Cabin car?

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Cabin car?

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:02 pm

Does anyone have plans for the Cabin Car. Pics can be seen on Nick's Teardop page

I am very interested in seing more of this!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby jay » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:13 pm

notice how nicely the windows mimic the shape of the profile? they, in addition to the wood battens, also draw the eye away from the odd shaped door.
jay
Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:50 pm

Mike has some CAD drawings you might be interested in.

Go to http://www.mikenchell.com/teardrop/wild_designs/index.html and check out page 3.

I too am looking for more information on this trailer. If anyone has more pictures of an original one, especially the inside, or any other information, let me know.

The pictures I have so far are on my site at http://www.300f.com/teardrop/cabincar.htm.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:13 pm

I just realized, this was a manufactured trailer rather than a homebuilt. Does anybody know the parent company? It might be possible to find some original brochures, etc.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:30 pm

I also think this trailer is neat. Anyone know what the weight would be? Width and length?
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby angib » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:35 am

I did a Cabin Car design some time ago but never posted it.

It's now at: Cabin Car

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:55 am

Nice work Andrew. Just printing that now.
I guess we are all looking for interior pics. I wish I could find a brochure or something.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Grant » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:26 pm

The Cabin Car was made by the new RV division of Fleet Aircraft Co. in Ft. Erie, Ont., Canada, just prior to and after WWII. I know of only two woodies still in existance, and one very rare factory-produced aluminum-clad version squirreled away up in Canada. And no, I'm not at liberty to divulge owners or locations ... ;-} ;-}

I know everyone wants to know all the info on all these vintage teardrops NOW, but be patient ... a book on the history of teardrops is in the works, and as much info as is available at the time will be included. Remember, the history of teardrops dates back over 70-odd years, and a project like this can't (and won't) be done overnight ... might actually end up taking a couple of years, 'cause it ain't gonna be done half-a#@ed ... ;-} ;-}

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:46 pm

could anybody possibly tell me how long the ruggedrender on page six of the wacy ideas pages is? I like its design. It is sorta grasshopper. When I first started looking at tears I didnt like them but now the strike me very whell. It sorta reminds me of a humer. If anyone knows I would like the length, hight, wheight, and if possible the cost, thanks. just send me a private message, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 am

The rugged render as shown on that webpage is a 4x8 teardrop built on a harbor freight trailer. It's a pretty basic design, and can cost as little or as much as you want it to.

A good starting point to figure out costs is a list put up by Darryl, here
http://home.alltel.net/engled/td/cost.html

Have fun...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:22 pm

thanks mike
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Cabin Car » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:21 pm

Maybe I am the squirrel, or maybe there are two of us. I have an aluminum clad Cabin Car. It was made by Fleet in Fort Erie (across the border from Buffalo) after the war. Fleet were looking for projects to keep their post war work force busy. We figure mine was made at the factory as it is too well done to be homemade. It is probably a proto type to try and improve on the poor weathering of the wooden models. Unfortunately mine is in poor condition as it is siiting outside not under cover and the door is off. Like everyone else I would like to restore it but time and $$$
will tell.
Cheers
Barry
Cabin Car
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Grant » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:59 pm

"Maybe I am the squirrel, or maybe there are two of us. I have an aluminum clad Cabin Car ..."

O.K., folks ...

... looks like there are TWO aluminum-clad Cabin Car teardrops left! Barry's is the second one I've heard about - the first one is considerably west of him, but still in Canada.

Barry - first, get that thing under cover! Second, get busy restoring it (or please, pass it along to someone who will), 'cause it certainly deserves it! These things are rare enough, and examples like your's need to be documented and preserved and allowed to be SEEN if not used. Have you got photos you could send? [email protected] Thanks!

Good Luck with it, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Nick Taylor » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:13 pm

Barry,

Please share photos of it with the group. There is a lot of interest in this design.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:28 pm

Nick Taylor wrote:Barry,

Please share photos of it with the group. There is a lot of interest in this design.

Nick.

I Ditto that... I especially would like to see some inside shots, especially what is towards the bulkhead wall on the inside!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Traditional Designs