Mini side table plans

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mini side table plans

Postby Lynn Coleman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Hi all,

While we were camping at Fort Clinch with the other Florida Tearjerkers a thought came to me about making mini side tables to put a glass, cup of coffee or something on while we're sitting on the couch.

Here's a basic idea I've come up with. Tell me if you think it will work. I'm picturing using 1/4" or 3/8" wood. In my plans I wrote a piano hinge, I know that won't work because the table won't be flush against the wall.

Anyway, I'm open to any ideas and input you might have.

Thanks,
Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Kankujoe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:36 am

Nice little table... I've seen plans where the bottom piece is attached to the underside of the table top. Looks like it will work both ways.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Geron » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:46 am

The way I'm looking at it you'd have to offset the table hinge from the wall the thickness of the bottom support piece or the table would jam against the bottom support and not fold down flat against the wall in the down position.

Easy, Just cut a shim the thickness of the support and slip it in behind the hinge part that screws to the wall.

Thought about the plastic hinge from McMasterCarr?? 1588A72

However, a brass piano hinge might be "more purty" if you are concerned with esthetics. (my spall cheker says that ain't spelt rite but i looket it up!)

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sam I am » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Lynn, I just finished making a similar table for my tear. I used 1/2" birch plywood with 3/4" wide pine strips around the sides. The 3/4" thickness stops the supports from swinging out too far. The foam rubber helps keep them in place and prevents scratching of the underside of the table. Here are some pics:
Instead of hinges, I used screws to act as pivot pins. The cost was zero - all made from scraps. I will add a magnetic cabinet latch to hold it in the folded position so it doesn't flop around during towing. Geron is right, it has to be stood off from the wall to fold flat. I like your design. One support would be enough. Mine is overkill!
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:10 pm

Sam I am wrote:I like your design. One support would be enough. Mine is overkill!
Sam

Oh but Sam, your's is so much nicer. I'm going to look into redesigning it.

Like Geron mentioned in my design you have to put a spacer. I like simplicity and will have to take another look at my design.

Thanks for the input, sorry it took me so long to respond but we had a good day building yesterday.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques