Lady Tear Droppers, drop in and say "Hello"!

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby b.bodemer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Hello lady teardroppers...........................

Even though I've enjoyed over 30+ nights of camping my first teardrop summer I'm finding there are still lots of little things that I want to add or change.

Cleveland had several warm days last week and it gave me a chance to make and test an insert for my air conditioner. I know there are lots of ways people are installing theirs but here's my hot weather solution when I'm camping next summer and the temps go up. The nice thing about my set up is that I have the luxury of added space having an F150 as a tow vehicle and I have two doors in my teardrop. The project also mimics my screen insert that I used on the hottest days last summer. :fan:

So my air conditioner will get packed in the truck for sure on my next southern river trip in July 08 or anytime it really starts to heat up again next summer.

My screen insert.

My window shaker set up.
I used wing screws and insert nuts to secure the top while the bottom legs are sitting on a 2 x 2. The grey foam is pipe insulation. It gives the insert a clean look and won't scratch anything up around the door framing.
I used the same idea on the inside creating cross braces to keep the insert in place. The green is the same color as my cabin ceiling.
Found all the pieces and parts at Home Depot. The drill bit needed was the most expensive part of the project.
My trusty cowgirl kept me company through the whole air conditioning project!

Next project...................when it gets cold enough see how the heater and the electric mattress pad work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snow

Take care everyone and keep posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's keep this thread alive and well.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flygal6 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Hey Barb,
Very cool A/C insert and install. Would love to do something similar for my petcool, but I only have one door. I'm expecting my pet cool this week. Just a little nervous about cutting through the outside wall even though it comes with the hole cutter and I have "Power Tools" Your install looks great, nice clean and neat. We should try to do a northern Indiana weekend next season. Kinda like meeting halfway.
Carol
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby Tcurr » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Very nice install.
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Tom & Brenda
Westerville, Ohio
Tcurr
Silver Donating Member

Postby BillyLandry » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Way to go Barb. Looks like that will work good for you. :thumbsup:
"It's not the qualifications--It's the willingnest."
BillyLandry
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:01 am

Sorry for posting this a little late but my youngest son, Dusty (26) got married this weekend to my receptionist, Jamie and my head was in full wedding mode the last two week. But now I'm back and ready to talk camping...and ready to go camping.

Flygal6:

Your privacy room is a beauty-full thing. Your creativity deserves a two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . And you finding those adorable camping curtains just puts it over the top.

One suggestion, if you haven't already thought of this...if you have a problem with the wind blowing it around, at those inappropriate moments, sew a small "weight" bag and velcro it to the corners of your curtain (or sew a large snap on it). I used the biggest fish weight I could find, one of those sinkers, and made the bag long, oh, about 3 inches and sewed a large snap on the curtain and the bag and it has helped me to keep my privacy room private. I did that on the 2 corners that meet at the teardrop because the other corners have velcro around the pvc. I just did that last weekend and will post some photos soon.

Barb:

Your a/c outfit looks great! I too have 2 doors on my Tear and am happy I do. My a/c was built in already and sits in the galley, which is ok. BUT, I am having problems with it not draining properly and it will dump water on my counter. I don't think I have the thing tilted enough or something. The hose that he has attached to the drain hole works but just not well enough. I'm going to play with it now that I have some free time on the weekends.

Mandy:

Thanks for the cool balloon photos. It's that time of the year again for all the festivals to start. I love Fall.

Rebecca
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am

Barb, great job on the a/c set-up! It looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

Flygal6, love the privacy room! :thumbsup:

I spent the weekend painting the inside of the wheel wells with asphalt emulsion and varnishing the cabin and upper galley shelves. Since the weather hasn't been cooperating enough for me to pull out the trailer and get to my table saw, I have been finding other things to do on the trailer. I cut out the hole for the water fill and drilled the holes for the side marker lights as well. I'll probably start working on the wiring and propane line that will run under the chassis, as I finish up the varnishing. I am also hoping to put the interior ceiling skin and spars on this next weekend (they are sitting to the side ready to go). My shop is so cramped right now, I usually end up covered in bruises after a weekend of working on the trailer. :lol:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby SamR » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:33 am

Hey Ladies! Haven't heard from anyone in a while. Anything new?

I haven't accomplished much on the Turtle. The more leaks I find and fix the more crop up. I really did a lousy job joining the roof and walls. I may tear off the roof and start over at that point. It'll have to wait a while though; the house project continues to grow. I found asbestos in 2 walls. :( I used to love old houses...
SamR
Teardrop Master

sisterhood of lady teardroppers

Postby Eunice » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 am

Hi Sam. nothing new here. I have put the tear in storage for the winter. I plan on getting it painted this winter before the 15th DAM gathering May 1st. I want to keep this thread going also. i will need advice when I start painting the tear. I did the fenders with a rattle can but wont do that on the body. New experience for me and I will need your advice and SUPPORT.
I have to do some house stuff also but not remodel just clean and store issues. We live in 150 year old farmhouse. It isnt a fancy one just a small box but his grandparents lived here so lots of memories. I need to do a thorough cleaning (out) of the closets. just not enough room, not enough closets.
Came home with 3 cast iron skillets yesterday. (they were my grandmothers) so my mom gave them to me. I am embarassed by how many pans I have so out go all that are not cast iron.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:16 am

SamR wrote:Hey Ladies! Haven't heard from anyone in a while. Anything new?

I haven't accomplished much on the Turtle. The more leaks I find and fix the more crop up. I really did a lousy job joining the roof and walls. I may tear off the roof and start over at that point. It'll have to wait a while though; the house project continues to grow. I found asbestos in 2 walls. :( I used to love old houses...

Sam do you have a detail picture of your roof and wall where it leaks. Might be able to fix it.

At a minimum, you might be able to strip the paint and epoxy the seams. I built an epoxy dam on all sides of my seams. It is working so far.

Let us know how we can help. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby AmyH » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 am

Sam, I am thinking of doing the same thing that Miriam suggests, building a bit of an epoxy dam. I just installed the interior roof skin and spars this past weekend, and I plan on putting the insulation in this coming weekend, along with doing a bit of wiring. Before I add in the insulation, I plan to coat the inside skin with epoxy. After I put on the exterior skin, I'll coat it with epoxy as well, letting the area where the sides and roof meet get a nice thick coating.

Get us a pic if you can, so we can help out more. The Turtle must be mended! :D
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby swissarmygirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:26 pm

How to be leak-proof has been on my mind lately. I have a little ways to go before I have to make a final decision on how the exterior is going to be done. I've bounced back and forth (I'm sooo indecisive!) thinking about fiberglass, epoxy, rubber roof stuff, blah blah blah!!!
:?
Any and all suggestions are certainly welcome. :)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby SamR » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks Ladies. Wouldn't you know, I just moved the Turtle into the garage last night. I have a whopping inch of clearance on one side, and 2 on the other, so I'll have to pull it out and take some pics. My big problem is that I didn't worry terribly much about small notches in the arcs where I got off track, as long as they were the same on both sides. Those small notches sure look huge with daylight showing through. I'll get some pics this weekend, though.

Aunti M-I've been thinking about you. I haven't seen any updates lately. How are you feeling?
SamR
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Not to move away from the current conversation, but I thought I would post some pics of the recent work I have completed. I finally got them uploaded to my Flickr site. My computer is so weird that I have to restart it a few time before I finally get a good internet connection (argh!).

Here are the shots:

Upper galley cabinets, varnished and ready for shelves and face frame:

Wheel wells were painted with asphalt emulsion:

Light switch plates were installed:

Interior roof skin went on this past weekend:

Pic showing the cabin area cabinets, ready for shelves and the face frame, also showing the interior roof skin in place:

Pic showing the gluing up of the roof blocks (I installed the interior skin using Steve Fredericks method from his manual, so I had leftover wood from cutting the ledge):

That is it for now. I am hoping to install the reading light and insulate the roof this weekend. Next weekend I am hoping to put the outside roof skin on! I am soooooo excited that it is all starting to come together, finally!
Last edited by AmyH on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Tcurr » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:49 am

It looks awsome. Very nice build.
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Tom & Brenda
Westerville, Ohio
Tcurr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 am

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
Hurry Amy, my goodness I just can't wait. It looks so great! Have you taken a nap in it yet? 8) You know once you get that ceiling in you can sleep in it. ;)

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers