Welding vs Bolting

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Welding vs Bolting

Postby jasonnilsson » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Has any one ever bolted a frame together rather than welding it? It sems to me that it would be cheaper.
Jason
jasonnilsson
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:30 pm

All of the Harbour Freight trailer frames are bolted, and yes, I believe they are cheaper.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:14 am

It all depends on what you want. If you want to buy the material it would be cheaper to weld it together as opposed to buying all the hardware and the time involved for drilling and bolting it together. But if you don't have the know-how or equipment to weld it together then a bolt together prefab is definitely the way to go. Much cheaper than having someone weld it up for you, unless of course you have a good friend willing to do it for a few beers.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Rickxr2 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:14 am

I just ordered my trailer from a local trailer company. A 4'x8' frame, #2000 leaf spring axle, 14" tires and spoke wheels, 2" .120 square tubing, 2" coupler and 4 stabilizer jacks. Unpainted the total was $400. I don't think I could buy a HF trailer and bolt it together for that price. Every town has a weld shop, it could be worth checking out.

Rick
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:59 am

Our frame was done by a local welder. 5x9' frame, torsion axle, coupler, safety chains, and painted/sealed with an emulsion type of "paint". $500 for the trailer ready to roll, he also gave me some cool running lites. I furnished the tires and wheels.

2¢ worth: I remember seeing a special on the Discovery Channel on building techniques. If you use the correct type of bolts, they are as strong as welding, the bolts allow for torsion and flex in the frame. There are alot of Cubbys built on Harbor Freight frames running around out there.
Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:09 pm

The bolt vs. weld issue to me is more about stiffness than strength. A utility trailer will do fine with some flex and racking. A teardrop body is rigid and will either be rather stressed by the frame racking, or more likely, will be stiff enough by itself that the frame won't rack.

Those prices of $400-$500 for a completed (unpainted) trailer already welded to your spec's seem pretty good.

It seems that if you couldn't find a local welder to build it so cheap, but you wanted the trailer welded, you could bolt together the HF frame then have it welded by a pro or a buddy? That way it would be a very quick job for him.

Personally I like the idea of the bolt-togethers in that you can modify where the axle and cross members go.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:42 pm

SteveH wrote:All of the Harbour Freight trailer frames are bolted, and yes, I believe they are cheaper.

The 5x8 red trailer certainly would have been cheaper than the route I went. But then again, it doesn't have a torsion axle, and those fancy star wheels that I've been drooling over for 2 years!!! It's all in what you want I guess!

Here's the link that Tom found for red trailers!!!
http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jasonnilsson » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:47 am

Thanks for all the input! I'm not going to be buying a pre made frame as I need a weird size (68"Lx 60"W). I am going to be using 2"x2" steel for it. and it will have 1"x1" steel for the side frames and ribs. (I know it'll be heavy but I'll have a truck to pull it with :D ) The only problem is that I am not skilled with welding yet, so I don't trust myself to do it correctly, but I know I could bolt bowling balls together if I had to! :lol: i was just trying to figure out a way to avoid the cost of having someone else weld it.. There's arnt any members in Anchorage Alaska who would be willing to weld it for me are there?! :R
Jason
jasonnilsson
Teardrop Builder

Postby ceebe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:17 am

Welded is probably a bit better way to go. That being said, a well bolted togther frame is going to be a lot better than a poorly welded one. Go with your strengths and find a way to work around your weaknesses.
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:10 am

mikeschn wrote:
SteveH wrote:All of the Harbour Freight trailer frames are bolted, and yes, I believe they are cheaper.

The 5x8 red trailer certainly would have been cheaper than the route I went. But then again, it doesn't have a torsion axle, and those fancy star wheels that I've been drooling over for 2 years!!! It's all in what you want I guess!

Here's the link that Tom found for red trailers!!!
http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp

Mike...

I'll be odering my 5 x 8 RedTrailer at the end of the week. I just noticed the the price has dropped to $450. It was $500 when I first spotted them a few weeks ago.

I haven't decided if I'll drive to PA to pick it up or spend the $90 to have it shipped. By the time I spend the $$ on gas and tolls, I won't be saving much. However, I am feeling the effects of cabin fever. A road trip might be nice.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:28 pm

I threw away the bolts that came with my Harbor Freight trailer after a couple of them broke off while tightening them. Replaced all the bolts with grade 8 bolts, then welded the cross memebers as well as the joint in the main rails. If a bolt fails, maybe the weld will hold and vice versa... :)

I actually believe that the frame would have been fine without any welding at all. But I did not trust those bolts that were supplied with the trailer after the heads started shearing off as hit them with the impact.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Anon 1 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:07 pm

An impact wrench is a terrible choice. Best idea is to get a chart showing the amount of torque that each and every bolt shouild be tightened to and then using a decent torque wrench.
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Anon 1 wrote:An impact wrench is a terrible choice. Best idea is to get a chart showing the amount of torque that each and every bolt shouild be tightened to and then using a decent torque wrench.

In pratice the impact was used to run the bolts snug. The ones that did not break were then tightened with a half inch drive ratchet. You check your chart, I'll be busy building my trailer...... :lol:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Anon 1 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25 pm

It's obvious that your ability to follow the professional advise of fastener manufactures and with your evident limited mechanical abilities any further advice from anyone is wasted. Sorry for intruding into your space. I thought that this forum was about helping each other with good sound advice. My mistake!!!
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Anon 1 wrote:It's obvious that your ability to follow the professional advise of fastener manufactures and with your evident limited mechanical abilities any further advice from anyone is wasted. Sorry for intruding into your space. I thought that this forum was about helping each other with good sound advice. My mistake!!!

Mr Anon 1

I have the ability, the tools, and the knowledge to follow the fastener manufacturer's advice, I also have the common sense to know when to take such extreme measures. I am building a torsion box on a bolted and welded frame. The frame will function quite well at keeping the axel attached to this rigid construction.

My "limited mechanical abilities" have made me quite a good living for many years.

Too late for advice on bolting my trailer frame anyway, maybe if it does fall apart you can say "I told you so".... :lol:

There is much good information on this forum. Like everyone else, I read what I want, and I use what I like, mostly I adapt what I consider to be the best ideas to my own methods, abilities, and the tools at hand.

One thing I have noticed on this forum is that most are willing to understand that there is more than one way to get the job done. Those who do not are limiting only themselves.

I'm building a teardrop trailer, not a space shuttle, don't think I will attempt to hold myself to NASA standards on bolt torque, paint thickness, or even aluminum finish. If you choose to do so then more power to you.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques