combination Propane and charcoal grill

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

combination Propane and charcoal grill

Postby tbeau » Wed May 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Does any one know if they make a portable grill that has both propane and charcoal? and if so how well does it work. I have seen a few larger ones listed.
tbeau
Teardrop Advisor

Postby excalibur5 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm

I have never found a portable charcoal/gas combo grill. If they did make one, I wouldn't buy it--the air flow requirements are too different for the types of fuel. Gas grills require a lot of air flow to burn, but charcoal grills should be nearly airtight when closed up in order to control the heat level. (too hot=close up the vents a bit and snuff down the fire).

IMHO, get a Weber Smokey Joe, it will do everything, and are a very well built little grill..

If you want a non-portable grill for home use, however, this one is pretty awesome.. Just add the side fire box, and you have a charcoal grill, a texas style offset smoker, and a gas grill for flipping burgers all in one unit.. I have the smoker portion with side fire box, and love it.

http://www.chargriller.com/duogrill.html
excalibur5
Teardrop Inspector

Postby caseydog » Fri May 09, 2008 6:30 pm

I agree on the Smokey Joe. My TD grill is a Smokey Joe Gold, which is a little different. The Gold model travels better, with no holes in the bottom and a locking top.

http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=7&mid=31

Get this, and a few of those small Kingsford MatchLight bags, and you have an easy fire for cooking on the road.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets