Porch lights.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Porch lights.

Postby ahjones3 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:30 pm

I've been looking for a neat light fixture to mount above the doors on my Cubby. I found this one at Home Depot. It's a Malibu.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahjones3/detail?.dir=ebd1&.dnm=dca7.jpg&.src=ph
It comes with a 7 watt bulb that is probably bright enough. I also tried an 18 watt Xenon bulb that was quite bright, but maybe too hot. I also found a yellow LED replacement bulb at http://www.superbrightleds.com/index.htm that might not attract bugs like the white bulb. It was only $1.79.
The fixture is black, but I'll probably paint it silver to go with all of the aluminum trim and roof (woody sides on mine).
Does anybody have a reason that this wouldn't work? 12 volts is 12 volts as far as a light is concerned. Right?
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

lights and lighting

Postby ocsawdust » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:14 am

Home Depot is ok, but you should look for a cool small profile one. Check out some boating outlets, they are also 12 volt. A couple places near me in California are West Marine @ www.westmarine.com , and Boat USA @ www.boatusa.com .

Hope that helps out a bit. Cool goose neck lights that would be nice interior lights are called chart lights. Check them out too. Just be careful, if you get a catalog they are like 500 pages!

ocsawdust
ocsawdust
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TonyCooper » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:55 am

SailorSams is a good place to shop as well... better prices me thinks...

www.sailorsams.com
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:03 am

I like the idea of adding a small, relatively flush porch light above the doors. It'll make it easier to find the way back from the restooms at 2am. :lol: How do I attach/wire it since my unit will be already built when I pick it up in June? I don't like the idea of drilling a hole all the way through the aluminum, insullation, interior panelling.:cry: I wonder if I can find a battery-powered unit. :thinking:
Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Solar porch light.

Postby ahjones3 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:46 pm

I wonder if I can find a battery-powered unit.

Tonight I was at Menards picking up some teardrop supplies and I saw a small, wall mount solar deck light. It's about 5"w x 3"h x 2"d with a small solar cell on top. It was on sale for less than $12, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere. It was in a display with all of the other Malibu type lights at the front of the store. I was thinking it would be good for a porch light, but I'm building my tear, so I can still hard wire it.
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

Lowes light

Postby davel » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Al,
We used one similar in ours and camped this weekend for the first time. The light worked great. We were really happy with our choice.
davel
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 pm

You guys have some great ideas for porch lights there. They look good on the trailer too.

But it seems to me that a light above the door would be much the same as having someone shine a flashlight in your face as you aproach the trailer. Also it would seem to attract insects to the largest hole in the trailer (the doors).

I'm considering using my marker lights instead. They are mounted low to the ground, they do not attract bugs like a clear light would, and it is easy enough to wire a switch from the battery to the marker light circuit on the trailer, best of all, they are already there. On my 5th wheel I sometimes use the "hitch light" instead. Just my thoughts on porch lights, not intended to detract from your own... :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

What Porch Light?

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 am

When I built my teardrop, I elected to not install a porch light (really I couldn't figure out how to wire it with solid plywood walls) but anyway, at this last weekends Purtis Creek gathering, it was not a problem not having one.

This was also our first time to use the teardrop, and since you need a flashlight when you get out at night anyway, it wasn't a problem.

The issue that Larwyn brought up about the bug problem is a valid one. I believe it was Friday night, my wife had the lights on in the tear when I got in, and the bugs were already a problem drawn to the lights in the windows. I'm shure if there was an additional outside light on, the problem would have been much worse.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: What Porch Light?

Postby purplepickup » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:20 pm

SteveH wrote:The issue that Larwyn brought up about the bug problem is a valid one. I believe it was Friday night, my wife had the lights on in the tear when I got in, and the bugs were already a problem drawn to the lights in the windows. I'm shure if there was an additional outside light on, the problem would have been much worse.

I'll bet a light right next to the door would draw a lot of bugs....right where you don't need them. I wonder how a couple of those solar, stick-in-the-ground accent lights would work. They could be put further away from the trailer but still provide enough light for cruising the campsite after dark.

SteveH wrote:This was also our first time to use the teardrop......

Sorry to get off the subject here but I've been waiting until you have used your mattress to get your opinion of how that firm foam plus memory foam topper is working out.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:01 pm

I'm still trying to find a porch light that I like. I've seen a couple of S.S. aisle/step lights on the city buses that I think would really work well as a retro-looking porch light. Anyone know where I can find something like that? Thanks, George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby ahjones3 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Hey George,
How about this one? http://intermatic.com/?action=prod&pid=73
It looks like it comes with both a prismatic & louver cover.
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:08 pm

Sorry to get off the subject here but I've been waiting until you have used your mattress to get your opinion of how that firm foam plus memory foam topper is working out.

George,

Sent you a PM.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 am

ahjones3, Not bad. I'm getting closer. I think I'm getting picky here but so far my cubby looks like everyone else's so I feel the need to "spice it up" somehow! Thanks, George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby TonyCooper » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:30 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:ahjones3, Not bad. I'm getting closer. I think I'm getting picky here but so far my cubby looks like everyone else's so I feel the need to "spice it up" somehow! Thanks, George.

George,

I went with a different light then most as well. I preferred a lower profile light from the square-ish porch lights I found at most RV shops. I ended up using this waterproof flush mount light. I figure we'll only use them once we are inside to look out the window at any critters milling around, or on bathroom runs.

Here is the spec page. Good luck in your hunt!
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Georgeandpat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks Tony, Those are nice. I think something round or oval is for me too although I definitely have to go with surface mounted fixtures at this point. I bought these vintage fixture covers on e-bay and I know I want to use them somewhere on the teardrop, I just have to build the fixture myself. :thinking: George.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/ ... lights.jpg
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets