12 volt Electric blacket or bedwarmer

Anything electric, AC or DC

12 volt Electric blacket or bedwarmer

Postby james tillitt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:28 pm

I would like some input about the advantages and disadvantages of each. I know (from other posts) some of the people on this site only use sleeping bags. My problem is that my wife is cold blooded and I'm hot blooded. She wants it toasty warm in the trailer and I'd like it a little cooler, which makes me think the blanket would work better for me.

Also how much electricity do these use?
james tillitt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gerdo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:31 pm

I was looking at These They make a dual control. ("T" series) The only 12 volt heated blankets that I have found have a timer that turns off after 30-45 mins. Like this
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:31 pm

A buddy of mine uses one of these on his sailboat . . . . actually, his wife uses it ;)

http://www.alltvstuff.com/ettb2.html

It's cheap and uses surprisingly little juice because it's cycled off a much greater percentage of the time than it's cycled on

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby mrchuc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:35 pm

We are new to teardropping, but we use heated mattress pads (bedwarmers) in our house to save on energy at night. We find them to be very comfortable and plan to get one for our Little Guy tear. The dual control models are best for us since, just as you described, I like it cool and my wife likes it warm. Thus, my side is set on 3 and hers is on 8. :)

It seems that the pads use about 100 watts depending on the size (if I have read the specs correctly). However, since the heat cycles on and off it generally uses quite a bit less. :thumbsup:

The advantage of the bedwarmer (mattress pad) over an electric blanket is that the pad is under you and heat rises. That means that the heat fills up the space between the mattress and blanket, right where you are. An electric blanket works too, but I don't find it as comfortable.

Hope this helps...

Chuc
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary W » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:35 pm

We've used our 12v heated mattress pad now for 10yrs now along with flannel sheets and a down comforter. We have used the tear in rain or shine year round here in the Northwest with no insulation in roof and 3/4 walls. For the time it is on there is not alot of battery draw down. Make sure you always leave a vent or window open a crack while sleeping no matter what the weather.
Gary W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobR » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 am

I really like my Electrowarmth mattress pad. Dual controls work great for my wife and I. I would highly recommend this product.

http://www.electrowarmth.com/fleet.php
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:56 pm

Yikes, let's curl up with a nice EMF (electro magnetic field) to keep us warm at night. There have been studies with regards to EMF hazards to your health. Some studies may suggest that there is not enough info, or enough levels to create health problems. I just know that I will NEVER use an electric blanket to keep me warm at night.

You can be your own judge, Google EMF and electric blankets etc...

Do you ever get those tiny little pamphlets from the local electric company warning customers about EMF. Those pamphlets are given for a reason! So you don't have any reason to sue them because they sent out the warning.

It would be interesting to know how many people that use electric blankets now, will discontinue using it after reading any number of reports.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 pm

cuyeda wrote:Yikes, let's curl up with a nice EMF (electro magnetic field) to keep us warm at night. There have been studies with regards to EMF hazards to your health. Some studies may suggest that there is not enough info, or enough levels to create health problems. I just know that I will NEVER use an electric blanket to keep me warm at night.

You can be your own judge, Google EMF and electric blankets etc...

Do you ever get those tiny little pamphlets from the local electric company warning customers about EMF. Those pamphlets are given for a reason! So you don't have any reason to sue them because they sent out the warning.

It would be interesting to know how many people that use electric blankets now, will discontinue using it after reading any number of reports.

You struck one of my nerves!

I was born under mutable high-tension power lines and lived in that house 19 years. Then went to work on high power electrical equipment that consumed millions of watts of power. Both of my parents lived in that house for 40 years. My father died from his 17th hart attack at 80. My mother is still going strong at 94. For the last 20 years I have worked around an electro magnetic field of 3 Tesla that is 60,000 times stronger than the earth. Of the thirty units each will consume 1 megawatts per 24 hr day but the magnet is super conductive and has some 600 amps of current running through it all the time even when the equipment is turned off. I have a titanium plate in my leg and tungsten dust embedded in my eyes. The magnetic field will make the mussels around the plate ache and my eyes burn. I still can walk and see fine. I have over 100 coworkers with the same time as I have or more working on this equipment. Out of 100+ people our chronic health incidents is one. Much lower than the office personal with the same time working here. They have 4 chronic health incidents per 100 people and are no ware near the EMF. As to the California power pamphlets are sent out because someone sued them and part of the settlement was to distribute pamphlets. I never have received a pamphlet about the dangers of EMF…with my power bills. So that looks to me like a California thing! You can make a study define any thing you want it to. The light from a trillion fireflies can make you blind! Have you ever seen a trillion fireflies? Have you been blinded by fireflies?
:x

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 pm

My next door neighbor retired from the power company after 35 years and he frequently worked on the high tension lines, wearing a suit with a wire attached to the 60,000 volts and he's still going strong

I've seen many pictures of him hanging from the hot wire, working on insulators and such. He says it does react a little with the fillings in your teeth, but it's sure never given him any health problems

Can't see how even the most 'alarmist types' among us could compare that to sleeping under a 12 volt electric blanket . . . . but someone will (and sure enough . . . . someone did) ;)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 pm

errr....I wear A tinfoil hat.........I ain'ta skeered of no EMphhh waves :roll: ;) .............. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:07 pm

madjack wrote:errr....I wear A tinfoil hat.........I ain'ta skeered of no EMphhh waves :roll: ;) .............. 8)

Madjack I’m OK just crazy but I’ve been tolled I been crazy all my life! :lol: :R

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:
madjack wrote:errr....I wear A tinfoil hat.........I ain'ta skeered of no EMphhh waves :roll: ;) .............. 8)

Madjack I’m OK just crazy but I’ve been tolled I been crazy all my life! :lol: :R

Chuck

Chuck...being crazy is the one thing that keeps us from going insane!!! :R so let's all be a little crazy :twisted: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:18 pm

madjack wrote:
Chuck Craven wrote:

Chuck

Chuck...being crazy is the one thing that keeps us from going insane!!! :R so let's all be a little crazy :twisted: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

Yes I have found that being little crazy, life is worth living and the ones that are not just live miserably. Better crazy and happy then just plane miserable. 8) 8) :)

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:20 pm

Anyone who is concerned about electromagnetic fields (and I'm certainly not saying you should be) might want to note that the recommended product runs on DC power, so the resulting field does not alternate... it is not a radio antenna, like unshielded AC power lines.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:11 pm

No disrespect for anyone's opinion but...I've been sleeping on the electric mattress heaters since the early 70's and in California too :lol: . My doctor said after my physical that I was a healthy adult. I'm no electrician but with all the appliances in our homes and the wiring in our walls and all the radio and cell and TV waves in the air I would think we would be falling off like flies it this was harmful. I even heard that shaving with an electric shaver could cause prostate cancer through the brain or something :roll: . We really love the warmth the Electrowarmth mattress pad provides for us. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets