Lemon Law

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Lemon Law

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:45 am

The following is an exerpt from the Lemon Law Website. Visit the site for complete details for the individual states.

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

"The �federal lemon law� covers your RV. Do not be dissuaded by your dealer, or others telling you your RV�s problems are too small to be of any consequence. As you know, little problems can add up, causing your RV to spend many days in the repair shop.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that provides protection to buyers of products that cost $25 or more and come with a written warranty. This law applies to any product you buy that does not perform as it should, including mobile homes and travel trailers. The Magnuson-Moss statute gives consumers considerable rights in dealing with manufacturers of lemon recreational vehicles by guaranteeing minimum repair performance requirements and also by providing for disclosure of warranties before purchase.

One of the Act's purposes is to ensure repairs are performed within a reasonable period of time. If a product is covered by a written warranty, and any part of the product (or the product itself) is defective and cannot be fixed after a reasonable opportunity, the warrantor must permit the buyer either a refund or replacement or provide the buyer with monetary damages as compensation for the warrantor's failure to perform."

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mike C. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Todah. :thumbsup:

I will save the link in case I need it. :)
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby michaelwpayton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm

I find it interesting, and likely very telling, that I have never seen a teardrop that comes with more than a 1 year limited warranty. Maybe there are some out there... but, I did a lot of looking before deciding to build and never came across one.
-Michael

"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"
michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby TRDRPR » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:24 pm

I think a 1 yr warranty is the norm in the RV world. We bought a Chalet and it only had a 1 yr warranty. The parts (refrigerator, heater, pump, etc.) had their own individual warranties, but you have to read the fine print. Chalet doesn't cover the seals on their fans or windows at all.

Gretchen
TRDRPR
Teardrop Advisor

Postby michaelwpayton » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm

TRDRPR wrote:I think a 1 yr warranty is the norm in the RV world...
Gretchen

I think you're correct, i.e. 1 year is "the norm," but, I did just notice today that Camp-Inn (I think it was) has a 2 year warranty... with, of course, a fair number of exclusions :-)
-Michael

michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby Cary Winch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 am

A typical RV industry warranty is a 2 year with a 3 year structural. This is what ours is. When we originally wrote it we really just based it on a good number of the popular brand RV warranties out there.

Ours does not really have any exclusions other than road hazard and exterior staining and such caused by outside storage. Pretty standard fair really. I would honestly be surprised to see any of the other teardrop manufactures not doing something similar. But, I really have never looked at what the other teardrop manufacturers have for warranties.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby michaelwpayton » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 am

Cary... can you post a link to your warranty, on your Web site? I looked, but can't find it.
-Michael

michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby michaelwpayton » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 am

Nevermind... Cary... I found it :-)

http://tinycamper.com/warranty.htm
-Michael

michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Does anyone know how that workd in Alabama?

Postby TNpreacher » Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 am

My inlaws bought a new RV in Alabama and have had trouble since day one. The manufacturer says that the Magnuson-Moss Act does not apply in Alabama. I think this is ridiculous. Does anyone out there have some experience in this in AL?
TNpreacher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ooopsy_Daisy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 am

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that provides protection to buyers

"FEDERAL" meaning nation wide. I would ask the manufacture to provide such law information where they are exempt. As they are fibbing. Here is the Lemon Law for Alabama

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/Alabama- ... atutes.htm
Ooopsy_Daisy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rbeemer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 am

Ooopsy_Daisy wrote:The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that provides protection to buyers

"FEDERAL" meaning nation wide. I would ask the manufacture to provide such law information where they are exempt. As they are fibbing. Here is the Lemon Law for Alabama

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/Alabama- ... atutes.htm

If you look at Alabama's definition of a motor vehicle then a Motorhome does not fall under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Return to For Sale/Wanted