Need a simple cheap heater

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby 48Rob » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Len,

If the test was "constant use" as in with the blower on constantly, then it would run the battery down pretty fast!

Normal on time with my forced air furnace is at most 15-20 minutes per hour at around 2 Amps.
With my 50 Amp hour capacity, I can make the weekend with 2 days to spare.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:53 pm

r.e. the dog... well, not exactly...

len19070 wrote:
Thats why ya got a new dog. :lol:

I figure we'll draw about 6 amps a night... so we could be good for 5 nights... but we only plan on camping 2 or 3 nights max, so we can use the remaining juice for something else... 8)
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby len19070 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Rob

We did it using a Suburban NT30SP furnace It drew 5.5 amps and was set at 70 degrees....in a big room.

We left the battery outside over night about 18-19 degrees. And ran the furnace inside and the battery outside.

This was more a Battery test than a furnace test.

I know it was cycling but how often I don't know.

But the bottom line on this test showed that it cut off a long time before the amp draw formula said it would.

Our conclusion was that it was the cold battery.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Trackstriper » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Here is an interesting link that has some heaters that I haven't heard discussed before on this forum.

http://urbanvandweller.blogspot.com/2008/02/keeping-warm-part-two.html
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby doitright » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Lots of heaters with a little about each brand and many other ways to get warmed up :shock: Boy your just never know where you can get good information. :oops: Or where on the internet you may end up in a click.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Geron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:20 am

Trackstriper wrote:Here is an interesting link that has some heaters that I haven't heard discussed before on this forum.

http://urbanvandweller.blogspot.com/2008/02/keeping-warm-part-two.html

Bruce,

That Force 10 Cabin Heater looks like the winner to me. Size, Thermocouple, Low O2 shutoff, vented, but it ain't cheap at 400 - 500 dollars.
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jje507 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 am

I agree with Len, the best heater is another warm body!
:D
jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:37 pm

jje507 wrote:I agree with Len, the best heater is another warm body!

Yea but in the topic he said he wanted a "simple cheap heater". 99% of the warm bodies I know are NOT simple OR cheap! :?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jester » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:46 am

jje507 wrote:I agree with Len, the best heater is another warm body!

Since my nephew is only 18 and just graduating from high school I think I may encourage the use of sleeping bags, hot water bottles etc.. At his age the use of "a warm body" may lead to the creation of another very small warm body! :oops: The tear is not equipped for additional "small campers"! Now, I will be happy to help him "add on" to it for the accomodation of such little persons in let's say.........6-8 years!! :worship:
If it needs waxed OR pays to be waxed....It's gonna be trouble!!
Jester
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 48Rob » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Good thinking!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kirkman » Sat May 10, 2008 8:22 am

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alffink » Sun May 11, 2008 1:52 am

Good Choice Kirkman,

This will heat underyou, so you will get the warmth, where an electric blanket will direct much of it's heat away from you, and with an area heater you are trying to heat the entire tear, now the area of a tear is quite abit smaller than most other spaces that you would be sleeping in but, the more heat that is directed to where you want to be heated, in this case you, now the area around you will warm up abit, but that will be secondary, your sleeping area is warm and now your part of it.

I like it, Larry Sorenson of the 4x4 teardrop, has used one of these for years, camping in the Mojave Desert all year round, and for those that don't camp in the desert in the winter, it is cooolllddd, our dark-sky site in S. CA desert regurally gets below freezing and not uncomon to be into single digits, now I know that it's that cold and lower in many parts of the country, but how often do you camp in it???
alffink
Donating Member

Postby tddriver » Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 am

Has anyone ever considered one of these for warming up a teardrop?

http://www.eheat.com/

Seems that they might have some advantages if you have "shore power". Plug it in maybe a half hour before bedtime and it seems like it should be able to warm up a small area, such as a teardrop. Don't know about efficiency.
Dave

Is it time to camp yet?

tddriver
Teardrop Master

Postby starwars » Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 pm

I have been wondering if a water heating system might work. You have a campfire, so put a coil of tubing in the fire and pump water to a car heater core inside the teardrop.
starwars
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cupcake » Sun May 11, 2008 8:03 pm

tddriver wrote:Has anyone ever considered one of these for warming up a teardrop?

http://www.eheat.com/

Seems that they might have some advantages if you have "shore power". Plug it in maybe a half hour before bedtime and it seems like it should be able to warm up a small area, such as a teardrop. Don't know about efficiency.

It should heat just fine. Efficiency of electric heat is darn near 100%. It usually costs more than natural gas and propane at the home, but if you're paying for a camping spot with shore power then you're all set. (I'm a licensed Heating and Cooling Guy). I didn't look hard enough to see if it came with a thermostat, you'll overheat at times if it doesn't.
Cupcake
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets