Disney's Fort Wilderness

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Disney's Fort Wilderness

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 am

A couple people have asked about Disney's campground so I decided I'd do a review of it. We stayed there a couple of nights after Minden.

Let's get this out of the way, it's expensive as far as campgrounds go but much cheaper than the other Disney Resorts. We wanted to do it just because we never have. We usually just stay at my sister-in-law's which is only 30 miles away.

It is a rather large campground, almost an attraction in itself. There are buses that transport you within the campground. Auto traffic is discouraged so it is either bus, bike, foot, or golf cart. The sites are a bit smallish compared to what we are used to but they are well kept. The trees were a bit sparse but I think that was due to the hurricanes a few years back.

At the center of the CG is where they hold a marshmallow roast and sing-along, Chip & Dale (the Disney characters, not the pickle juice drinker & Cracker) show up to sign autographs for the kids. Near the back of the CG is another group of buildings, petting zoo, shops, restaurants, marina, etc. Also located here is Pioneer Hall, where they hold the Hoop-dee-doo Revue. The Hoop-dee-doo Revue is a dinner show that is kid friendly (this is Disney) that serves BBQ and fried chicken family style.

The bath house/laundry facility is pretty nice, one thing that makes it nicer is that they are air conditioned. You need a room key (you get one at registration) to get in after midnight. Buses are free, you can hop on a bus that takes you around the campground or hop a bus that takes you right to the park, they run till 2:00AM. The swimming pools are open 24hours. Cabins are available, which sleep 6 people. Probably more if you don't tell them.

We didn't do the Hoop-dee-doo Revue or the Sing-along because we had commitments outside the park. Here are a couple of things we learned, get a golf cart, it makes it more fun. When you go to the main Disney gate, tell them that you are going to Fort Wilderness or they will make you pay for parking. They keep security pretty tight, you need your key to get back into the park. They also have a guard on duty if you forget your key. Visitors have to park up front and catch a bus back to the camping loops.

Would we go back, probably not by ourselves we have a cheaper option 30 miles away. If we went with a group of friends we probably would. I only have a couple of pics, I'll post when I get a chance.

This is a good site that has a lot of information. http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/faq_fw.htm
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BobR » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:55 am

Asian Flava
Thanks for the good review and glad you enjoyed it at Fort Wilderness. FWC is kinda our home away from home for the 5 years spending at least 10-15 weekends there per year. We have camped there with both the tear and our Fleetwood Pioneer and always have enjoyed it. Here are a few more tips...

For the teardrop, request Spanish Moss loop with just water and electric, it a little out of the way but you won't be surrounded by Prevost coaches or giant 5th wheels. When we are there with the Pioneer we like the 1100, 1200 and 1300 loops with full hookups the best

Electric scooters and bicycles (BYO scooters, they don't rent them) are allowed and are an ideal alternative to the golf carts which are kinda pricey.

Skip the Hoop-D-Doo...

Use the boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom and connect to the monorail to enjoy all the MK resorts and to get to Epcot. We usually spend a day or evening bar hopping at the hotels this way.

Have breakfast at the Trails End at least once.

Do avoid the area during peak periods (Christmas, Spring Break and all summer long)...the best time is usually after Labor Day up to Thanks giving. The parks are less crowded and it is not as hot

Make your reservations well in advance, then call the front desk at Fort Wilderness 2 days before your arrival to restate your loop request.

Use the swimming pool by the cabins instead of the one by the Meadows Trading post. Usually nobody there.

I would be happy to suggest places to eat and see while your at WDW, just send me a private message.

Link to Fort Wilderness

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortLanding?id=FortWildernessCampgroundResortPage&bhcp=1
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Review

Postby gerry boucher » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:49 pm

Went to the Hoop de doo a few years ago
Fun show and the BEST FRIED CHICKEN EVER
I think it was $ 38 for Show& Dinner
Can't imagine what it is now.
gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

Postby clkelley564 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 am

Ft. Wilderness is also my home away from home. I've spent several weeks there tent camping over the years. I've got two weeks reserved in October and it will be the first time in my new T@B there. I also usually get the partial hookup loop either 1500 or 2000.

Loop 1500 is older, small, and every site is close to the comfort station, and it is centrally located to the Meadows area.

Loop 2000 is newer, a bit isolated, but has larger sand areas for multiple tents, awnings, etc.

I've stayed there the last couple of years, and will probably request it again in October because I'll have some tent campers joining me on my site.

I feel Ft. Wilderness has the best bath houses in the business (that I've visited). I like that the laundry is right there and I usually do my laundry every couple of days while I'm in the shower.

Ft. Wilderness also has many other activities such as horse rides, pony rides, wagon rides, games for the kids at the main pool. Also any holiday at the Fort is an attraction in itself. The campers really go all out to decorate their sites. Halloween usually has great decorations, and the creative decorations at the campsites at Christmas sometimes outdo the Disney Christmas decorations. These can be seen just about the entire month of December.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby TeamRuffcat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:40 pm

My husband and i are taking the lil guy to FWC the end of September for the Mickey and Mini meet.. hundreds of lil mini coopers.. and the chance to try our lil guy out on a longer distance campout!!
We are so excited!! 8)
TeamRuffcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clkelley564 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:22 am

There will also be a T@B rally being held in Loop 1500 at FW in late September, 09/24 - 09/30. I think about 10 trailers are registered.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741

clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby TeamRuffcat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:59 pm

8) thats the same weekend of the mini cooper rally..
so looks like i have the best of both worlds that weekend! lookin forward to seeing everyone there
TeamRuffcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clkelley564 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I just updated my blog with a full review and lots of pictures of Ft. Wilderness. I had a GREAT two week stay there. More pictures of the rest of Disney World and Universal/IOA to come.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741

clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 pm

TWO WEEKS!!!! :shock: :shock:
:envious: :envious: :envious: :envious: :envious:

I guess I will go read about all the fun YOU had :( :( :(

Mk :R ;) :D
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:49 pm

So does the park have WIFI (I think that's how you say it)? Any ways, got to check in on the board while sitting around the campfire. :)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby clkelley564 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:57 am

No, they don't have WiFi except near the Pioneer Hall and I think it's paid WiFi.

In preferred sites they have paid wired internet access available if you check out a cable modem from the desk.

I have a Verizon Air Card, so I can get internet just about anywhere.

Also, one thing I didn't mention, the only fire you can have at your campsite is in a fully enclosed off the ground fire pit, and only when there are no fire restrictions in place. You can have charcoal fires in the grills provided so those that must have dutch oven meals can still do so.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741

clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:05 am

The park is so big that wi-fi for the entire campground would require tons of equipment. The place is huge, they run a bus service within the campground. It's probably as big as 6 Pamplin Groves in area, but that's just my guess. Maybe if wi-max gets going, wireless internet would be more available.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales