Camping in the wild, where too? Cliped from another thread

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Camping in the wild, where too? Cliped from another thread

Postby Mary K » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 pm

the dog wrote:
Mary K wrote:
Micro469 wrote:
Not sure about the States, but up here we have a lot of Crown Land.. land owned by the Government. There are some areas off the highways where you can pull into VERY secluded sites and camp. No water, no toilets, and if you'r lucky, a small lake. Also, free. If you can get your car into it, you can camp.....

I was just wondering if there were places like that. Here in the US of course. Is there public land like that and if so how would you find out where it is?
:thinking: Should I make this another Thread?

Mk

Mary. If you do want to make another thread it may be a good idea and help to some people. It wouldn't be hard to setup a privative camp tear gathering here. Just timing, it must be done in our 2 weeks of summer. My utility trailer has a fold up ramp, sticks up close to 6 feet. I can barely see a corner of it this morning, sticking out the snow pack.

I found camping in other states, mostly a visitor isn't aware it's OK to camp somewhere other than designated campgrounds. In Maine there are places like that all over, free, beautiful, easy access for the most part. Logging roads cut into wilderness areas and your welcome to camp anywhere. Public land, lease land, BLM, parks, everywhere. There's more dirt roads than paved and most is free land. Much is waterfront, lakes, bogs, rivers, moose in your camp. Privative sites of course but they are everywhere. Just drive down a dirtroad (car makes most of them easily)next to a river or lake and there are pulloffs anyone can use, first come first serve. Any remote lake you drive into has free camping near the launch. A huge part of this state remains open to anyone to use, furthur north you go you find more. Finding it is easier if you live here or know someone but with some researching or just a little looking it can be found. When I looked for land here I stayed in a couple campgrounds as a base. Once I moved here in 99 I never went to one again, no need. Mainers use these, tourists use the campgrounds, we all meet up on the lake and everyone is happy. Mainers will tease flatlanders but at heart they are good and will help you find these places if you ask. But no, they won't tell you where to fish or what to use.
I prefer privative camps. If I want plug in, water hookup, TV, computer I just stay at home, it's a camp in itself. My backyard is 100 mi of wilderness till you reach Canada and no paved roads between, Appallatian trail (sp) in my backyard, Mt Katadin stretch. I sit out back and watch all kinds of wildlife, saw critters I only thought were in books. Here's a sweet young lady looking at me from the corner of my barn, a hawk dining and a fox hunting. (that moose's belly is 7-8 feet from the ground, the fox is on top 6 feet of pack) Dog
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Mary K » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:08 pm

My Original Question is, Is there public land to (boondock) camp anywhere and where to find info on it?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks Mk.
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby coreyjhen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Here in the west we camp on BLM land - you can find a list of BLM properties at blm.gov. To the best of my knowledge it is legal to camp on any BLM land, although the developed campgrounds are not free.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby the dog » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Mary K wrote:My Original Question is, Is there public land to (boondock) camp anywhere and where to find info on it?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks Mk.

Yeah 8) If you have a destination in mind it helps alot. States differ in land use. Some have lots of BLM land (bureau land management) and depending on how the public uses it depends on if it stays available or is gated. Low impact, keep it clean.

When you look at a destination don't search campgrounds, search public land. Get off the paved road if you want a primative site, they aren't next to I95.

Ask a local. Get gas and ask for free primative sites. You would like to experience the beauty of their state in it's natural surrounding. They will help.

Don't be so apprehensive you drive on thinking that may have been a good spot. Try it out if you find a spot looks good. If it's got vehicle tracks, a fire ring, isn't posted. CAMP! I have never been chased off or harassed, not anywhere.

If there is a fire ranger or ranger station, ask. A logging operation base, ask. I have gotten maps of logging roads for a couple bucks. It shows every road, every corner. Roads are marked with say 1213 for a name, corners are marked and log trucks call out what corner they are nearing (get a CB). Camp anywhere at all on BLM land that allows access.

Find state regs like do you need an approved fire ring? Approved ring does not mean a license tag on it, just cleared around and over, sensible stuff and they really are everywhere. Dig a latrine if you don't have a potty. Don't cut trees. Be nice to Mother Nature. Respect the land and it will stay open.

Get state gazetteers. Maine's' is awesome, it has roads, dirt roads, trails, waterways and campgrounds are marked. (new one came out) Even primative ones. Some camping atlas have these well marked with little symbols and have details.

State and National parks have campgrounds but they also have primitive areas. We have alot of unincorporated land, parkland set aside, BLM, and especially timber land. It's private owned or leased but open to use. In Ca I camped in the desert, in Az I camped in the desert. Wa in BLM land. I honestly don't think 10% of my camping time has been in a paid camp.

I have searched the net for dry camping, free camping and found ideas. Baja board is a good one. See a lake you like or an area? Google earth it and see what you can come up with.

It's not hard, it's a mindset change. Like I mentioned, think different, think public land, think free. I'll have more ideas pop up and will add them. I'll also help anyone wants to visit and camp in Maine, if I can. Dog
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels." Diogenes of Sinope
the dog
Teardrop Builder

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Mary K wrote:My Original Question is, Is there public land to (boondock) camp anywhere and where to find info on it?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks Mk.

Mary K ~ 8)

How are you lady? ;)

Boon-docking
Came across a website that has much info and a section on boon-docking
for the snow birds so to speak. Wanted to share with you just in case you
ever decide to plan a trip to the southwest during one of your winters.

There is a thriving community in Arizona and the California boarder run
along hwy 10 near Quartzite AZ and Blythe CA. Google them and you will
see. Phoenix as well as these places cater to retired people big time with
discounts galore.

Here are those links to Boon-docking & BLM Information:
http://www.boondockingguide.com/
http://telusplanet.net/public/waters/links.htm

I got this from the Sticky I started ages ago ~ Under Camping Secrets:
Websites >Neat-Fun-Info on camping others will enjoy
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:22 am

I put this in Steve's sticky and here cause it is free places all over Missouri.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/birdingmo/
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks Folks, this is great!!!

Steve, I am doing great. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I wish, I was could retire now. And go visit the wonderful places.

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby coreyjhen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:26 pm

You might also consider the boondocking group on Yahoo (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/boondockinglocations/). There are lots of active boondockers in your part of the country.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby Platbiker » Tue May 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Utah- my home state, is nearly ALL public land..( about 75% of our population is in the area east of the Great Salt Lake...) it essentially works like this around here:

1. BLM land/School Trust land: has the least restrictions- but also the least services- camping is allowed almost anywhere you want- however you won't have power, or sewer, etc...The most solitude friendly option...
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en.3.html

State land/State(and National) forest/State parks- will often have some designated campgrounds but camping in most places is allowed if you don't want or need hook-ups- there may or may not be fees, or services provided and often the services are merely a firepit and a flatish place to park or pitch a tent...this option can be somewhat less solitary- but can offer a little more in the way of creature comforts like water, showers and restrooms....
http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/sta ... shtml#Utah

3. National Parks- Have most amenities- restrooms, water, hookups, and even stores but there are usually a lot of folks around and it can be a little like living in a city unless you do your homework and get good reservations and get off the beaten path.... There is almost always a pretty strictly enforced set of rules to contend with too...
http://www.nps.gov/state/UT/

I should add here, that in Utah at least- if not most of the West, there is A LOT that falls through the cracks of print and internet...I often find myself pulling out from one hiking /exploring/camping area to find myself pulling over again a turn or two down the road... there is just literally TOO Much here to take advantage of to get it ALL onto the printed page or the internet...Keep in mind that just getting out here will open up a multitude of opportunities!...unnamed canyons to hike, extinct volcanoes, dinosaur tracks , improbable wildlife, ( the one that comes immediately to mind is the Tarantula Hawk - a Wasp about 3-5" inches long that hunts tarantulas...) stake a mining claim, find ancient artifacts,.....too much to even describe...

REGARDING ROADS and teardrops/TTT's:
Utah is known for some tough roads/terrain- however MOST roads are fine for Tears- even dirt or gravel roads- the ones that are not appropriate are usually well marked or OBVIOUS....however in that grey area between what is "towable" and "not towable" might very well come down to your own skills and judgment...having said that, I haven't found myself in very many situations that a shovel and some ingenuity couldn't solve....(and having said that- even in the worst situations most folks can be safe if they just have WATER( wise Utahns go into the back country with at least ten gallons of emergency water...), and stay put...even in the MOST REMOTE areas a hiker or ATV rider will probably be by within a survivable amount of time...

Personally, when I travel out in the western U.S. I like to camp in BLM/State/National forest lands and make day trips into the Parks, (if possible) but I haven't much use for electricity, or plumbing, or other peoples noise, or smoke, or Rangers ticketing me for leaving water out for my dog....(but thats just me...)

I am going to make a POINT of getting some some specific trips/ routes on this forum- I know TONS of places to go , but documenting them is difficult....so many to choose from and so few documented....(if I post any Flyfishing Destinations rest assured that they are only second best though...)
Last edited by Platbiker on Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue May 13, 2008 7:25 pm

If by chance you decide to camp in the government owned forest in the South, you might consider taking some extra nonperishable food along, canned meats and beans, that kind of stuff. The homeless population in the forests is at an all time high, there are a lot of good people that circumstance has placed them in this very vulnerable position. Just surviving can be a full time job, you can't get ahead on day labor wages. Just remember a lot of the homeless are veterans, families, and folks that just can't figure out how to get back up. Also beware, there are some crazy sumbiches too 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 13, 2008 7:52 pm

good thread, lots of good links... :twisted:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Tue May 13, 2008 8:14 pm

MK, I have camped in Arkansas, along the Talamena Trail in the woods by taking the fire control roads off the beaten path. You can get away from it all, but still have reasonable facsimiles of roads to drive on. 4WD or AWD doesn't hurt, especially if it rains, but you don't need a lot of ground clearance.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm

caseydog wrote:MK, I have camped in Arkansas, along the Talamena Trail in the woods by taking the fire control roads off the beaten path. You can get away from it all, but still have reasonable facsimiles of roads to drive on. 4WD or AWD doesn't hurt, especially if it rains, but you don't need a lot of ground clearance.

CD

My grandpa took me to some places close to the Talimena Trail to fish when I was just a little kid. It was close to Mena, Arkansas. Now that was a beautiful place, lots of rocks for a kid to throw :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue May 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
It was close to Mena, Arkansas. Now that was a beautiful place, lots of rocks for a kid to throw :D

I don't think that airport is too kid or tourist friendly anymore is it. Seems to me Bill and Hillary know it quite well as do their South American connections.
8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby ArtMini » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 pm

One of the things that inspired me to build my tear drop is something that happen last fall. My G/F and I were up in the white mountains in NH last Oct., we went to ride the cog rail road ( http://www.thecog.com/ ). Anyway we missed our reservation and had to reschedule for the next day. Now we were left with a 3 hour drive home to Mass or stay over. We drove around for a while site seeing and found a few dirt roads right off the main road leading down to a small steam. And there were people camping in almost every one we saw, camping out. I thought this was soooo cool. and all I could think was if we had a camper we wouldn't have to drive all the way home. Well we did end up going to a motel for the nite and rode the train the next day, and yes it was awesome. but just about every where we went for those 2 days i saw places where you could just pull over and camp out. Now I'll be ready this year :-)

Art

It was close to Mena, Arkansas. Now that was a beautiful place, lots of rocks for a kid to throw :D[/quote]

I don't think that airport is too kid or tourist friendly anymore is it. Seems to me Bill and Hillary know it quite well as do their South American connections.
8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Camping Secrets