it's held up through all the construction so far. I've used long splines like that in other projects and never had a problem. It gives a very large area of edge grain gluing surface, and aligns large panels quite well. Plus, it's easy to do. All you need is a slot cutter for your router, or you can slide your biscuit joiner sideways if you've got one of those.

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Greg M » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:29 pm

tonyj wrote:Greg, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there is a dog in your galley!

That's just cause I couldn't get her inside the cooler :)

Bad Greg, BAD!

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals