Tool for checking circuits and wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

Tool for checking circuits and wiring

Postby OkieSailor » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:54 pm

I will describe this device and let one of you CAD experts draw it.
Here is the parts list with Radio Shack PNs

Three jumper cables with alligator clips, Black, Red and Yellow with one clip removed on each cable 278-001.
One 6 to 18volt dc Piezo buzzer 273-068 (or similar)
Two 9 volt battery snap on connector units 270-325
Two standard 9 volt batteries

The Black lead is attached to the negative side of the Piezo Sounder with the alligator clip the loose end.
The Red lead is attached to the positive side of the Piezo Sounder with the alligator clip the loose end.
The two 9 volt batterys are connected together in series to make an 18 volt unit.
The positive lead from the 18 volt unit connects to the positive of the Piezo Sounder. The negative lead connects to the Yellow lead with the alligator clip the loose end.

DO NOT USE THIS ON 110 V AC CIRCUITS!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL GET HURT!!! :O

Using the noisy little monster:
The Black clip is attached to the chassis ground of you vehical. If you are hunting a short in a wire connect the Yellow to the wire and start moving the suspect wire around. When you rub the bad spot in the wire against the chassis ground the sounder will sound. This is nice because the sounder can be 30 feet away and you will hear it make noise when you find the short.

If you are checking for voltage on a wire, clip the Black lead alligator clip to chassis ground and use the Red lead to check the wire you are working on. If voltage is present you get noise. Want to check your brake light wiring, connect the Black lead to chassis ground in the trailer stop light and Red to the hot side of the bulb holder, hit the brakes and you can hear the sounder easily.

Want to check a bulb/fuse, pull the bulb/fuse and put the Black lead to the center tap of the bulb/fuse and the Yellow to the outer case/other lead of fuse. If you get noise the bulb/fuse is good. Is a wire shorted? Connect the Black clip to one wire and the Yellow clip to the other wire, shake.wiggle or short the wire at the other end. Noise equals a short.

I have used a unit like this for years in chasing down bad wire in alarm systems. If you want to make it cute put it in a Radio Shack project box 270-1809, mine is just held together with about 5 ft of electrical tape.

DO NOT USE THIS ON 110 VOLT AC CIRCUITS!!!!!! YOU WILL GET HURT!!! :O

I hope I have written this clearly so everyone understands how this works and how to use it.
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:35 am

OkieSailor

For what it is worth, you should get a scanner. Then you could draw things up on a piece of paper and scan it into the PC. Then maybe someone could/would redraw it for you with CAD or something.

Sounds like a GREAT gadget to have. :shock: Think that I may have to get the parts and build one. :thinking:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:04 am

OkieSailor,

Why don't you save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy a cheap VOM? It will do everything you need to do and I've seen them for as little a $9.95.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

VOM

Postby OkieSailor » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:25 pm

This noise maker is designed for the electrically impared. VOMs you need to know something about what you are checking and what all the little symbols on the VOM mean.
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:14 pm

Okie Sailor,

I kinda think I want one. I read a story in a 3rd grade reading book about building a flashlight from scratch, and I actually managed to build a working light following those directions.

You need a wooden ruler, like for elementary school, and a string, and a wire, some black tape and a flashlight bulb and a couple batteries.

Ring any bells yet?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:24 am

OkieSailor,

Try this link, if you want to try CAD for yourself (FREE) http://www.sharewareconnection.com/multimedia-design-illustration-1.htm Some of the programs are Free and probably easy to learn. I have not tried any of them yet, but have downloaded 3 or 4. :thinking:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Diagram of Circuit Checker

Postby OkieSailor » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:24 pm

I could not figure out how to put in a picture into the block, but here is the location of the drawing I uploaded.

http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/OkieS ... HECKER.jpg :D

If you guys are not nice to me I will post the LED lamp photos and diagrams when I build them for the interior and the hatch. I found some VERY bright LEDs to make interior lights and such with. $20.00 for 100 from Hong Kong thru E-Bay. 8)
Last edited by OkieSailor on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Re: VOM

Postby SteveH » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:39 am

OkieSailor wrote:This noise maker is designed for the electrically impared. VOMs you need to know something about what you are checking and what all the little symbols on the VOM mean.

I am very confident that if you can learn how to use a computer, you can learn how to use a VOM. And at the same time, learn a little about electronics theory. Believe me, it's not that tuff. :D ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:00 pm

The device you describe is no substitute for a VOM but is very useful for troubleshooting and for checking out new wireing as well. I have been installing and troubleshooting wireing for 20 years, have several VOM's on hand yet often resort to a device similar to what you described (mine is also housed in electrical tape).

When you only need to know if the circuit is complete, or if voltage is present, it is often easier to use audible indication rather than trying to see the display on a meter or even the trusty old test light. It gives you less information than a VOM, but leaves your eyes free to see what you are doing. That can take a lot of the hassel out of many electrical tasks.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Return to Electrical Secrets