Newer Coleman Oven Review

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Newer Coleman Oven Review

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 am

One of the nice things after completing the td was to treat myself to some new cooking appliances for camping. The Coleman oven doesn't good on every outing but it did for my week long family vacation where cooking was for 8.

Pictures tell it all.........................the kids loved the desserts baked in the oven. They helped make the cakes and helped with the cookie dough. Rose treated us all that Saturday morning as we woke up to cinnamon rolls made from scratch. Overall the oven gets two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I followed the advice given from other oven users and baked everything 25 degrees less and pretty much that was it. The oven gets real hot so you need some pot holders or silicone holders to pinch in the corners when you close it.

I made a box to easily fit in the back of my pick-up. The Coleman stove is always packed in the td's galley. The box will hold the grill, oven, and even has a shelf for the bakeware. I figured if the oven doesn't go why carry all the extras. So for now the box with shelves works out just fine and is an easy adtion to the back of the truck.

Enjoy the pics. I found bear shaped silicone ware at the dollar store so the youngest kids each had one. Then their cousin used the leftover for a 9" square cake just for her so she could add some extra frosting. The cookie dough was a mix that you just neede to add butter...........worked great for a quick dessert after mealtime, especially when there are 4 kids in camp!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:42 am

...thanks for the review Barb...it looks like your new "EzBake" was a big hit with the kids........ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby edevans » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Looks like you found a winner. Thanks for sharing. Ed & Ruby
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:03 am

Barb, thanks for the Coleman oven review and your pictures. You and the kids all look very happy.

I was intrigued by the Outback combination stove and oven. The Outback reviews seem mixed. It also seems to burn baked food too easily. Also the Outback would require a lot of limited room in the galley to build a slide out shelf to hold one.

Barb, when you turn the Coleman oven down 25 degrees did it bake your recipes well without burning them or needing too much fiddling around to make it work OK?

The portable Coleman oven seems like a good alternative to the Outback Oven. Especially when it's paired up with a Coleman, or similar, higher BTU (higher than the Outback stove burners) stove.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Newer Coleman Oven Review

Postby cccamper » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 am

b.bodemer wrote:One of the nice things after completing the td was to treat myself to some new cooking appliances for camping. The Coleman oven doesn't good on every outing but it did for my week long family vacation where cooking was for 8.

Pictures tell it all.........................the kids loved the desserts baked in the oven. They helped make the cakes and helped with the cookie dough. Rose treated us all that Saturday morning as we woke up to cinnamon rolls made from scratch. Overall the oven gets two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I followed the advice given from other oven users and baked everything 25 degrees less and pretty much that was it. The oven gets real hot so you need some pot holders or silicone holders to pinch in the corners when you close it.

I made a box to easily fit in the back of my pick-up. The Coleman stove is always packed in the td's galley. The box will hold the grill, oven, and even has a shelf for the bakeware. I figured if the oven doesn't go why carry all the extras. So for now the box with shelves works out just fine and is an easy adtion to the back of the truck.

Enjoy the pics. I found bear shaped silicone ware at the dollar store so the youngest kids each had one. Then their cousin used the leftover for a 9" square cake just for her so she could add some extra frosting. The cookie dough was a mix that you just neede to add butter...........worked great for a quick dessert after mealtime, especially when there are 4 kids in camp!

[/img]

Barb

hi barb!
i'm carb STARVED (love carbs!) after reading this post!

is this the insta-start coleman oven? the one i found is only 5" tall inside. if that is the case it seems like it would be difficult to cook the top/bottom of these items because there would be so little room for circulation. maybe there was a typo... (Cabela's -- "Interior of the oven measures 12"D x 14"W x 5"H and has a stamped steel interior." )

i want one NOW! :) just 4 days till we take off for west virginia!
elizabeth
ps those kids are *precious*! i'll take one of them, too. i miss my son being little. (and controllable :lol:
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Elizabeth.....................yes this is the instant start Coleman. I waited until it was on sale at Camping World and then bought it. Worked great and on my last outing enjoyed pizza too.

Steve.........no trouble with anything burning and it's easy to bake at 25 degrees less and all seems well.

Certainly is a fun addition to my camping kitchen set up!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cccamper » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 pm

mmmmmmmmm
thanks barb, it's good to know about the oven. gonna be a while before i can make biscuits in a dutch oven. the idea of fresh cookies seems awesome, never have had them out camping!
now pizza too! i could freeze some dough and pack the anchovies and things.. mmmm!
robert thanks you, too!
elizabeth
(and i love the little teddy cakes. i could use those, too!)
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets