Axle placement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Axle placement

Postby Gerdo » Sun May 22, 2005 8:29 pm

I will be building my teardrop 4.5'h x 5'w x 10'L and it will be cut around the wheelwells so I can't move my axle later so I must get it right the first time. I was thinking of putting the axle 48" from the back. Should I move it back? I want to build it like the "Baja Benroy".
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun May 22, 2005 8:35 pm

im setting mine at 40in center hub from the rear. i read some where thats the sweet spot :thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bigmcgiv » Sun May 22, 2005 8:35 pm

im setting mine at 40in center hub from the rear. i read some where thats the sweet spot :thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 22, 2005 10:48 pm

I would use those dimensions as a starting point. I'm probably not the person to listen to as I just kind of wing things as I go along. I set the axle according to the KC plans. Then stood back and looked at it, kicked the axle a couple of inches forward, sketched it out on paper and decided that I was going to build it so that it looked good from the side regardless of where they said to put the axle. I figure that I can counterbalance it with coolers, etc... I wasn't too concerned about the balance as I was the overall look. Just my opinion and thoughts on it. These trailers are so small that I think you can compensate weight pretty easily. I would think that you might want to make it appear in proportion with fenders in relation to the doors, front, back etc... Again, this is just my opinion. A couple of inches isn't going to be something you can't compensate for. Doug Hodder 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun May 22, 2005 11:24 pm

Here's a side view of the trailer with the rain gutter in the galley, it was at the dam gathering last month. Notice the placement of the axle, it's right under the door and centered under the trailer. It's a really cool trailer too. Günter did a fantastic restoration job on it.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thimsteardrop/detail?.dir=5da0&.dnm=11b7.jpg&.src=ph
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques