Axel placement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Axel placement

Postby Chris C » Wed May 25, 2005 5:25 pm

I'm on the "starting end" of this teardrop building project. One of my concerns is to not exceed the tongue weight limit for my Honda Accord, which is 100#. Has anyone built their frame and tear, stocked it "ready to roll" and then adjusted the axel forward and rearward to acheive the desired tongue weight? Is that even a feasible approach? :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Re: Axel placement

Postby angib » Wed May 25, 2005 6:06 pm

Chris C wrote:I'm on the "starting end" of this teardrop building project. One of my concerns is to not exceed the tongue weight limit for my Honda Accord, which is 100#. Has anyone built their frame and tear, stocked it "ready to roll" and then adjusted the axel forward and rearward to acheive the desired tongue weight? Is that even a feasible approach? :thinking:

The occasional person here has said they've moved their axle - indeed Arne said just that yesterday (Widening existing trailer)

Quite a few boat trailers have adjustable axles so that they can be balanced - typically the axle is welded to two angles each side and U-bolts are used to clamp the angles to the rectangular tube frame rails. My family towed a 16ft boat on such a trailer all over Europe.

The U-bolt system wouldn't be very neat on a teardrop, but you could use a couple of angles back-to-back and bolt them together once you've finalised the balance.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed May 25, 2005 7:26 pm

I'm sure lots of people have moved their axels. I'm not suggesting an adjustable axel. But rather than trying to calculate or guesstimate the proper positioning for the axel before construction is completed, I'm just wondering if finding the near perfect spot after construction and welding it in that position would be a more sensible approach. :thinking: .

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby SteveH » Wed May 25, 2005 10:24 pm

I'm just wondering if finding the near perfect spot after construction and welding it in that position would be a more sensible approach.

Chris,

That wouldn't be to hard to do. Build your tear on the frame supported by a jack stand in each corner. When it is mostly complete, use two floor jacks with triangle shaped blocks to lift the frame where the axle would be and weigh the tongue. Move the jacks and blocks back and forth until you get the tongue weight you want.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed May 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Steve, I understand the process, and know it could be done fairly easily. My question is.............is there anyone out there who has actually done it. My reason for asking is two-fold. First, of course, is my concern about tongue weight. But second, I'm wondering if someone ran into a problem, such as.......finding the proper placement actually required moving the axel so far forward it impeded the door? Call me a worry-wart, but I like to have my ducks all in a row before I start a project. :thinking:

Chris C

Postby SteveH » Thu May 26, 2005 6:59 am

finding the proper placement actually required moving the axel so far forward it impeded the door?

Chris,

I can't answer your question about if it has ever happened. However, I don't believe it will happen if you somewhat adhere to time proven teardrop designs. My own experience was I placed the axle where I thought it should go based on designs that I was modifying to make my design, and the tongue weight came out just right. I did construct my frame with the capability of moving the axle 2" either foward or back, but did not need to use it.

If you want to see how I did it, there are pictures in my galley.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 am

Chris C wrote:.......finding the proper placement actually required moving the axel so far forward it impeded the door? :

Bingo, Chris. You asked the million dollar question.

What plans are you using? And do you expect to be towing for very long trips?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Thu May 26, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks Steve. Very reassuring, and that's what I need at this point. I haven't purchased plans.........still not compltetely set on which way to go on choice yet. Don't even know how far I'll be traveling, IraRat, because I haven't camped in a trailer before. I have my trailer frame, but haven't modified it to 5' wide yet, so I'm still dreaming and asking a lot of dumb questions. I'm sure patience will be needed by all. But everyone has really been nice about answering them.

Chris C

Postby s4son » Thu May 26, 2005 9:08 am

Since we are on the topic. Can the tongue weight be changed by changing the length of the tongue? Do I win the dumbest question of the day award? If not, I can keep asking.

Scott Forsen
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu May 26, 2005 11:29 am

Scott wrote:Can the tongue weight be changed by changing the length of the tongue?

Yes, but not by much. Adding a foot to the tongue of a typical trailer would change a tongue weight that was originally 10% of the trailer's weight to a little less than 9%. And a foot is a big increase in tongue length!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 26, 2005 11:41 am

Now this is something I do not understand. Every where but everywhere they show the trailer being made first and at the end changing the placement of the axel and langthening the tung.

Wouldn't it be better to build the body first then you will know weight distrabution and where the trailer needs more support ? :?

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby s4son » Thu May 26, 2005 11:51 am

Your are correct, an additional foot is quite a bit. Thanks Andrew for the information.

Scott Forsen
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

moveable axel

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:25 am

I took a piece of flat stock and welded three nuts to it. It will slip inside the rect. tube from the end of the trailer and then I can drill holes and insert bolts through the angle, through the rect. tube rail, and into the strap nuts. Will be able to finish the trailer, load it up to towing config. and get the exact balance I want, piece of cake.

Eric "Gus" Marquardt
Last edited by eamarquardt on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:15 am

Ron Dickey wrote:Now this is something I do not understand. Every where but everywhere they show the trailer being made first and at the end changing the placement of the axel and langthening the tung.

Wouldn't it be better to build the body first then you will know weight distrabution and where the trailer needs more support ? :?

Ron D.

I built the body before I built the frame. I did it this way for 2 reasons, first, it took up less space; second, I could get further along with minimal capital investment. In other words, if I decided to abort the project, I could do it before I sunk too much money into it.

I did the scientific approach to deciding my axle placement. By placing the fenders on the side and seeing what looked good. Due to the size of my fenders, I only had about a 8in range before they would either interfere with the door or fall off the back end. I put the axle as far aft as I could.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:27 am

Damn Rocky, you mean to tell me it took you 2 years to come up with that answer? :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques