Does this sound safe?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 pm

Just get that guy to breathe in your TD & you won't need a heater :lol: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby moto403 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:20 pm

We used a 120v ceramic heater on our trip up the north shore last weeekend and it worked fantastic. temps were down in the 30's at night and we barely had the temp turned up. But we also had the use of power at the campground. We would need a generator otherwise.

Felix
moto403
Teardrop Builder

Postby ob1canola » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Living in vt we are no stranger to cold weather camping.
My wife and I backpacked up to a shelter on the long trail(like the AT but only the length of VT) On xmas eve and spent the night . 19 degrees all night.
water was poured out of camelbacks into pans to thaw out the next morning.
My take on it is good winter sleeping bags and liners.Go to bed late and get up early. Propane in a teardrop... just an accident waiting to happen.
Try one of these.
http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-heat ... eets-1.htm
ob1canola
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:41 am

My TD is wired for electricity so I plan on using an electric blanket or a heated mattress pad. Before I got my TD and was still tent camping, I used my electric lap blanket inside my sleeping bag to heat up the sheets and pillow and it did a great job. It is not bulky like the normal sized elec. blankets but it is also not big enough to heat up space for 2 campers.

I do have a small propane heater like the one spoken about and I did use that in my tent (it's a big 14x14 cabin tent) but when I accidently knocked it over and it hit the tent floor, it burnt a hole in it and that was a fast lesson learned. It's not worth the danger.

I also have 2 king sized 20 deg. sleeping bags in case the quilt and blanket don't do the job. I live in Florida...I doubt it will ever get that cold. Darn!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Sorry to bring up an older thread but this is a heater I installed in my tear.
You have to have electricity but this unit takes up very little space as it mounts to a wall. I have had the 24 X 24 (400 watt) unit in a bathroom in our house for two years. Heats the room very well but is not hot enough to create a fire hazard. I was able to purchase for the tear an 18 X 24 smaller unit. It is rated at 285 watts and works great. The heat is very soft and not dry. The panel looks and feels similar to 1/4 inch masonite. I do not think the smaller unit is available in the U S now. It has no fan so it takes about 30 minutes to warm the inside of a tear with a temp starting around 34 degrees. Safe to Touch -Non combustible-no tipping hazard-no exposed elements-no fan-safe for children, pets,-no off-gasses or odors-safe for dry eyes. Check it out.
www.eheat.com/
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks Larry for the heater Idea. It looks great. I read the information and the is no mention of a thermostat or heat setting on the panel. I assume the you could use a line side thermostat to control on and off of the heat to regulate the amount of heat the panel makes. I think I will get one of these panels to try out in the trailer ( maybe one or two would all that would be needed for a 4' x 8' trailer).
:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Hey

Run a couple of big trolling motor batteries, a 1500-2500 watt inverter and then use a 1500W ceramic heater, some even have thermostat control. Your useage may be limited by your batteries and when/how often you recharge. I use one in the back of my Suburban and it was good down in the 30's.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:24 am

High Pat

I have the smaller of the two panels. My trailer is 5 X 10 and the smaller unit is more than enough. I do have a plug in thermostat for the house. Did not use one in the trailer but I will in the future as we had to turn off the panel half way through the night. The outside temp dropped to 28 that night. We turn our whole house heat down to 62 at night. Our bathroom is 9 X 12 and if you leave the door closed the 24 X 24 unit will keep the bathroom around 78 when the rest of the house is 66. In my opinion, you will only need one unit for any trailer. You can see my unit at Beavers Bend.
The U S distributor does not carry the 18 X 24 - 285 watt panel any longer. Only the 24 X 24 - 400 watt panel which is what I use in the house.
Said they would have to purchase a container load of the smaller units from the manufacturer and the 24 X 24 out sells by 10 to 1.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

heater

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:33 am

Larry:

Where did you find the smaller one? That sounds like a great idea for a permanent or semi permanent heater. I don't know where I would find the room in my tear to hang it...honestly, the ceiling is the only place I would have enough room.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:41 am

High Pat

I have the smaller of the two panels. My trailer is 5 X 10 and the smaller unit is more than enough. I do have a plug in thermostat for the house. Did not use one in the trailer but I will in the future as we had to turn off the panel half way through the night. The outside temp dropped to 28 that night. We turn our whole house heat down to 62 at night. Our bathroom is 9 X 12 and if you leave the door closed the 24 X 24 unit will keep the bathroom around 78 when the rest of the house is 66. In my opinion, you will only need one unit for any trailer. You can see my unit at Beavers Bend.
The U S distributor does not carry the 18 X 24 - 285 watt panel any longer. Only the 24 X 24 - 400 watt panel which is what I use in the house.
Said they would have to purchase a container load of the smaller units from the manufacturer and the 24 X 24 out sells by 10 to 1.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:53 am

High Becca
I ordered the smaller unit from the Canadian Distributor off the internet. I think I got the last two he had. My mattress ends 3 inches from the wall and I hung my unit there. It is recommended to place the unit close to the floor but in a small tear with the low ceiling it should work anywhere. The theory of the unit is it draws by convection the colder air from the floor and warms it. My wife absolutely loves the unit in our bathroom.
www.econo-heat.ca/ Canada distributor www.eheat.com/ U S distributor
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

heater

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks Larry...I emailed the Canadian distributor to get a heads up if he ever comes across a small one. The 24"x24" would be too big for my tear.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets