3rd brakelight!!

Anything electric, AC or DC

3rd brakelight!!

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm an electrical dope...what is the thing called that I need to convert a regular brake/turn into a regular brake for the 3rd taillight that I want to put on the hatch on my tear? and are they available at an Autozone or Kragens? Doug :thinking:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: 3rd brakelight!!

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:33 pm

doug hodder wrote:I'm an electrical dope...what is the thing called that I need to convert a regular brake/turn into a regular brake for the 3rd taillight that I want to put on the hatch on my tear? and are they available at an Autozone or Kragens? Doug :thinking:

Here you go Doug. :D Danny link
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks Danny....now the thing is I need to maybe modify the rear light assy to accept a liscense plate light housing in addition to the brake...It wasn't made for the plate light. I'll wait till I get it in hand before I try to think that one through. Thickened epoxy will take care of a lot of stuff like that. doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dale M. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 am

There is a license plate frame available in "hot rod" world that has 3rd stop light function built in...

Why don't you just wire 3rd brake light wiring through from tow vehicle?....

Those JC WHITNEY logic circuits are notoriously for failing....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

Dale...I'm planning on using a late 40's trunk light from a Dodge as the 3rd light. I didn't know that there were any issues with the logic thingy and that seemed like the easiest way to go. I may have to run a wire from the tow vehicle. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Doug.. Let me know how that works out for you.. I'm looking for the same thing... 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:47 pm

John...I got the 3rd brakelight I wanted off of E-bay...a vintage Mopar one. I may try the logic thing, but will probably end up hard wiring it in to the 3rd light on the truck. At least I'll put in the wire for now...where it exactly gets connected is to be determined at this time. That's a ways off at this time. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 am

I had a little problem trying to wire in a 3rd brake light logic module on my tear. I have LED tail lights and wanted to make my incandescent model A tag light into a 3rd brake light. Anyway it seemed the LED's in the circuit didn't make enough load to fire the logic module to make the 3rd light work. So for now it is just an middle tail light/tag light. But..... maybe it was the logic module I got from JC Whitney that was at fault.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:31 am

Doug:

Maybe this is what you are asking about?
http://tinyurl.com/9whdj

Here are two threads that may help with more logic board links, Doug?
Third brake lights & maybe use a third light?
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=10151
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4864
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Steve_Cox wrote: Anyway it seemed the LED's in the circuit didn't make enough load to fire the logic module to make the 3rd light work. got from JC

Steve...that is exactly the same situation that I'm dealing with...I may end up with just a running light out of it in the end...I usually put a couple of LED's tucked under the frame in addition to the regular running turns just in case anyway. I'm sure I'll have plenty of light on the rear. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:39 am

WalMart sells a flat 5 wire trailer connector just like the flat 4 wire one you probably have now. The 5th wire is intended for backup lights, but it could just as easily be wired for the extra brakelight - Just tap the wire for the brake light on the car and send it to the brakelight on the trailer

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Lesbest » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Careful with snagging the third brakelight wire for the trailer. GM uses that circuit for the cruise control also. If the third eye bulb burns out- the cruise doesn't work, which causes you to take it to get fixed. And the HLBL is working again, instead of "the other 2 work so I'm not going to fix it."
HLBL= High Level Brake Light

I don't know if the extra load of another wire and bulb would cause problems elswhere.

Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I can tell you from experience that taping into the chmsl (center high mount stop light) as it is called in all the shop manuals I have seen, is not a problem. I ran a separate wire through a separate plug from the terminal in a plug in the left rear of my Venture van to the chmsl on my teardrop. That way it can be used by any tow vehicle with a flat four plug, it just wont have the chmsl. It has worked for 3000 miles now and I use my cruise control all the time.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:30 am

My Chevrolet P.U. (2005) actually has it wired out to area of trailer plug.. Not connected to plug, but available for use with either PU camper or trailer or what ever application you may want to use it for....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:12 pm

BrwBier wrote:I can tell you from experience that taping into the chmsl (center high mount stop light) as it is called in all the shop manuals I have seen, is not a problem. I ran a separate wire through a separate plug from the terminal in a plug in the left rear of my Venture van to the chmsl on my teardrop. That way it can be used by any tow vehicle with a flat four plug, it just wont have the chmsl
There isn't any problem using the flat 5 wire connector for that purpose either - All your other trailers with the flat 4 wire plugs will still plug into the 5 wire half on the tow vehicle . . . . the 5th connector in the plug for the CHMSL just doesn't connect to the 4 wire half on the other trailers. Using the 5 prong plug makes it nice because there is only one connection to make

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets