Battery Charger or Converter-What are most of you using?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Charger or Converter-What are most of you using?

Postby larryl » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:21 am

Completing dc wiring, will be starting on ac soon. What are most of you using to maintain your battery level @ campgrounds. Charger or converter?

Larryl
PS

have been taking pictures of our progress will post soon.
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby TonyCooper » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:56 am

I picked up this 6amp automatic charger

from BatteryMart for $69 + shipping. Small, solid state, 4 stage intelligent charger.

I modified a PC power supply for use as a 12VDC source when tied into 110V AC power.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:17 am

I did mine a little differently than most, the only thing in the trailer working off 110 AC is the battery charger (6 amp). I also have an AC outlet in the galley just in case I ever need it.

I put a large boat battery in, and this last weekend as a test, ran all weekend without charging the battery and it did fine. Judging from how long the charger took to bring it back up to full charge, I'd estimate we used less than half of the battery capacity. We were using lights of course, a small TV for an hour or so each night, and a small fan in the cabin for a few hours each night.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby myjeepcherokee » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:32 pm

I've got the same setup with my electrical as you have, the charger runs on 110v, the rest is 12v. I use a 2/4/6amp charger / maintainer that I picked up at the local farm supply for about $40.00. One plus of the charger is that has a neat charge level gauge on it! Not to mention the smart charge function that monitors battery condidion and level and automatically adjusts the charge rate.

myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:21 pm

This is the charger that I'm using. It's in about the same price neighborhood as the others but since it is designed for marine use, it will take the exposure better.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Sparks and chargers

Postby Guy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:25 pm

Dear Myjeepcherokee,

That is a failry dangerous thing to do, placing your battery in the same compartment as electrical items which spark. It really does not make much difference what kind of battery you are using.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Sparks and chargers

Postby myjeepcherokee » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:43 am

Guy wrote:Dear Myjeepcherokee,

That is a failry dangerous thing to do, placing your battery in the same compartment as electrical items which spark. It really does not make much difference what kind of battery you are using.

The batteries are now in a battery box, and the cabinet is vented with a blower fan on one side and vent on the other. Lots of air movement when electrical is in use.
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:51 am

myjeepcherokee,

You know the most important time to ensure that you have ventilation is when you are charging the battery. That's when most of the off-gassing occurs!

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets