Workbench question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Workbench question

Postby bgordon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Like so many other teardrop trailer builders before me, I will build my trailer in my garage. I will need a big, strong, flat workbench to build the framing on. When finished, I need to be able to collapse/fold the workbench away in order for my car to be parked in the garage.

Seeing that I will be building 12 foot by 4 foot trailer sides, I need the workbench to be quite large. My question is about ideas (and particularly photos) of others that have gone before me, and have found ways to build strong but collapbsible benches.

Anyone with ideas and photos? Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Build the trailer first, attach the floor and use THAT as your workbench. When you're done, the workbench will be gone.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby johnnlynn2 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Barrie,
I've read topics where folks use the trailer floor as a workbench for the walls, etc. I have the same problem with a small garage. There have been times when I needed a long work surface, I used saw horses with long straight planks and a sheet of plywood on top. For something 12' long maybe 4 sawhorses with 4 long 2x6's. There are some good, strong folding sawhorses on the market now. You will probably hear lots of good ideas on this topic from all of the folks, it's amazing what some people devised.
have fun,
John
johnnlynn2
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 pm

I built a simple sturdy table in the basement to build the ultralight on. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I didn't figure I needed a table for the ET, since I was just cutting out 1/2" plywood. I glued the pieces together on the trailer floor, and then lifted them up into place.

Mike...

P.S. Ah here it is, before I put the top on it...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:40 pm

I have seen benches built that use a block and tackle to raise the bench up to the rafters.
Also have built a bench that folded up next to the wall. I used the studded wall with the side legs attached. Used a piece of thin wall conduit as the hinge for the tabletop. Then the other side legs just folded in to the tabletop. When the top was down the bench was up next to the wall. It only took up a little more than a 2x4 ‘s space. For a wider bench make the wall legs longer and slot the upper part for the conduit to lift up into.
;)
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:48 pm

Check out Steve Frederick's : http://www.steve-frederick.com/diner1.html
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:22 pm

No bench here, I used the floor. I made sure to get a set of knee pads first.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:30 pm

WarPony wrote:Build the trailer first, attach the floor and use THAT as your workbench. When you're done, the workbench will be gone.

Jeff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...that technique works quite well for us...................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:29 am

How about using folding sawhorses (buy them or build 'em).
Good folding sawhorse plan PDF: http://www.handymanclub.com/uploadedFil ... g_List.pdf
Then, either build the floor on them and use it for a work surface OR build a 2 x 4" framed, 1/2" plywood skinned folding benchtop. :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby jeepr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:22 am

I used the pile of plywood for cutting and the trailer floor for assembling. When one was done I stood it against the wall until the other was done, then I attached them both to the trailer. The bonus to doing it this way is the trailer still fits in the garage (I am using half of it for my tear). When I am done working for the day, I can roll the trailer into the garage and the plywood pile fits underneath.
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:08 am

madjack wrote:
WarPony wrote:Build the trailer first, attach the floor and use THAT as your workbench. When you're done, the workbench will be gone.

Jeff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...that technique works quite well for us...................... 8)

:thumbsup: Thats the way I did it. Got a $6 door on saw horses for the rest of the stuff. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bgordon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:54 am

Hi all,

That's what I like about this forum. You post a question and get lots of useful info. Thanks to all. Mike, thanks also for the pic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting... I did not think about the trailer as a workbench. Although I like Brick's simple solution of sawhorses. (Initially I thought I would go with the sawhorses, and still think it is the best solution for my purpose).

Thanks again to all.
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Everytime I set up a new workshop, I make a new set of sawhorses. Then I flip them over and sign them with the date and mustache logo. They are always the same height, 24 inches, so make ideal level supports for just about everything. Everyone should have a set of them, to saw on, stand on, paint on, to support scaffold planks, etc. Now, when my great-grand kids come upon my old horses, they'll know who built them and when.

Roly, signing, dating and logo-ing about everything that I build or remodel. Why? :thinking:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Barrie...you could do like I did...just ask your wife in your best suck up voice if she wouldn't mind if you took up the whole garage for a month or two while you build the family trailer. Focus on how much fun the whole family is going to have, and note that it's such a small inconvenience for a tempoorary setup!!! That will work pretty good until after the second winter into your build...I have no idea what excuse I'll use now...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bgordon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:41 am

Roly,

Thanks for the tip. I did make some saw horses, but did not sign them.... yet. :lol:

Dave,

We have something here that you don't in Juneau - CRIME. My one car was stolen a few weeks ago when I left it in the driveway (my other cars were parked in the garage). If I leave my cars in the driveway (behind locked gates, I must add!), they will not be there in the morning. So sadly, your advise will not work here... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques