shore power cord length?

Anything electric, AC or DC

shore power cord length?

Postby myjeepcherokee » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:19 am

I'm gearing up for my first outing, and am wondering what length my shore power cord should be to go from the power post at the campsite to the tear? I just need an average length. Also are there any other concerns that I need to be aware of when hooking up to a power pole at a campsite(ex: type of connectors on the pole, or convertors needed)?
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:32 am

20 to 25' should cover most all circumstances, but you might need an adapter to adapt a normal three prong cord to a 30 amp outlet. They are only a few bucks at the RV store.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:55 am

It really depends on the site. Some of the sites that I have seen, you would need a 50ft cord to be able to setup where you wanted too and still be able to plug in. I don't know about where you are, but here I can get 12GA 50' for about $10.00 more than the 25', so it will be the 50' for me.
toypusher
Site Admin

Re: shore power cord length?

Postby Larwyn » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:01 pm

myjeepcherokee wrote:I'm gearing up for my first outing, and am wondering what length my shore power cord should be to go from the power post at the campsite to the tear? I just need an average length. Also are there any other concerns that I need to be aware of when hooking up to a power pole at a campsite(ex: type of connectors on the pole, or convertors needed)?

Often about a foot longer than whatever you brought. I know on several occasions, camping in my 5er, I have had to use my 20 foot extension because the primary cord was a foot or less too short (20 footer). And don't forget that adapter from 30 amp rv outlet to whatever you are using. Unless of course you are using the 30 amp rv plug in which case you will find a use for an adapter from that to a 20 amp, 15 amp and just for good measure 50 amp rv plug. I sometimes share a camping spot with tenters who also want to tap into the power. That is when the 50 and 30 amp adapters would most likely come into play with a teardrop.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby myjeepcherokee » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm using a standard extension cord to hook into the outlet in the tear, so I take it I will need a 30 to 15amp adapter? Sounds like it may be a good idea to have several different adapters depending on the campground! Where can I get the adapters from, or will I have to make them?
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:38 pm

myjeepcherokee,

You state that you will use a 'standard' extension cord. Be careful, you should make sure and use a 12 Gauge extension cord to be sure that it will handle all your requirements. Most 'standard' extension cords are only 14 or even 16 gauge wire.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:20 pm

The Wal-Mart here carries adapters. Also any RV shop, and some campgrounds (although they would probably charge more for them).
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets