"New" Tent

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

"New" Tent

Postby agileaction » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Haven't seen anyone mention these, so thought I'd toss it out.

I show my dogs at agility trials in the Pacific Northwest. We show nearly year 'round. We, as a dog showing community, use all manner of shade/rain covers, from the EZ Up, to the Caravan, to the Quik Shade, and just about everything in between.

Well, I ran into the Springbar at a show last summer, and to say I was impressed was putting it mildly.

This particular canopy stood up to some SERIOUS wind when some of the EZ Up and Quik Shade models were not just damaged in the wind storm that blew through in the middle of the night, but completely pulled off their legs, with canopy fabric in surrounding trees, and on surrounding roofs, etc.

I asked the owners of the Springbar where they got it, and they pointed me to the website. They also showed me how they put it up, and it goes up SUPER nice. Lay it out, stake down the corners, and one person can put in/push up the uprights. Once up, that baby isn't moving.

It's not lightweight at just under 50 lbs., but it's got some super nice features. All four 'doors' can be screened in, completely covered, or completely open. With a 10x14 footprint, I have to think a small TD would fit under it. Want privacy? Drop all sides completely. Want fresh air, but a bug barrier, raise the fabric sides to expose the screens. Want complete access to the outside? Raise fabric and screens, and viola, you're set.

The roof it made of silicone treated duck canvas, and it does stay dry, even in some heavy rain, though I think some seepage may occur in long periods of heavy downpours.

The price is steep, but having lost more than a few $200 canopy models to wind over the past couple of years, I'm ready to make the investment in something a little more sturdy.

We're getting one. They will work great for shade/rain cover when showing the dogs, and when our TD is ready to hit the road, we'll get one for that, too.

The site is: http://www.springbar.com/explore/canopi ... ouses.html

I thought others might be interested, too.
agileaction
Donating Member

Postby agileaction » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Here's a link to the 'how to set-up a Springbar' page, if anyone is interested. They go up very, very easy. Staking the corners takes the longest.

http://www.springbar.com/a/pdf/tentsetup.pdf
agileaction
Donating Member

Postby GregB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:09 pm

The Springbar factory is literally a block away from where I work. After haunting the place for months, I have finally purchased one of their 10x14 tents, this year. I haven't found any other tent that compares with the Springbar, especially in the wind. Google the tent and you'll find countless stories of how easy they are to put up and how they shed the wind when other tents fail. Earlier this year, we got caught in a torrential downpour in the High Uintas and the tent came through it perfectly. One thing I like is the white roof; it breathes well and is brighter during overcast days.

I've been planning on getting a screenhouse to go with the tear. Truly, it is the Rolls Royce of tents. BTW, they've been around forever.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby agileaction » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:02 pm

YI've heard the condensation issue experienced with nylon tents is next to non existent in the Springbars as well. Looking forward to using ours this coming year at the dog shows, and, eventually, with the TD.

Nice to hear another great report.

I was surprised no one on this forum mentioned them being used in conjunction with their TD, which is why I posted it in the first place.

Leslie
agileaction
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:52 pm

There is another company -- Kodiak -- now making what are apparently Springbar clones. Some key Springbar patent(s) expired.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

[url]Image[/url]
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:58 am

68 lbs!
That dude is hefty.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GregB » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:19 am

They do weigh a ton. One of the reasons is the thickness of the double-walled steel and aluminum poles; these things are really solid! Hiker chick, I've had a chance to study the Kodiak as well, they have one or two innovations over the Springbar (such as a vent at the top of the ridgeline) but I wasn't convinced that they were as sturdily made. Still, YMMV. One item that continues to impress me is the attention to detail that Springbar puts into their tents. Any tent that is staked out at the bottom and under vertical tension, experiences enormous pressure at the stakeout points and the peaks. In my experience, the loops are often the first point of failure under normal use. The Springbar tents are reinforced with wire that is sewn in to the edge of the tent and the loop. They are incredibly strong. The floor material is also PVC coated and very heavy duty. Can you tell that I'm impressed with the tent? :lol:

Sales pitch over, I yield the soapbox to any and all. I have no affiliation with Springbar, yada, yada. I think my problem is, that I've arrived at an age where I'm tired of buying and using items that are "good enough" and then finding out that they really aren't. When I come across something that is, ahem, outstanding in it's field, I get a bit excited about it.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby agileaction » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:45 am

GB I appreciate all the information.

I have been showing dogs in agility for going on 10 years now. Shade at a show is imperative. The dogs can't stay cool in the summer without it. Given that I show with upwards of 300 other dogs and their owners, I've seen a lot of shade canopies come and go. None of them are cheap.

It's not uncommon for someone to spout off on the first day of the show about the 'deal' they got on their new canopy, and to find that very canopy in shambles the next day because the wind kicked up and the 'deal' wasn't such a deal any longer.

I have been through 3 different canopies (Quik Shade, EZ Up and Caravan), and none of them were less than $200 for the size we need. The Quik Shade did okay until we had a *real* wind storm, then the poles bent to the point it wasn't so "Quik" to put up any more. Same thing with the EZ Up. The Caravan structure did pretty well in the wind, but the fabric top finally got enough tears/seam stretching from slapping the structure in the wind, it finally gave way. $700 in canopies later, I'm ready for something that will hold up to the tougher wind and rain. I think the Springbar screen house will suit my needs quite well.

And, when the TD hits the road, tossing two of them inside for a trip to a show will be no problem. The tow vehicle can handle much more weight than we'll be towing, so adding two 47 lbs. canopies inside should be negligible in terms of towing weight. To me, it's worth it not to have to keep buying yet another canopy that may or may not live up to it's manufacturer's promises.

Why do we need two, you may ask? Well, one ringside at the dog show, and one over the TD in the camping area. A girl can never have enough toys!

Leslie
agileaction
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:05 am

I'm looking at sunshade options for the teardrop. An even bigger concern where we'll be camping this spring is keeping the tree sap off. I know Springbar is highly regarded and this model below intrigues. I'd only want something very sturdy over the teardrop since it will surely have to ride out some severe thunderstorms and high winds.

Anyone have experience with this Springbar?

Springbar® 811K Leisure Port Canopy

What's not clear to me is whether the 9'x9' dimension cited on the website refers to the framing or the furthest points at which the wings extend. My teardrop's body is 6' wide, the fenders make it a bit over 8'.

http://www.springbar.com/explore/can...isureport.html

Made of 100% cotton duck, this super strong canopy is able to stand up to the elements while being extremely easy to set up — requiring only 4 stakes! Two of the four sides may be pitched out vertically for additional shade coverage, using an optional canopy pole and guy rope.

[url]Image[/url]
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 am

Wow, I need to get my awning rig out and weigh it. Right now I'm using an elcheap-o blue awning w/center gromet. But I upgraded all the lines and poles from campmore.

I stake out three corners and start putting up guide lines and poles until I'm done. In all it takes about 30 mins.

I would really like something faster but for me the weight is just such a bear to deal with.

This stuff looks pretty good.....Thanks

mc
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

regarding Springbar

Postby Platbiker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm

......Adding my two cents on the Springbar issue...I have a group of aging hiking buddies who SCOUR Salt Lake City yard sales for the 1970's era nylon Springbar hiking model...it's heavy compared to modern backpacking tents , yes- but these guys love them for the tents ABSOLUTE reliability....they are truly a class act....
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion