exhaust vent

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

exhaust vent

Postby waywardson » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:44 pm

hello everyone,
i'm looking for a thru the side wall type exhaust vent, the type that comes on when you release the pull chain that holds it closed, i think its an old style vent thats still being made, anyone have any ideas ? thanks, george
waywardson
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:13 am

Here's what I did:

I don't know yet how well it will work but I should have 2 air exchanges a minute. Here's where I got the fans:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=259-121

Total cost: $10 plus shipping. :)
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:29 am

Bruce... all the times I've looked at your galley I thought those were speakers with some funky covers... :lol: That's a great idea and it doesn't matter if it's raining... I have a box of fans like that which I took out of old computer cases years ago... wonder where they are.. :roll:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

?

Postby kirkman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:21 am

Bruce,
Are both fans exhaust or is one a intake?
Are you planing on leaving the galley hatch open? and what if it is poring rain out can you leave it open just a crack?
I cant leave mine open where I camp because of the Bears!!!!! I like your idea and I am trying to figure out what type of exhaust fan to put on my tear that would be nuisance bear proof. They are pretty bold out here in the east!
Jason
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby waywardson » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am

hello everyone and thanks for your ideas,
I'm wanting to vent the cabin, i have approximately 300 cubic feet of air to change over in it, i want it to vent thru wall and be water tight,
I have looked at using a new style nutone bathroom vent but they are just to loud, the one (older style) I'm thinking about may be to loud also, I havent located one to see, I want it to be 110 volt,
thanks, george
waywardson
Silver Donating Member

Postby BrianB » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:35 am

Those fans produce 49db a piece! Be forewarned that 49db is about as loud as a hair dryer.

Bruce, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have one of the best constructructed galleys I've seen yet. I'm planning on the same style of cabinets that you've done, only in a darker oak (are your cabinets maple?). Anyway, really beautiful work on those.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby waywardson » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:55 am

thanks for the info brian, i was afraid that might be the case,
i guess they are all loud,
btw, sorry for wasting your time guys, i wasnt thinkin' straight,
as i will be installing ac i can use it on fan only when needed,
sorry again,
george
waywardson
Silver Donating Member

Postby john » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:52 am

I'm useing an electric 120 bathroom vent. The noise concerned me also, so I wired it to run off a dimmer switch.
[/img]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/johngwalkerjr/detail?.dir=99c0&.dnm=377a.jpg&.src=ph[img]

The dimmer on the left runs the lights below the two outlets. the dimmer on the left runs the vent fan which pulls the air out of the trailer through the cavity around the heater and out under the trailer. The fan iself is mounted under the floor.

I chose to mount it this way to avoid as many holes in the roof and sides as possible. In fact there will be no holes in the roof and the only holes in the sides will be for the doors/windows and the seam for the galley.

[/img]
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby john » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:57 am

I goofed and hit the submit button insted of the preview button. Here is a link to the pic.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/johngwalkerjr/detail?.dir=99c0&.dnm=377a.jpg&.src=ph

and a link to my teardrop album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/johngwalkerjr

john
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Re: ?

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 am

kirkman wrote:Bruce,
Are both fans exhaust or is one a intake?
Are you planing on leaving the galley hatch open? and what if it is poring rain out can you leave it open just a crack?
I cant leave mine open where I camp because of the Bears!!!!! I like your idea and I am trying to figure out what type of exhaust fan to put on my tear that would be nuisance bear proof. They are pretty bold out here in the east!
Jason

Jason,
I plan to try it out with the hatch cracked open. I've got plenty of 1"x2" scraps I can use. If that doesn't work then I'll put some soffit vents in the side of the galley, up high above the top cabinet. It doesn't stay hot at night in Colorado so I don't anticipate needing the fan at night. It's mainly so I can take a nap during the day. :lol: Both fans push out from the cabin but you could set it up anyway you wanted. I haven't had any bear problems around here, in fact, I've never even seen one.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:03 pm

Thanks Bruce!
I don't think I could get away with the soffit vents I think the bears would rip them off to try to get in to the galley. I think I might try putting a vent opening\door in the bottom of the galley.( galley floor ) that I can close tight for traveling.
Jason
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jeffwholmes » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:43 pm

Just an idea for those wanting to vent there cabin thru the side wall, I was thinking of doing the same thing and thought about using the same setup we use on our ambulance.

You can see in the picture bellow, if you look just above the K in Kanawha you can see the chrome vent hood, we have two vents in the back one on each side.

I haven’t seen a leak as of yet, and considering we drive highway speeds and sometimes more in rain snow and we log a lot of miles on our trips, Charleston, WV to Pittsburg PA, Cleveland OH, Raleigh NC. Charlottesville VA. and the like. I think they would do fine in a trailer, you could use on for exhaust and one to vent, that would give good cross ventilation and be water tight
jeffwholmes
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:31 pm

BrianB wrote:Bruce, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have one of the best constructructed galleys I've seen yet. I'm planning on the same style of cabinets that you've done, only in a darker oak (are your cabinets maple?). Anyway, really beautiful work on those.

Thanks Brian! The cabinet faces are made out of maple. If I had it to over again, I would probably pick oak. There's a lot of variation in the color of maple and it doesn't stain well.
Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:36 pm

kirkman wrote:Thanks Bruce!
I don't think I could get away with the soffit vents I think the bears would rip them off to try to get in to the galley. I think I might try putting a vent opening\door in the bottom of the galley.( galley floor ) that I can close tight for traveling.
Jason

Jason,
Won't the bear just rip the galley hatch off if he wants in? The bears at Yosemite will rip the door off a car to get in. I was thinking of a little round soffit vent like this (but not in copper!)
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:44 pm

kirkman wrote:Thanks Bruce!
I don't think I could get away with the soffit vents I think the bears would rip them off to try to get in to the galley.
Jason

I'm thinking a different place to camp might just be a better solution. Maybe a spot where the bears are a little more well fed.
Almost sounds like you might want to skin that thing with 1/4" steel plate rather than aluminium! LOL
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques