Need a simple cheap heater

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Cupcake » Sun May 11, 2008 8:08 pm

starwars wrote:I have been wondering if a water heating system might work. You have a campfire, so put a coil of tubing in the fire and pump water to a car heater core inside the teardrop.

I've thought about doing this myself (as a Licensed Heating and Cooling guy and an Engineer). I probably would if I weren't shooting for super-light weight to tow with my Ford Focus. (I'm hoping to keep my finished, hard sided popup for 2 under 500lb, 600 with gear). Warm floors in winter...excellent!

Keep a good fire going all day and you can heat all night if you bury the coil under the earth.
Cupcake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 am

No electricity, no propane,

34 degrees to 78 in 12 minutes. Stove is a fully functional pot belly stove 14" tall ( an E-Bay find ) "Logs" ar cut to 3" or less and it works great. Thanks again to "prohandyman" for my mini logs!
Some dummy forgot the top piece of the 2 piece stack and it didn't draw well but that was operator error not design. I remove the passenger side window and clamp on a niech that houses the stove and remove it for transport. There talking 48 degrees for a low this week at The Brown County Blowout so I may take it and try again~~~ this time I'll take all the parts.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby b.bodemer » Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Like Tim I have found the Mr. Heater to work great.

I have not found the need to use it in the cabin of my td but when I truck camped I made a shelf and anchored the Mr Heater to it(I have a longbed for my Ford F150). Like Tim mentioned it has screws holes in the back of the unit. Ran the long hose outside to the large propane tank. I always vented more than what they suggested and never had it ever go out.

I camped in 23 degree temp overnight in Canada while staying in a conservatory. I experienced just the opposite of Danny with no moisture problems at all.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

2 words for you...

Postby ArtMini » Sun May 25, 2008 7:39 am

LONG JOHNS!! :lol: I have camped in a van in northern Maine in late Sept. and man was it cold. Slept in full clothes, hat, coat , herman survivor boots, and lots of blankets. Don't miss those days at all LOL . TD will definitely have heat of some kind

Art
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ArtMini » Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 am

starwars wrote:I have been wondering if a water heating system might work. You have a campfire, so put a coil of tubing in the fire and pump water to a car heater core inside the teardrop.

that isn't a bad idea? you know a cold plate works the same way, run a coil of copper tube thru ice to chill a beverage (usually adult beverage) but could you run a coil of copper tube under the floor? thinking on the lines of base board heat I guess. pump hot water through it? but then again do you want to leave a camp fire burning all night? and aren't you defeating the purpose of running some kind of power when you run a pump? that needs power to? Ok now you got me thinking LOL

Art
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby del » Mon May 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Miriam C. wrote:I am personally not using propane for heat but Del went in winter from Washington st. to Florida and back with one. I don't think he used it when sleeping and he has a 12volt bed warmer, no insulation in the td at the time.

Personally I would rely on 0 degree sleeping bags, battery powered bed warmers and something for while you are awake. My electric works great but I am saving for a propane furnace like Mike's. :thumbsup:
Yes i did use the heater while I slept, important note the vent was cracked open anytime the heater was used. The 12 volt electric blanket made the most difference though, too bad it is on a timer, cause I woke up soon after it turned off every time, pushed the button and went back to sleep. Next year I hope to have insulation.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby slyeager » Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm

http://wisconsinoutdoor.com/smf/index.php?topic=450.0

good idea for hot water and could be converted for a base board unit.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

heater

Postby dwe » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:23 pm

What I have is a dashboard hearet. I put a 12 V outlet on ta thermostat and plug in the dashboard heater that is mounted on the cealing. Works good but it can't be to cold. We also use a 120 electric heater just to warm up the camper then unplug it and use the 12 V heater.
If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough!
dwe
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has posted this.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod369053

They stay warm for 8 hours, are $6-7 dollars and they have worked great for me in the past. I used to stuff one of these on each side of my inner most layer of clothing while marching in sub freezing temperatures for different parades that we've done. They work great for heating your core. Which if your extremities are in the sleeping bag with you, you'd be snug as a bug in a rug, and for less than $10, specially if you only camp in cold weather once in a blue moon.

If you really want warmth just buy a few and toss one down by your feet and whatever else.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:56 am

My two cents- I have one inch of styrofoam in the walls and ceiling-four inches under a five inch foam mattress. Best of all I have the most beautiful wife to cuddle with! It's often too warm under the opened sleeping bag. Just the top sheet is enough most of the time.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Jim T » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Steve,
I am with you. A well insulated trailer with curtains on the windows is a big part of the answer. After that, a hot dutch oven and a warm blanket should do the trick. :thumbsup: The zero degree guys are going to need more, but in Texas we don't have that problem. (Thank Goodness!)
Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm with Art Mini. Long Johns and a good pair of wool socks when you turn in at night if it's cold outside.

The one time I found myself out at my camping site and had brought everything except my TENT, :cry: the Long Johns, Wool Socks and Wool Cap came in very handy. :thumbsup: Of course I had a good cold weather sleeping bag and I used a tarp as a makeshift tent. Hopefully that'll never happen again.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets