Commercial doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Commercial doors

Postby M. Olsen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 am

I've been away from the teardrop forum for a while and now need a little help from the community. I'm looking for commercially produced doors that are suitable for use on a teardrop trailer. Does any body have any information or website links to what is out there currently?

Mike Olsen - Rexburg, Idaho
Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID :^)
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 am

What size door are you looking for?

I looked at a 24x68 for the camper I'm building. At around $350 for the door plus another $150 for shipping I decided to build my own.

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/trailer-doors-windows.html#10238

Be prepared to spend $> $> $>
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby M. Olsen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply SmokeyBob, but a 24X68 door is a little too tall for a teardrop with a 48" side wall. I've actually got a local couple that are requesting me to build them a teardrop so to me the $'s aren't quite as important as having a good quality door that seals up tight.

It looks like I could get the same door that you linked to from a different vendor for a substantial savings by using my wholesale account. I'm really not interested in having to cut it down to fit though.

Does any body know of any other options out there other than building my own again?

Mike
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:31 pm

M. Olsen wrote:Thanks for the reply SmokeyBob, but a 24X68 door is a little too tall for a teardrop with a 48" side wall. I've actually got a local couple that are requesting me to build them a teardrop so to me the $'s aren't quite as important as having a good quality door that seals up tight.

It looks like I could get the same door that you linked to from a different vendor for a substantial savings by using my wholesale account. I'm really not interested in having to cut it down to fit though.

Does any body know of any other options out there other than building my own again?

Mike

I believe you can now buy doors from "Little Guy" manufacturing out of Canton, OH....Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that....ok..I looked it up...here's the link:
http://www.golittleguy.com/shop/index.php?productID=43

Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby grant whipp » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 am

Mike!

I've now got 4-corner radius doors in 24x36 and 32x36 as blanks (no windows) or with windows installed ... info will be up on my site by the end of the week (and I'll post some pics here, too).

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Creamcracker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 am

grant whipp wrote:Mike!

I've now got 4-corner radius doors in 24x36 and 32x36 as blanks (no windows) or with windows installed ... info will be up on my site by the end of the week (and I'll post some pics here, too).

CHEERS!

Grant

Great, Grant --- looking forward to seeing those doors. I'm just not happy with mine and I'm at a stage where I could still switch out.
Philip
Image Image
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby M. Olsen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:41 am

grant whipp wrote:Mike!

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant you're awesome! I can't wait to see them. Any early reports on pricing or should I just be patient and wait a few more days? :twisted:

Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby johnb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 pm

I've taken the plunge for the little guy doors - they arrived a couple weeks ago. My cutout is 26 wide by 32 high. Seems like it will work great, solid door mounted in frame. These come up on ebay as well although I didn't see anyone getting a steal there. Definitely adds to the cost though.
johnb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:52 pm

O.K., Guys & Gals ...

... here's the info I promised:

NEW from Li'l Bear Tag-Alongs!
4-corner Radius "Drop-in" Entry Doors
• RV-style latches, lockable from inside with deadbolt
• Black powdercoated aluminum frames
• Smooth, gloss white aluminum skin
• Availabe in LH or RH

2 sizes: 24"W x 36"H and 32"W x 36"H

Introductory Prices:

ImageImage
$125.00 ea. (plus S&H) - 24x36 blanks (no window)
$195.00 ea. (plus S&H) - 24x36 with 10x17 Radius-corner Screened Slider Window installed

$175.00 ea. (plus S&H) - 32x36 blanks (no window)

$265.00 ea. (plus S&H) - 32x36 with 14x21 Radius-corner Screened Slider Window installed

$325.00 ea. (plus S&H) - 32x36 with 28x20 Radius-corner screened Verticle Slider Window installed
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:12 pm

....very cool Grant...you da door man now :thumbsup: ....I bet those prove to be very popular...what thickness wall will they fit...how about an edge picture....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Creamcracker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Ok Grant -- what about thickness? Are they designed/ will they fit a 3/4 inch plywood sidewall? Is the surface something that can be painted on easily? Also -- I have some windows -- how difficult would it be to cut a hole in the door to place windows in if I were to buy the solid doors.

Philip
Image Image
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:22 am

Ya know ...

... I never thought to measure the outer-frame thickness ... :oops: ... but I'm going to guestimate 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". They'll mount into virtually any wall thickness (even fiberglass) ... you just might need to get a bit creative on the inside edge trimming of the wall opening if the wall thickness is much over 1-1/2"

The doors themselves are 1/2" thick, and cutting into them to fit your own windows shouldn't pose any serious challenges ... just make sure the blade in your saw is a fine metal-cutting blade, as both the inner and outer surfaces are aluminum skin.

Painting will be a breeze ... just scuff & squirt ... ;) ... even the outer frames will take paint easily (I'll be doing a few in Hammertone Silver for my own trailers!).

Glad you guys like 'em! I won't tell you what I've had to go through to get 'em ... :?

'Til later, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:26 am

Nice looking doors Grant.

Do they get screwed in from the outside or are they held in from the inside via a clamp ring?

Can you get a close up picture of a corner that might help us visualize that?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 am

Grant, It looks like they come in white aluminum - do you see it possible to overlay with natural(silver) aluminum if we want to?

thanks for finding these!
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:44 pm

mikeschn wrote:... Do they get screwed in from the outside ...?

Yep! And the black vinyl screwcover to hide the screwheads is included ...

exminnesotaboy wrote:... It looks like they come in white aluminum - do you see it possible to overlay with natural(silver) aluminum if we want to?

Yes, I do. In fact, I'll be doing a few like that for my own trailers. Might even play around with some wood-grained laminate ... or some camo vinyl ... :thinking: ...? Lots of possibilities ... ;) ...

CHEERS!

Grant
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques