Lions, Tigars, and Bears Oh My

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How prepared are you

I will deal with it when it happens
25%
We got it covered
57%
we took a firstaid class and have min. supplies for such
7%
Thanks we will look into some of that
5%
I don't even want to think about it.....
7%

Total votes : 44

Lions, Tigars, and Bears Oh My

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Could not resist using A classic Wizard of Oz line.

So How have you protected against the dangers of the out of doors.

Do you check to see what wildlife is found where you go or just look for the warnings when you get there.

Do any of you have Bear safe food carriers.

any adventures you wish to share for others to be aware of or what not to do? :oops:

On my first camp out with our Box Kite it was Racoons herds of them they even got into a van and stole buffalo meat we used Pinesol to keep them from getting to close but for some the smell of food was just to temping for mother racoons with babies. In Los Osos (which means Valley of the Bears) we have mountain lions, bob cats, Coyotes, skunk, fox, and so on.

I just washed a segment on African Killer Bees now up to San Fransisco you most run 1100 feet before they will loose interest. they are attracted to carbindioxide, and attracted dark areas.

this is not ment to scare anyone away from camping but it dose help to be prepared. In all my years of camping I have not found myself in danger, But I do like being prepaired.

do you carry a fire extinguisher, firstaid kit, first aid book, bee sting or snake bite or poison oak or poison Ivy kit (depending on where you live), Medical emergancy links on your computer if you use the net.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:58 am

One of the places I camp 4 or 5 times a year the bears are in the camp ground every night between 11:00pm and 1:00am. They are a real nuisance. Mostly because most of the campers don't believe the bear signs. I have only had a problem with them once. I had a young bore come over to the diner table to try and eat my diner with me standing right there. I had to spray him with bear spray. Boy does that stuff work great he lit out of there like a shot. He must have bin going at 30 mph.... I did learned after you spray a bear if the spray gets on any of your camping gear it is almost impossible to wash off at the camp ground and even after you have washed it all off and washed your hands several times don't touch your eyes, or you will know what that bear felt. :cry:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bgordon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:14 am

Hi,

My advice: don't get caught behind an angry elephant who does not want you to leave the park before closing time!

Oh yes, I remember, you guys don't have to worry about that in the US... :lol: :R ;) ;)

And oh yes, DON'T sit behind a wild cheetah unless you know it's been reared in captivity, and the handler is close-by (see my avatar photo). ;)
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby cs_whypt2 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I have not thought much about it. I wouldn't be ready at all.
Maybe I should think about that... :oops:

Dianne
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat May 03, 2008 10:33 pm

cs_whypt2 wrote:I have not thought much about it. I wouldn't be ready at all.

Dianne

From the looks of your avatar I'd say your ready for anything. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby cs_whypt2 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:34 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
cs_whypt2 wrote:I have not thought much about it. I wouldn't be ready at all.

Dianne

From the looks of your avatar I'd say your ready for anything. :D Danny

:twisted: :thumbsup:
:wine:
cs_whypt2
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon May 05, 2008 9:23 am

I am prepared for just about anything...except bear, cougar and elephants. But, I don't EVER plan on camping in or near any State that has any of the above mentioned beast, not even close to a zoo. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon May 12, 2008 1:48 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:I am prepared for just about anything...except bear, cougar and elephants. But, I don't EVER plan on camping in or near any State that has any of the above mentioned beast, not even close to a zoo. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.

But... but ... you have ALAGATORS :shock: we don't have those!!
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon May 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Gators don't bother me...well, not too much anyway. I just don't swim in their soup bowl anymore.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 am

I know there are black bears, bob cats, cougars and the occasional coyote that have been spoted on the outskirts of Albuquerque. So I guess I would run into them while camping. Accually running into a bear is one thing I am terrifyed of so maybe I should get this spray that everyone is taking about. I just mostly keep the food away from where we are sleeping. The only thing I have to really have deal with at Fenton lake(pond) is the evil chipmunks. Sure they look cute an cuddley but they just love to eat them sum fingers. How do I know uhhhhh.

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:36 pm

Mandy I did you find something? I hear the Pepper spay of a type is offered for Bears.

And for those who would like to see and know why not to leave food out over night where wild animals can smell it.

http://www.retrorestoration.com/59shasta-2.htm

Just be careful and know what animals are near your campsite. Bears for the most part stay away from people but in areas where they think they are cute and feed them there is a problem.

At Shasta gathering we met a couple who showed proof from an previous camp out, who's cooler was broken into by a bear and then it walked off with the container of dog food and left some for the dog. That container was as there so show others what they can do.

This is not ment to scare you but simply educate you and ask rangers about such when camping. The more the people around you the less likely. Put pets inside too.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby rxc463 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:10 am

If you are venturing into the realm of wild animals don't forget the cast iron pots and assorted seasonings :thumbsup:
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 pm

rxc463 wrote:If you are venturing into the realm of wild animals don't forget the cast iron pots and assorted seasonings :thumbsup:

ummmm! Bear stew ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 pm

I try to be prepared, but realized after reading this poll that I do not have a small fire extinguisher in either my car or teardrop. I do have a first aid kit in the car and one in the tear. I also have a small container in my car that has a poncho, survival blanket, fix-a-flat, small tools, small air compressor to air up a tire, rope, bungees, duct tape, WD40, hunter orange vests, mosquito repellent, and other stuff.

Most of this I gathered because of geocaching/hiking adventures and having had some kind of problem while on the road. I got finished with a tennis game not too long ago, and came out to find an almost flat tire. I hooked up the compressor, aired up the tire, and drove to a gas station to get a very small nail removed and plugged.

If I am camping out of state, I do check to see if bears are going to be an issue. Otherwise, I don't worry too much about other wildlife.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Well let's see...
No tigers in California.
Bears... Just black bear, no brown.
Of all the black bear encounters I've had, most were very short as the bears split as soon as they seen me.
A few times I've had to resort to banging pots and pans together to shoo them off... So bears aren't what concerns me.
It's those lions...
Lions are losing their fear of humans and I've seen more in the past two years than I have my whole life.
The last one was while driving to Redding, work related.
It was the biggest cat I've ever seen in the wild... Didn't know they got that big around here.
It went about 275 lbs. and the shoulders... I would not want to encounter a cat that big face to face without a gun.
This latest encounter has changed my mindset about taking my kids deep into the wilderness like we've done on several occasions.
The next time we tromp off off 10-15 miles deep into the forest, I'm gonna have a piece with me just in case...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to User Polls