another design

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

another design

Postby kid_kaboom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm

recently I submitted a design for a modified weekender but I got more feedback on the trailer that I was using than the design. Yesterday was the 1st snow day in almost 20 years and we lucked out and got a 2nd one today. I decided to try designing a more traditional teardrop to see if I can get your opinions.

This will be it all closed up.

The rear cabinet drops down to become a table if it starts raining on your trip. The pads (bed) can be moved out of the way to make room.

Here is the hatch open

and here is what I was planning on doing for the wall framing. 3/4 ply which can be filled in with rigid insulation.

If you get a chance let me know what you think of this design,
thanks
Keith
kid_kaboom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Keith,

You're gonna hit your head on the top of the doorway... otherwise, I like it!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby kid_kaboom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:00 pm

just out of curiosity, how high are most doorways? this one is 36" high by 30" wide.

I'm still pretty new to this so any help you guys give in the design phase will keep me from making too many mistakes when I build.

thanks again!

Keith
kid_kaboom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:22 pm

I think the optimal doorway comes down 3" from the roof line.

The part of the doorway where you are going to stick your head in the most often is opposite the hinge, and that is where you make the doorway the lowest.

If you offset the roofline 3" and make that the top of the doorway, I think you've gone a long way to avoid knocking yourself out.

To answer you question... I think many doorways are 24 to 30" wide and as high as you can make them.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dhazard » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:32 am

To make the fold down table more functional you might want to add a foot well.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:00 pm

How you planning to connect the fenders?

I like all the cabinets in the front, but was thinking it would be hard to store some bulky items up there. Meaning I might suggest a larger front door for things like extra sleeping bags, you know, all the tuperware

John :thumbsup:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby kid_kaboom » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:07 pm

So I took Mike's advice and made the door a lot bigger. I actually like it this way so thanks for that suggestion.

As for the table, I hadn't planned on using it all the time because I like being outside. I will probably only use it if it is a downpour outside or the mosquitoes get really bad. I do like the idea of a foot well to put chairs into to get a few more inches out of the design.

As for the fenders I don't know. Some pictures I saw looked like they mounted the fenders to the frame and then built a wood frame around them to dress them up. I kinda like that idea.

I am thinking about building this trailer using a nice plywood exterior and using fiberglass to cover it so I can see the wood grain. My major is construction management so wood really holds a special place in my heart.

I had originally just been planning on using the front cabinets for storage, but now you got me thinking about making the openings bigger. Maybe I'll just put in 3 shelves instead of 4 to get more storage space out of them. I'll work on modeling that up after the superbowl today.

Thanks for the ideas and advice everyone.

Keith
kid_kaboom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:21 pm

You're on a roll now...

So model up the fender idea you have, and let us see it! ;) :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby prohandyman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Kind of like a modified Diner!?! :thumbsup:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TinKicker » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 pm

kid, what are you using to illustrate these plans? I like the appearance of it.
I also like the modular space-frame type design you've got going there. That will of course be much lighter than a solid sheet of ply, and to be honest, it looks cool.
What are you using for the roof skin? What type of bed padding is that, and what's your source for it? Good luck, and post some more stuff! :thumbsup:
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:11 am

That looks like Sketchup, the free CAD program from google...

http://sketchup.google.com/

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 am

Nice looking design...What are the dimensions?
I had ideas of doing something like that with the interior but when I started building and saw how small that area was I changed my mind about having foldable cushions, table, etc. On my 4X8 that is 4ft high there just isn't enough headroom to make it practical to move around much.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby TinKicker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah, I had downloaded Sketchup a week ago and hadn't had time to mess around with it. After I saw kid's design I installed Sketchup and realized what you just told me Mike. If I can figure out (when I get time) how to upload my pictures, I'll post my first attempt at a double bunk 12 footer. Or at least the unfinished portion I have so far. I think I've found my creative medium though. Sketchup is really easy to make good looking stuff with.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

long time

Postby kid_kaboom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:33 pm

here is to reviving dead posts...sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. college graduation then army life got pretty busy. anyway, it looks like I will have a little over a year to refine the design before I get the opportunity to get started on a build. thanks for everyone's advice and hopefully we will get to meet up once it is done.

I am planning on either 5x9 or 5x10. I don't really have a preference just whatever is going to fit the best. i may go a little taller than 4' for the walls. i always appreciate extra headroom, but I will have to get back to you on that.

I really like the look of the cedar strip tears that people have made. they are beyond gorgeous.

i use sketchup as was mentioned by one of the other members.

thanks for all the great ideas and inspiration that you all have shared
kid_kaboom
Teardrop Inspector

Re: long time

Postby Stephen M (Ethesis) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm

kid_kaboom wrote:here is to reviving dead posts...sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. college graduation then army life got pretty busy. anyway, it looks like I will have a little over a year to refine the design before I get the opportunity to get started on a build. thanks for everyone's advice and hopefully we will get to meet up once it is done.

I am planning on either 5x9 or 5x10. I don't really have a preference just whatever is going to fit the best. i may go a little taller than 4' for the walls. i always appreciate extra headroom, but I will have to get back to you on that.

I really like the look of the cedar strip tears that people have made. they are beyond gorgeous.

i use sketchup as was mentioned by one of the other members.

thanks for all the great ideas and inspiration that you all have shared

I'm glad you are still working on it, and that you revived the thread.
Stephen M (Ethesis)
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Traditional Designs