DC Electrical System installed Zephyr Part 2

Anything electric, AC or DC

DC Electrical System installed Zephyr Part 2

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:43 am

It has taken me more time than I thought to run all those DC circuits. but the hard part is done! Yeah. Some of you have asked for pics of the Zephyr TD electrical system. Here is as much as I have at present

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20CamperElectric.htm

The first part of the web page is AC instalation. Scroll down for the DC.

Not all the lights are hooked up, but the circuits are there. Soon I will skin the roof and start on the hatch.

Advise and suggestions for improvements always welcome.

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:21 am

Looking good there Dee Bee. Looking good.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby larryl » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:35 am

Dee Bee:

Who's inverter are you using? Does it charge the coach battery as well as run the 12v system?

Thanks

LarryL
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:38 am

LarryL,

You may be confusing terminology. An inverter changes 12VDC into 110VAC to run a single item at a time usually.

A converter would convert 110VAC to 12VDC and be used to run the 12VDC side of things and maybe also to charge the battery.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Dee Bee » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:05 am

larryl wrote:Dee Bee:

Who's inverter are you using? Does it charge the coach battery as well as run the 12v system?

Thanks

LarryL

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the post. I am using a computer power supply that I modified for use as a converter. BTW Toy pusher is right about the terminology. It is no big deal I knew what you meant, but the two terms are not technically interchangable nor are the functions. I am not planning on using any inverter. By this I mean I will not be converting any DC back to AC. I will have AC outlets, these will be powered only by shore power. So I will have to have an AC hook up when I camp. Or if I am "dry camping" I will only have DC powered by my 12 volt battery system.

I have a web site that show what I did to modify a powersupply for my use. I don't pretent to be an expert. I am not an electrician, and there may be a better way to do what I have done. . . But here is the link to see how I did what works for me....
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/12%20V%20Power%20Supply.htm

FYI this home buid coverter only produces 6 amps in 12 volts. As far as converters goes this is limited. But I am planning on only using my converter to power limited use of cabin lights which will have less than 6 amps load. This converter cannot power the entire DC system if every loan was turned on at the same time. But it works for me.

I hope this helps....

Thanks for the question.

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby larryl » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:24 am

Dee Bee:

thanks for the reply and link,

LarryL
larryl
Teardrop Master