Mattress Question From Arkansas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mattress Question From Arkansas

Postby j_b317 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:17 pm

I mailed in my registration for the ITG last Wednesday, then when back to the shop and looked at the frame with an axle and the stained and varnished plywood and realized I have about 60 days until I hit the road! :shock:

Today I got my registration number by email and made my reservations for Minden.

I thought I'd start with the things I have to order, like the mattress. I've seen some discussion on the foam mattress you can special order in any size for campers, but I've lost the bookmark on them.

If anybody has a clue what I'm talking about, please post a link so I can get one on the way. I sure don't want to have to use an air mattress when I get to Minden!

I think this same place has the mattress pad that doubles as a heater, sort of like an electric blanket, but it goes under you. Sounds good since heat rises!

How much undersize should the mattress be to allow for the bedding? I was thinking at least an inch in both directions, but will that be enough?

One other thing, should the doors be a little below the mattress top so you don't sit on the plywood as you enter and exit? I sure don't want them as high as the Desert Teardrops template shows them.

Thanks for any help you all can pass along! :thumbsup:

jb

PS: Heard anything about a dutch oven workshop? :D
"Everybody dies but not everybody lives!"
j_b317
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:46 pm

Sorry, I can't help you out as where to find a mattress. But as for your other questions. Try and leave 1 1/2 inches each side of the mattress and the lower trim of your door opening should be no higher than half the thickness of the mattress. Hope that helps, just the way I did it and I never feel the door framing when sitting on the bed with my feet outside.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:59 am

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby lmh222 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 pm

I went into my local Joanne Fabric (a chain fabric store that we have zillions of here in New England - I'm not sure if they're nationwide) and their foam actually happened to be on sale 40% off. I got two medium density 4" thick 24" by 72" pieces for less than $60 total.

We slept on them already just to try them out and I really like the firmness. They're sitff enough that you don't sink down to the floor but soft enough to provide a comfortable sleeping surface.

My plan is to cut each one in half so that I have 4 pieces that are 24" by 36". I've convinced my mother to sew the covers for me. The top half of each cover will be cotton canvas and the bottom half will be a tough outdoor vinyl. That way, the 4 pieces can actually be brought out onto the grass or stacked inside the trailer to make different arrangements of camp furniture.

I'm sure that a simple "pillowcase" type cover would work fine too though.

This arrangement will also allow us easy access to the floor panel storage area.

Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:20 pm

JoAnnes does have the foam, but check out any of the local quilting/fabric stores in you area for fabrics for your curtains, tablecloths, napkins etc.... Most of us are mom and pop operations, or in my case brother and sister. The smaller shops will have fabrics that the large chains don't carry. I just sold out on 30 yards of fabric with old woody cars with a camping theme, and there was a tear on it BTW, I can't get any more of it. There is also a newer one, vintage 1970 campers on it coming out this spring/summer. I won't plug my store here as most of you are miles away and the forum isn't for that, but for different fabrics to complete a theme, check out the smaller stores, there's great stuff out there. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:08 am

JB
We just got our mattresses from Knox foam and there great. We had to get 4 peices because of the way the Warrior is made but the foam and covers for them were $370. Not the cheapest but they did all the work on the covers and we ain't got a sewing machine that works anymore so it was worth it.
Where in Arkansas are you located. We are hopeing to give the Warrior a shake down run south before Minden. Will be heading south in mid May. Might drop by to se your tear.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mexican tear » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:44 am

I made my mattress myself too

I think if you look around and find the foam, it will be a lot cheaper. Use an electric knife to cut to the size you need.

I am lucky enough to have a sewing machine to sew heavy fabric, but I do not think that it is absolutly necessary. Choose a fabric that your machine will hankle and do not get to fancy.

Find a local upolstry shop and ask them where they buy their foam or have them get it for you. Just make sure that you do not get the foam for cussions, it is to firm.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby j_b317 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the answers! :applause:

My mom does a lot of upholstery and sewing, I'll see what I can talk her into. I really like the idea of vinyl on one side so you can take them outside and not worry. I put a possum belly under my floor too, so I may have to see about the multiple sections.

Thanks again for all the advice.

See you in Minden! I may be sleeping under the frame with a blue tarp stretched over it, but I'll be there! 8)

jb
"Everybody dies but not everybody lives!"
j_b317
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mexican tear » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Unfortunatly I did not read this post until after I had made the the cover.

Well, now I have remade the cover and cut three inches off the width. My wife said it would be impossible to make the bed if the matress was jammed up against the sides. So now we are ready to sleep.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby kurtibm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:33 pm

This Queen mattress seems reasonably priced (not inexpensive, just reasonable) FREE SHIPPING, too..
5" dual density foam/memory foam with a quilted cover.
I have inquired of them as to whether they'd make up a 46"w x 72" one - they said that they would quote me soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Memory-Foam-Queen-Sofa-Sleep-Mattress-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ4440763796QQcategoryZ115765QQcmdZViewItem
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:57 pm

kurtibm wrote:This Queen mattress seems reasonably priced (not inexpensive, just reasonable) FREE SHIPPING, too..
I have inquired of them as to whether they'd make up a 46"w x 72" one - they said that they would quote me soon.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Memory-Foam-Queen-Sofa-Sleep-Mattress-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ4440763796QQcategoryZ115765QQcmdZViewItem

Can you bend or roll it in half so you can get it thru a teardrop door?

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Gage wrote:
kurtibm wrote:This Queen mattress seems reasonably priced (not inexpensive, just reasonable) FREE SHIPPING, too..

Can you bend or roll it in half so you can get it thru a teardrop door?

Have a good day.

8)

Depends how fast you get it going before you shoot the opening, I suppose..... :lol:

I have asked them how small a roll it makes & they said that they'd answer with my quote on the 46 x 72.

kurt
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:19 am

I've posted this link before. If it isn't in the resource links, it should be (hint, hint). http://www.foamproducts.net/ in Tarpon Springs, FL, for the most part, is cheaper than Knox Foam. It's where I'll order my cushions/mattress for my TTT and I can drive them to pick them up and do some sight seeing at the same time as my wife has never been to TS. They will make custom cushions if you want, with different foams. They offered to make one for me of 4" high density (for sitting) with 2" of memory foam laminated (for sleeping comfort). But, I opted to just get the 4" or 5" foam cushions and buy a 2" memory foam topper for it to span the "joints" in the cushions. I'll just roll up the topper when it's in couch mode.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:55 am

The qoute I received is for a custom made 46" x 72" - 5" thick dual density ( 3" foam/2" memory foam) with quilted cover. The mattress set up to tri-fold. This allows easy ingress/egress of the mattress and also opens up basement and inside seating possibilities. Rate is $185.99 including shipping in the lower 48.

kurt
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 am

If you live near Fort Smith, AR you might call Hickory Springs. They make foam buns for industry used in beds. I do not know if they sell to the public at all any more. I called about 10 years ago ( I know a long time back ) for a unusal size daybed foam chusions they gave me a reasonable price. :thinking:
Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion