Questions Questions Questions

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Questions Questions Questions

Postby Mighty Mouse » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Yall
Finally got something done on the tear and now I have to really get busy if I'm going to get to use it by vacation. Wife has an ultimatium, "I won't sleep in a tent again and I won't sleep in the back of the HHR." Anyway I have the frame finished and the floor finished,black goop and all. Now my question for MO builders is this, how do I go about getting it liscensed? I am ready to start cutting side walls this weekend and if I can just take the certificate of origin for the trailer to DMV and be done with it cool, but if I need to take the trailer to the HP would I be better off doing it now or must I do it as a finished teardrop? Your knowledge and help would be greatly appriciated as I have to get this done asap!!!.

Thanks for any help pics are in the gallery
Bud
Mighty Mouse
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cynda & Steve » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 pm

I feel your pain. We are building right now, too. Finally got the trailer part put together and then argued for a week on the design. Finally, we're ready to start the woodwork. Sorry, can't help you with MO tags. Our goal is to have it done by mid Sept, but I hope it goes faster than that.
Cynda & Steve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Don't know about MO; but down here in MS, I just took the certificate of origin to the DMV and had no problems. At the time, the trailer wasn't even fully assembled in the driveway.... the tongue wasn't on,,,, the lights still aren't on. To be honest though, I was going to the DMV to renew the tags on my truck and just took a chance that I could register the trailer. A phone call beforehand would have made sense if the trailer was the sole purpose of the trip.

P.S. I had heard (or read) somewhere that the DMV was going to classify the HF trailer as "Homebuilt". Not so in my case. They put the first 4 letters of the Chinese company that made it as the Manufacturer.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 pm

Bud
Haven't done it in going on 4 years but I'm pretty sure that if you have a certificate of origin for the trailer frame, you just take it to the license bureau and pay taxes and license fees. The warrior is licensed as a two wheel trailer and was licensed long before it was done.

With out a certificate, if it hasn't changed you took it to a inspection station that did car inspections to certify it had proper lights and titled it as a homebuilt. I have a car hauler that had a messed up title and I just retitled it that way.

The Warrior cost us about $30 to title and license 4 years ago.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Re: Questions Questions Questions

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Mighty Mouse wrote:Hi Yall
Finally got something done on the tear and now I have to really get busy if I'm going to get to use it by vacation. Wife has an ultimatium, "I won't sleep in a tent again and I won't sleep in the back of the HHR." Anyway I have the frame finished and the floor finished,black goop and all. Now my question for MO builders is this, how do I go about getting it liscensed? I am ready to start cutting side walls this weekend and if I can just take the certificate of origin for the trailer to DMV and be done with it cool, but if I need to take the trailer to the HP would I be better off doing it now or must I do it as a finished teardrop? Your knowledge and help would be greatly appriciated as I have to get this done asap!!!.

Thanks for any help pics are in the gallery
Bud

I took mine down and licensed it as a utility trailer. MO can be funny about trailers being titled in the first 30 days. They tried to stick me for a back ordered trailer one time. It depends on who you work with too. You might call your county clerk.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby exminnesotaboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I registered mine about 2.5 years ago and you can get 3 year tags in Missouri.

I didn't register mine for several months after purchase. The DMV wanted to charge me late fees for this until I told them(and I had to push the issue) that it was an "unassembled" trailer. Once they understood that it wasn't built and usable until now, they waived all late fees. However, they started the 3 year tags from the original date of purchase - no big deal.

I did not mention that I built a camper on the frame, I thought that would confuse the issue more so I just registered it as a utility trailer. However, I did bring it to the insurance company to insure it as a camper.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Oh yeah I can imagine me going down to our local and telling them I built a camper on it two years ago. :? :lol: NOT! When I put a motor on my canoe, which doesn't require registering here they wanted to stick me for twenty years of back taxes and fees. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh man did I rip them a good one. Then they wanted me to say the seller used it in MO. Well he was from OK. So I kindly and loudly said "you want me to lie about a canoe that didn't need registering anyway." 8) :D :) Had to insist they send it to Jefferson City and see what happened.....nada. A lot of folks have no trouble with their local people but here............
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mighty Mouse » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks for the replys yall. Guess I will take the certificate of origin in and see what happens, the people here are pretty decent to work with if you are polite and don't come in acting like its their fault you have to get a tag. Getting a new delay now just got stopped on the way home from work , the nice officer just wanted to know if I was aware that I had no tail lights. Actually I told him I just found out 2 blocks back when a guy on a motorcycle pulled up beside me to tell me. Luckily I was about 6 blocks from home and can check it out in the morning, no ticket, no warning just wanted to make sure I knew. Well that and he admited he wanted to see the panel truck closer LOL. Hope its just a blown fuse and I don't have to take it back to the dealer tommorow. Anyway thanks for the help knew I could count on you.

Bud
Mighty Mouse
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:41 am

:applause: :thumbsup: and here's one for the decent officer. We have some awesome officers here too. Just some of the people at DMV when presented with anything out of the ordinary freak. Then they start trying to cover for any and all issues. :? :shock:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mighty Mouse » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:11 am

Just to let ya know it was just a blown fuse on the HHR. Not sure what caused it, the trailer checked out ok and didn't blow the fuse again when I hooked it up to see if it would. Mystery not solved but better a cheap fix than a wasted day at the dealer and still no clue what went wrong.

Bud
:D
Mighty Mouse
Teardrop Builder

Return to North Central