choose the right glue

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

choose the right glue

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:22 am

April 2005 Fine Wood Working magazine offers a section called
Choosing the right glue.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:39 am

Ron, what did they list under "Best glue for tear drop trailers"?..<g>..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby purplepickup » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:06 am

Actually, I would be interested to know what glues the woodworkers here consider the best to use in different areas of a tear. For instance, gluing different skins (aluminum, frp, etc) to sealed plywood, joints where framework meet, laminations like subtearanean made his profile, attaching framework to plywood sides and roof, gluing foam insulation, and any other place I'm overlooking.

I just discovered E6000 glue for general household stuff and I'm really impressed. I'm sure technology has created some great glues that some of you like.
:thinking:
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:04 pm

George,
I think a little common sense and matter of preference will do just fine.
Example; I know a lot of guys swear by Gorilla Glue...Myself, I don't care for it's expanding foaming action. I like plastic resin glue for wood to wood connections. Although it's not a waterproof glue, it is a water resistant glue. If I want an absolute water proof glue I use West thickened epoxy; #105 resin, #206 slow hardener with wood dust as my thickener.
I use a lot of good ol' Elmer's yellow carpenter's glue also.
Recently, I've been trying out Titebond 3 and it seems to work good for my needs.
As fo gluing your metal skins down... I recommend just sealing your wood and dry setting your metal skins. Some have gotten away with gluing the sides without having them pop loose, but I don't know of anyone who has successfully glued down a roof skin and hasn't had it pop loose, because of the expansion and contraction.
There is a caulking that comes to mind that has tenacious adhesion properties that might work, it's called Mono, but I think I'll go with the flow and dry set my skins.

Postby DestinDave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:39 pm

Another caulk that will stick and hold almost anything (except plexiglass and lexan) is 3M 5200...
As far as glue goes, I agree with Dean. Read labels, try some, find what you like.
Anyone know, is Resorcinol still made? Haven't seen it but haven't looked either.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Good Bet

Postby Anon 1 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Has been used on boats and exterior projects with tremendous success. Very easy to use and relatively inexpensive.

Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby exminnesotaboy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:12 pm

the PL Polyurethane stuff listed above works well, but heed the warning on the lable and wear gloves - this stuff does not come off your hands easily with any type of solution - I learned the hard way :)
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:19 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:the PL Polyurethane stuff listed above works well, but heed the warning on the lable and wear gloves - this stuff does not come off your hands easily with any type of solution - I learned the hard way :)

Yeah :thumbdown: I had people who didn't want to shake my hand the Sunday after I worked with the stuff. Wanted to know what was wrong with them. From then on Mechanix Gloves :roll:

I do like it though - as well as the DL Polyurethane Caulk.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:38 pm

exminnesotaboy wrote:the PL Polyurethane stuff listed above works well, but heed the warning on the lable and wear gloves - this stuff does not come off your hands easily with any type of solution - I learned the hard way :)

Also, head the warning and use with adequate ventilation. Go a head, ask me how I know. :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:29 pm

PL sounds cool.

I use Liquid Nails, Heavy-duty Professional. It hasn't dis-appointed me yet. Good stuff. :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby DANL » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:44 pm

DestinDave, Yes, they still make Resorcinol. I get mine at the "professional" hardware store in town. Check around for the harsware supply in your town that the pros go to for the hard-to-find stuff and they will probably have it. You can also order it over the web.

I still use both Resorcinol and 3M 5200 for boat projects. I have two prams that have sat outside winter and summer for years with no sign of glue failure. I did use lots of TiteBond on my trailer and 5200 on "working" joins.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques