I learned to first drive in a...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

I first learned to drive in a

car....... stick 3 on the tree
17%
truck ... stick 3 on the tree
12%
car or truck ... stick 4 on the floor
26%
car or truck ... stick 5 or more on the floor
5%
a farm tractor
15%
in the water driving a motor boat with a steering wheel
3%
car or truck ... with a Automatic
23%

Total votes : 235

Postby airnos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 pm

I learned to drive in a land boat ('77 Dodge Aspen "Special Edition" Station Wagon) but I'm pretty sure that qualifies as an automatic car so that's how I answered. I was twelve -- my parents started teaching me as soon as I could reach the pedals. We lived in a rural area and it was very possible that, if something happened to one parent while the other one wasn't at home, I'd need to drive them out.

Incidentally, I was not twelve in 1977.

Said car was supposed to have been my first car when I officially began driving at sixteen, but it was totaled when I was fifteen...it had been parked on a street, with the parking brake engaged, when a Mazda half-ton hit it. This happened on a clear morning in a 35 mph zone. The car ended up halfway down the next block, half its original length. The other driver claimed he was doing 35 and never saw the burgundy car.

Riiiiiiiight. The insurance company paid off the claim and dropped him. And I was deprived of what would have been a kick-tail car for teardropping....
Catherine: Teardropper Wannabe
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be spectacular."
airnos
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clkelley564 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 pm

I actually learned to drive in a humongous Montego station wagon, automatic, but before I could get my license I had to learn how to drive a 71 Ford Maverick with 3 on the tree. Also had to change the oil myself and change a tire myself.

Carol
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:46 pm

clkelley564 wrote:.... a 71 Ford Maverick with 3 on the tree.

Carol

That was about the 3rd car I ever owned. Poor thing was never the same again after I got done with it!!
A V-8 and a 4 speed will really set one of those to rockin'!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jplock » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:20 pm

I learned to drive in a 1965 Chevelle 230 Cubic Inch 6 cylinder with a power glide transmission, and rats I traded it in on a 1972 Chevy Vega Oil burner!
jplock
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby deputydogrick » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:19 pm

international scout, three on the tree I was 14 working for a motel, owner thought I was 16 and had my license, only ran over 1 flower bed. :)
Keep it fun, Move at your own pace, Don't get hurt
"Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think!" Joel Volk
You should never meddle with dragons...............for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
deputydogrick
Lifetime member

Postby cs_whypt2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:24 pm

My first truck was a '93 Dodge Dakota. The guy I bought it from set it up for racing. (Truck for racing? I know...but it was quick...) The transmission was going, so I sold it. I then bought myself a '96 Dakota which I have now. (Big difference, right?) Anyways, I like this one better.
I opted for a bigger engine and a bigger cab, and I get better gas milage in the '96 then in the '93.

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:31 am

asianflava wrote:It was either a 59 or 60 beetle. Old but not old enough for an oval window.

My first was a 64 Beetle, but I delivered pizzas in a 57 Oval while in High School. Odie has a 56 Oval in pieces in my shop, waiting (like the rest of my projects) for me to get around to finishing it. :oops:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:27 pm

'64 Studebaker Commander 6-cyl 3-speed standard, on a farm in Missouri, when I was tall enough to reach the pedals from the seat.

Major upgrade: '68 Chevy pickup with a 6-cyl and automatic on the column -- I'd been driving about a year when Dad bought that, but we hadn't had it six months when he was injured and lost his job. Mom drove a '58 Chevy Apache pickup for several years after that shiny new truck was repossessed -- the Apache had Armstrong steering and not-power brakes, and the clutch was bad, so I didn't drive it.

I drove Dad's '65 Dodge pickup hauling hay to the barn and feed to the cows from '71 to '80, but officially I "learned" to drive in a '75 Monte Carlo automatic at school in 1976.

The car I wish I could have driven that my parents had?
Dad's "Showroom Stock" '68 Plymouth -- it was a 4-door version of a Road Runner, and it would move; it was totaled in '75 when some uninsured nimrod ran a red light and plowed into the front on the passenger side.

It was 1985 before I owned a vehicle with seat belts in it, and 1989 before I started using them regularly.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby airnos » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm

I still don't wear seatbelts when I'm in the back of a car. Even in those jurisdictions where it's required, I figure, I'm over sixteen, so it's my ticket.

But I've been hurt in wrecks for not wearing seatbelts in the front seat, so yeah, I'm an old fuddy duddy and do that.
Catherine: Teardropper Wannabe
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be spectacular."
airnos
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm

I learned on a 1956 Ford F250, 3 on the Tree.

I never hit a fence...but I did drive it into the kitchen wall.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

out of fear

Postby James Ellington » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I guess it was different for me. I was late for a date and jumped into my brothers pinto and just took off. Didn't hit me until after I got home that it was my first time behind the wheel of a car. So fear does conquer all and stupidity makes you blind.
Remember that the toe's you step on today could well be attached to legs that support the As* you need to kiss tomorrow!
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tddriver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 pm

I learned on a 1948 Chevy dump truck with 4 on the floor and a two speed electric shift axle. Started in a gravel pit and worked up to driving on the street. My first car was a 1961 Chevy Biscayne, auto 6 cylinder (only because it had enough room in the trunk for the guitar and amps, etc.) Then came a 1962 Corvair Monza convertible, 4 speed and many add on toys. Loved that car!!!
8)
Dave
Last edited by tddriver on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Is it time to camp yet?

tddriver
Teardrop Master

Postby ChickenFoot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 pm

My first drive was in a Case 3500 tractor pulling hay wagons (to small at that time to buck hay, but big enough to drive the tractor), I guess I was 10 maybe 11 years old. Then it was the old man's 1 ton ford pick-up taking trash to local dump and then Mama to the store every Saturday morning. Dam that was a while back.
ChickenFoot
Teardrop Builder

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Dad didn't waste any time getting us boys to working on the farm in Tennessee. I learned to drive a Farmall tractor when I was thirteen-also drove trucks on the farm. The first car I drove on the road was a huge Buick, 59 Electra I seem to remember, when I was sixteen. The first time I had it on the road, I was sure there wasn't any room for any other car. As someone said ; You didn't park it , you docked it. Those were the days!
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby coreyjhen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 am

1962 Rambler Cross Country station wagon with a 232 cid straight six and a three-on-the-tree with overdrive. I got it for free from my uncle who was tired of rebuilding the engine (three times in 56K miles). The only good thing about that car was that the seats folded flat, leaving an absolutely flat surface from the tailgate to the dashboard. Good idea to give a 16 year old boy a car with a built-in bed... :twisted:
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls